I guess my point is that it's not a memorization issue. You don't have to memorize the locations of buttons; if you play video games then the paradigm is in place and quickly learned. If as you suggest you used the SNES controller reasonably well, using the PS controller would be remarkably similar once you got used to it and allowed experiential learning rather than effortful learning to get you going.
There are some games that require memorization, and I don't generally like them much - many "advanced" fighting games have complex and non-intuitive input sequences. However, in well-designed games controlling them is a much simpler and more easily-developed motor skill than driving a car. I don't think that the claim that it requires the commitment of a job is accurate - it does, however, require the commitment of learning how to play, just as most recreations do.
My main issue with 'exaggerating for comic effect' on this point is that there are a lot of people, particularly console zealots, who will make exactly that sort of claim about their least-favorite console's controllers. If I come off as overly-touchy as a result of that, sorry. It's a bit like making a long rant about how much Mac/Windows/Linux sucks, and then later posting "c'mon, it was for comic effect": the long and stupid Holy Wars make people tired of it.