I got one, as I mentioned in the Thanksgiving thread. I got in line at Best Buy at 6 AM and I was number 55 out of 63 people who got a unit.
Worth. Every. Penny.
And every minute of the five hours I spent in line to get it. Wii Sports was included, of course, but I picked up Super Monkey Ball and the Marvel heroes game as well, plus a second controller. So far, Wii Sports has gotten the most playtime by far. SMB comes in second with Marvel a surprisingly distant third. Marvel looks and feels a lot like X-Men Legends and the other games do a much better job of integrating the new controls.
Wii is a system to bring non-gamers into the fold. Even my 63 year old grinch of a father bowled ten frames with us on Thanksgiving. My cousin's eight year old daughter beat me three out of five tennis matches, and I didn't let her win. My six year old nephew p0ned at boxing and tennis and my four year old niece rocked bowling off its balls. My aunt, who had a stroke three years ago, played golf without letting go of her cane. My 59 year old mom hit a double and pitched a no-hitter in the same baseball game.
For people who already love games, though, the Wii offers new challenges. The new controller is intuitive and easy to learn, which means that you can stop focusing on memorizing button combinations and start focusing on playing the darned game. It virtually eliminates repetitive and dull "tutorial" levels and lets you get right in on the action. And the games are designed to be more family-oriented, more inclusive, and more social. There will still be single-player FPSs, no doubt, but most games play at least two if not four (provided you can get your hands on extra controllers).
Wii Sports has the same feel as Donkey Konga, in that it's fun by yourself but the fun increases exponentially the more people you have gathered around drinking (root) beer with you. So, get one if you can. Especially if you have kids. Especially if you love games (of any kind). Especially if you want a console you can play with friends.
Or, come visit Raleigh and we can all play mine.