Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood The bus is crossing Klickitat St., home of Ramona Quimby. It's pretty swank these days. No sign of Nosmo King.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Nintendo Wii  (Read 44706 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Nintendo Wii
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2007, 01:55:38 am »

0310 7415 6857 4965

My character is Dick.
Logged
ACHIEVE

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Nintendo Wii
« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2007, 10:16:56 pm »

My updates:

Wario Ware:  awesome, but replay value is pretty low.  More fun than the Gamecube version, but THE MULTIPLAYER SUCKS BAD, that is a shock.  All the multiplayer games use one controller that must be passed around.  Get your controller back covered in cheese doodle dust.  Man, all yous get the fuck out of my basement.  Assholes.

Madden:  my favorite game, best Madden ever, completely annihilates the XBox version in gameplay, I'd say a must-own.  Playing Wii Madden was like, man... until this, I have never played Madden before.  A++++++++

Rayman Rabbits:  I despise the entire Rayman series, hate it to hell, my buddy bought the game, and while it exceeded my expectations, I still can't say I liked it.  It's a little like Wario Ware, all minigames, but in the mini-games you do the same friggin' thing for 2 straight minutes instead of 3 seconds and move on, and if you fail, another 2 straight minutes of doing some frustrating task.  Lame.  Don't ever buy any Rayman game, seriously.

Monkeyball:  Huge dissapointment.  The problem with the multiplayer games is that you play games that would be simple in real life (ie. ring toss) and the precision control required to succeed makes them incredibly frustrating.  You think, fuck, this would be so much easier in real life.  See, this is why Wii Sports is so good, you're playing pro tennis like no problem, awesome.  But getting frustrated over tossing rings onto sticks?  GTFO.  Madden mini games are the perfect middle ground, Madden minigames are what Monkeyball should be.  Punting, kicking, precision throwing, they require precision, but it doesn't make you want to tear your pubes out.  Except for the defensive drills, fuck to those.  Monkeyball one player, not that good either, I dunno what happened.

All in all, Madden and Sports have been the only serious keepers so far.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Nintendo Wii
« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2007, 11:22:46 pm »

I got:

Red Steel
At heart it's a shit game but it's so goddamn awesome because of the controller. Aiming is a breeze, and it's incredibly fun. Little touches like being able to hold your gun on it's side when you tilt the controller show the huge potential for better shooters. So, not a great game, but none the worse for it.


Zelda
To be honest I've only been watching my brother, but there's just something about Zelda games that's really unique and awesome. Anyone who has played Ocarina of Time will understand


Rayman
Quirky and designed with having fun in mind. Minigames are generally quite fun, though some are insanely frustrating and/or require one person holding the nunchuck and the other holding the Wiimote in order to complete in a fun way. All in all though, ain't so bad, and is a laugh.


Sports
Will probably pale into insignificance when some real good tennis/golf/baseball sims come out, but this is a lot of fuck*ng fun.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Nintendo Wii
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2007, 05:06:58 am »

I've had the Wii for a few weeks now, and the only game I have besides Wii Sports is Zelda. Oddly enough, I haven't even played it yet. Well, I did play it, but only enough to realize the graphics looks like dinosaur poop when played on an HDTV. I'm waiting til I can find a set of component cables, which I can probably do right now, but I'm procrastinating. I would probably move a lot faster in that department if I wasn't still having such a great time with Wii Sports. I finally got a character to the pro level in boxing, but I'm afraid to ever touch that character again for fear that I might lose and be sent to the ranks of the amateur once again. I'm also having a lot of fun with Wii Golf, probably my favorite game in the set. I suck at playing the slope on the green, but I've gotten so good with my driver and iron that I can damn near shoot skeet with them.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Nintendo Wii
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2007, 09:25:04 am »

In boxing Pro isn't as far as you can go, after like 1600 rank or so you fight your trainer for the championship, and after you're the champ they send guys after you that are insanely hard.  I haven't achieved this myself, a friend of mine plays boxing almost exclusively, he has a rank of like 1800.  In two player, I can knock him down once, but anyone he fights he can knock out in like 8 seconds.  He says the secret is to hold the controllers low and to really snap them to throw the punches, but that doesn't really work for me.

My best was shooting six under on all nine.  But I haven't played sports since I bought Madden and company.
Logged
ACHIEVE

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Nintendo Wii
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2007, 12:02:03 am »

Ok, check this out, I discovered the secret to Wii boxing.

The key is to dodge punches like a madman.  You have to fight like Prince Naseem, never guard and do nothing but dodge.  You basically can just step left and right randomly, nonstop until you get perfect dodges and go into matrix mode.  When you matrix the opponent, throw a combo, maybe hook and a jab, or two jabs if you're on the inside, or two hooks if you see their hands too high.  Never take the offense, do nothing but counterpunch and you'll pretty much never get taken down.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Wii
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2007, 08:43:02 am »

I played Wii Sports over at a friend's house, where I discovered you can win almost every tennis match if you choose the 'up' position and just flail the wiimote madly whenever the ball comes near.  You will flap around like an armless Neo and deliver some awesome volleys.

I also discovered you can make some truly disturbing Miis.  They are named Angelina and Steve and they will haunt your dreams.  I set them to 'public' -- can they go meet other Wiis online, or do you only get visited by friends?  I hope they are somewhere scaring random strangers.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Nintendo Wii
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2007, 08:48:14 pm »

yeah, guys on my floor made a couple of really terrifying ones. Little mustache, aviator sunglasses... terrifying.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Wii
« Reply #83 on: February 06, 2007, 08:59:05 pm »

I made a deal with The Boy and Spouse to split the cost of a Wii if The Boy got together half the ca$h. Little booger routed up enough soda cans in 8 days to make his half of the nut.

Keep laying on the game reviews as I'm using y'all for inputs on this.
Logged
We must repeat!

coldfrog

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 30
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 165
  • From Shakespeare's Lights upon Friday's Eve
    • View Profile
    • Some crappy pictures I do sometimes
Re: Nintendo Wii
« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2007, 11:32:25 pm »

If you're a shoot-em-up nerd who loves the classics, I recommend the Metal Slug Anthology.  7 ridiculously nuts shooting games with goofy movie parodies, hilarious enemies, and, as is common in the genre, near-impossible to survive difficulty.  Additionally, if you're not that into the challenge but like the idea of the game and want to see the silly stuff they have, there is an infinite credit option.

As an example, my favorite bit in one of the games is that you can be turned into a zombie, and you have this exaggerated zombie-swagger that is just hilarious to watch, and also your special move is a vomiting blood attack which is pretty bizarre to watch.  If you liked Contra or Gunstar Heroes (downloadable on VC by the way) then you should get this.  And get a friend to play with you.  So much better that way. (But if you like contra you already knew that)

And then, if you want to download stuff from online if you have the option, outside the obvious classics I recommend Alien Crush (a pinball game).
Logged
Let no man put asunder what I believe is thee proper attyre for footballe.

gloomba

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 63
  • One stomp and he dies . . . . 100 PTS.
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Wii
« Reply #85 on: August 24, 2007, 08:14:23 pm »

I saw the XBox 360 thread and got jealous, so I'm making a half-hearted attempt to resurrect this thread and get some Wii friend codes.

My code is 7408 5071 1336 5149 (note: that is not a credit card number).  I'm adding those of you who posted yours earlier in the thread.  Any other Wii owners, speak up.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Wii
« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2007, 12:31:06 am »

So, uh, does anyone like their Wii?  I haven't played it in a long time and wish I had gotten a 360.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

gloomba

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 9
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 63
  • One stomp and he dies . . . . 100 PTS.
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Wii
« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2007, 12:32:50 am »

So, uh, does anyone like their Wii?

Yes.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Wii
« Reply #88 on: September 14, 2007, 05:06:41 pm »

We play a lot.  Little P likes to swing a Wiimote around in Tennis, and he is starting to get the hang of using a thumbstick so he can make Mario run around.  (We downloaded SM64.)  We also use it to play youtube videos for him. 

We don't get to play a lot of games that we wouldn't want him to watch us playing, so Mario and sports games are taking a front seat right now.  Our xbox, on the other hand, hasn't even been plugged in since we moved. 

YMMV. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Nintendo Wii
« Reply #89 on: September 14, 2007, 05:12:38 pm »

I played Rockstar Table Tennis for Wii last night, and it was pretty good. Definitely one of the better multiplayer games out there. I might have to pick it up when it comes out. That, followed by cleaning six months of dust off my Wii.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13   Go Up