Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that nobody but Wombat notices what is in the News Box?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Kramer's Racist Rant  (Read 6672 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Kramer's Racist Rant
« on: November 20, 2006, 04:41:01 pm »

Michael Richards, Seinfeld's Kramer, goes on a racist rant at his show.  You can't make this stuff up folks.

Link
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Kramer's Racist Rant
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 06:48:13 pm »

Quote from: FlipConstantine
Michael Richards, Seinfeld's Kramer, goes on a racist rant at his show.  You can't make this stuff up folks.

Yiiiiiiikes.

That wasn't just racist, that was a racist nervous breakdown. It wasn't just offensive, it was sad.

Where did you go, Stanley Spedowski? An aching nation turns its eyes to you.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Kramer's Racist Rant
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 07:01:47 pm »

Double You Tee Eff!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Kramer's Racist Rant
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 07:16:28 pm »

I've been hopelessly under-exposed to Seinfeld, but I know this guy was great in it, and this is really a pretty good example of hopelessly sad career decline. When you're standing in front of a sign saying 'Laugh Factory', racially cussing on some black dudes for talking too loud, it's time to make a dignified retirement plan using the millions of dollars from your big break in one of the world's best and most successful sitcoms.

Basically, to paraphrase a man from the video: "It's not funny, that's why you're a reject, never had no shows, never had no movies, 'Seinfeld', that's it."
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Kramer's Racist Rant
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 09:37:26 pm »

It's just a publicity stunt for his new series in which a judge orders him to be a black dude's butler.
Logged
ACHIEVE

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Kramer's Racist Rant
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 09:41:18 pm »

Good lord, that was painful to watch.  Fuckin' meltdown.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Kramer's Racist Rant
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 10:23:35 pm »

It's just a publicity stunt for his new series in which a judge orders him to be a black dude's butler.

CAN.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Kramer's Racist Rant
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 12:31:07 am »

It's just a publicity stunt for his new series in which a judge orders him to be a black dude's butler.

Man, funniest thing I've heard in weeks.  Many cans to you, sir.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Kramer's Racist Rant
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 02:20:52 am »

Hey, everybody watch or tape Letterman tonight -- I saw on Countdown that Richards issues via satellite an apology during Jerry's segment.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Kramer's Racist Rant
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 03:43:56 am »

Jesus, I'm getting embarrassed just reading the posts, let alone actually watching his rant. That is awful.
Logged

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Kramer's Racist Rant
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 08:58:42 pm »

His apology on Letterman, for those who haven't seen/heard yet, was terribly awkward but it seemed effortless and joyful compared to the actual rant itself.  Cosmo blames his "rage" and then tries to spin by invoking the idea of Comedy Jiu-Jitsu, in which you realize that your bit/schtick is failing so you use that bad momentum against itself by going SO FAR OVER THE LINE that it's funny again.

I'm guessing some of the Letterman audience hadn't heard about the incident and must have thought Kramer's appearance last night was a gag that Jerry set up because there were little fits of giggling at the start of it as everyone involved just kind of sat there looking squirmy and uncomfortable.  Jerry actually had to tell someone to stop laughing.  Furthermore, it didn't sound like Kramer had any kind of damage control-preparation because he just kind of sat there speechless for a couple of seconds before Dave realized that he'd have to be the moderator.  Richards seemed bewildered about the whole thing, like he was in stunned shock.



Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Kramer's Racist Rant
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 09:19:26 pm »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Kramer's Racist Rant
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 09:34:48 pm »

That almost brought a tear to my eye. I really can't explain why I found the man's apology so moving.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

nix

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Kramer's Racist Rant
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2006, 09:36:15 pm »

Anyone seen this clip?  I think Michael "Kramer" Richards could stand to take a glance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K32JfjxUMf8

Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Kramer's Racist Rant
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006, 11:00:56 pm »

Yea, I am kind of a huge non-racist (more so I think, just because I grew up in a racist hotbed), and what he did was unacceptable.  I also like Michael Richards and Seinfeld.  His apology, at least, was not all hollywood, but that does not make up for what he did.  He was talking about what is underneath, or something, and while that is valid, if he lets whats underneath him (and what he would say is within all of us) be shown, that creates more rage within other people that will sometimes come out, which will create more rage in others, etc.  I do think we all have some racist qualities in us, I mean I don't judge people of different races differently, and have very good friends who are decedents from Africans, Native Americans and Asians, but to some extent, inside of me I do.  It may not be a conscious decision, but I am sure I do things differently in different situations.

What I am trying to say is that I like Michael Richards, but what he said is dangerous.  The United States is very ingrained with racism and that is a problem (that Richards made slightly worse), but while we can condemn Richards (and maybe should) we should look into ourselves and make sure we are not capable of doing the same thing.  I think I could never do something like this, but sometimes I snap in anger.  Would it be any different if I was mad at a African American?  No, but might I say some inexcusable things?  I don't think so, and hope not, but I have never really been in that situation.


I kind of forgot about that fork part.  This was horrible and completly uncalled for.  I think Richards made a decent apology, well, at least better than like Gibson or someone, but should be condemned pretty stongly.




« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 05:16:12 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up