Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Yay us!
Happy 9th Birthday to TOUAMB.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Happy Thanksgiving  (Read 4482 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Happy Thanksgiving
« on: November 23, 2006, 07:01:33 pm »

Hey, where's the Happy Thanksgiving thread?

I had pie for breakfast and then bathed the dogs. They are not thankful.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Happy Thanksgiving
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 07:05:11 pm »

I re-buzzed my head, got sad about how my best friend is beating me at life, took a shower, played Oblivion... I am about to shave, eat dinner with my family, and then go to my girlfriend's aunt's house for dessert.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Thanksgiving
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 08:05:48 pm »

I had a dream about androids trying to rebuild after the death of humanity. I woke up before the mysteries of the plot were revealed, but it's still been the high point so far.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Happy Thanksgiving
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 08:18:33 pm »

I got an Achewood-related Thanksgiving day gift yesterday, so I'm about to unbox and start charging that bad-boy up.  Details on my Flickr account later.

Then I'm going to watch Beerfest while sipping down a few crispy Stellas (which I bought at the drug store - I love Chicago) while the smell of Turkey and stuffing fills my apartment.

Later I will bring a few dinners to old people in my building, and enjoy a nice home cooked Thanksgiving dinner myself while watching the traditional Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Thanksgiving
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 08:30:59 pm »

Inev: Life is not a competition. Really.

Jough: Why is that the traditional film?  We were going to watch Alice's Restuarant, but it didn't arrive in time from Netflix. 
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Happy Thanksgiving
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 08:43:30 pm »

My uncle always listens to Alice's Restaurant Massacre on Thanksgiving.  It must be a thing.

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is about two men (from Chicago, btw), trying to get home for Thanksgiving. 

Are there any otherThanksgiving Day movies?

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Happy Thanksgiving
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 08:44:44 pm »

To all who celebrate: Happy Thanksgiving! Congratulations on having a pretty awesome holiday; while I question it's origins I don't think anyone here could say no to a day where you're supposed to eat vast quantities of food before slobbing off to the couch to watch the game. Apart from the ladies, of course: I hope Thanksgiving is not an oppressive thing for any of you? Is it? Please say it isn't.

Basically, I hope it was awesome.

Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Happy Thanksgiving
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 08:56:38 pm »

Last night, I dreamed of being taken under the wing of some sort of media mogul with the caveat that the office building I worked in was navigable mainly by water slide and so, not only did I have to keep a lot of clothes on hand, but also on slow days the place was opened up to tourists wanting to use the place just as... you know... an indoor water park.

The upside was, like, I got to hang out with Tom Waits and my pay was much better but... just getting around the place was difficult and confusing even for someone who had worked there even for years and years. The media mogul seemed to think that keeping people a little confused helped them think creatively.

My first assignment was helping him think up ways to confuse his staff to the point of getting in his face and questioning his strange business practices. This was how he was going to select his next inner circle of advisors, the first dozen or so people with the balls to call him on his bullshit were clearly the best people to have helping him.

It wasn't a Willy Wonka situation, though.

My Willy Wonka dreams are usually about finding a golden ticket in a copy of "Chinese Democracy" and competing to be trained as the next Axl Rose. No magical elevators, though, it seems that Axl has the only working models of the Back to the Future hoverboards and... that's how you get around his Malibu Rock Factory.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Happy Thanksgiving
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 09:07:59 pm »

I know it isn't a competition, Womby. He's just basically good at all the things in life which I very bad at (working hard, giving a shit, etc.) and it made me have a bit of a freak-out. All better now.

Thanksgiving dinner was pretty delicious.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Thanksgiving
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2006, 10:51:03 pm »

To all who celebrate: Happy Thanksgiving! Congratulations on having a pretty awesome holiday; while I question it's origins I don't think anyone here could say no to a day where you're supposed to eat vast quantities of food before slobbing off to the couch to watch the game. Apart from the ladies, of course: I hope Thanksgiving is not an oppressive thing for any of you? Is it? Please say it isn't.

Basically, I hope it was awesome.



If it makes you feel any better Thanksgiving was invented by a lady.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Thanksgiving
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 01:08:23 am »

Happy Thanksgiving you Rock and Roll Faggots!

I am in St Louis with the in-laws, so it's pretty relaxed for me.  First year in several that I haven't been cooking my ass off.  Anywho, hope you are all well.  Be happy.  Or else.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Happy Thanksgiving
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 01:53:35 am »

Hey, Chicago is on the way home from St. Louis.  So wave to me as your plane flies by. ;)

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Thanksgiving
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 05:11:21 am »

Alice's Restaurant is also a Thanksgiving story, but it should be listened to, the song is much better than the movie.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Thanksgiving
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 06:55:08 am »

My uncle always listens to Alice's Restaurant Massacre on Thanksgiving.  It must be a thing.

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is about two men (from Chicago, btw), trying to get home for Thanksgiving. 

Are there any otherThanksgiving Day movies?


We always listen to Alice's Restaurant by Arlo Guthrie. It's our Thanksgiving Day tradition. Usually me and kellichou kick it because Thanksgiving is really close to our birthday (since we're twins), but since I've been living in Alaska and haven't been able to fly home for Thanksgiving or Christmas in the past 2 years, we just talk on the phone. It's not an adequate substitute for quality time with my Wombie (our pet name for each other... not Wom-by like Wombat, just Wombie).

I had kind of an annoying day. I am pissed because I hate having to do too many things by myself (I think that's a bad omen for trying to become a parent because... dude, how am I going to cope?). I baked my turkey but could NOT find the thermometer that I could've sworn I had purchased, and it ended up later that I didn't bake the turkey long enough. I did the best I could and I could've sworn it was done, but parts of it were still red later. I went to a friend's house for dinner, but she wouldn't let me use her oven because she had too much else to bake, asked me to bake everything at home... so I ended up trying to carry a hot roasted turkey, a bag full of biscuits, aluminum foil, and containers for leftovers, and frikkin' huge casserole dish full o' piping hot sweet potatoes out to my car from my second-floor apartment in this hellish, driving rain. I ended up spilling hot sweet potato juice all down my clothes and had to change. Fuckin' annoying.

 I had a really bad dream last night about Thanksgiving...I dreamed that my employer, which normally gives free turkeys to us for the holidays, stiffed me and only gave me a two-pound turkey! It was literally the size of a fetus. I got really mad and stole a 24-pound turkey, and my mom found out and turned me in for stealing it! I had to pay $150 for the stupid turkey. I tried to bake it and it turned out slightly wrong and overbaked, so in a fit of rage I threw it away. By the time I finally got to my friends' house 's in my dream, everyone had eaten the other turkey she had prepared, and everyone was pissed that I didn't bring one...it also meant that I got no turkey and was hungry. :( What a terrible dream!

Anyway, I spent the evening being kind of irritated and mad that I couldn't be at home with my family. I hope I wasn't too terrible a guest at the dinner. Wombie/Kellichou, I miss you and the family a lot. *sniffle* At least "the boys" (Milan and Lennybruce) are sweet and loving.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Thanksgiving
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2006, 08:49:25 am »

I love thanksgiving.  The best of all holidays (despite it's lame propaganda like meaning).  You get to eat alot, get drunk and watch football with alot of your family (my family is very varied and loud, I don't like most of them, but it is still fun somehow), without all of the bullshit of Christmas.  Plus, white trash church basement green bean casserole is fuck*ng delicious, and I only get to have it once a year (well, I am having seconds as I type this, but you know, only for like 2-3 days tops.)


Also, you gots to have the Alice's Reestaurant on Thanksgiving.

Edit:  One more awesome thing about thanksgiving:  The kick ass roll sandwiches with like Turkey, stuffing, cranberries and maybe some other random thing that might be good the day after Thanksgiving. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 08:53:01 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up