Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that nobody but Wombat notices what is in the News Box?

Poll

Do you wear fragrance? What's your favorite (post below)?

Yes, daily or often
Yes, sometimes or rarely
No
No, it gives me migraines/allergies
No, soap & deodorant are good enough.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby  (Read 27413 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #105 on: August 14, 2007, 03:16:37 am »

OMG. I cannot believe that she thought in a million years that was a good idea. Talk about ridiculous.

It's a good idea in that she probably knocked down five hundred grand for the license.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #106 on: August 14, 2007, 03:29:58 am »

OMG. I cannot believe that she thought in a million years that was a good idea. Talk about ridiculous.

Didn't you see this when it was leaked on Perez Hilton?  Back then I just watched the last part over and over again: "I had to have it" with the crazy eyes.  I actually thought of you, but figured you'd seen it back then.  It's really, really bad and I'm a SJP fan.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #107 on: August 14, 2007, 12:18:40 pm »

Didn't you see this when it was leaked on Perez Hilton?  Back then I just watched the last part over and over again: "I had to have it" with the crazy eyes.  I actually thought of you, but figured you'd seen it back then.  It's really, really bad and I'm a SJP fan.

Oh man, no I did not see it. I only check Perez sporadically. I just saw a photo of him on another site where he was parodying Britney Spears and had on very little clothing. Damn, I wish I could un-see that. For someone who loves to pick on others' appearances, a man who looks as busted as Mr. Perez shouldn't be throwing stones.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #108 on: August 14, 2007, 02:09:16 pm »

Yes.  In a perfect world Perez and Michael Moore would be gay for each other, and have the ugliest gay babies in the world.

But more on topic: I know perfumes can go "bad" - how does one know if this has happened, is there a rule of thumb for how long to keep a perfume?  Are perfume oils more long lasting than perfumes?  etc?  I have hella old perfumes and perfume oils.  I have a really bad tendency to buy perfumes that it turns out I don't like, which means lots of full bottles of things I'll never wear again.  I get pretty easily annoyed with scents.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #109 on: August 14, 2007, 05:19:18 pm »

Yes.  In a perfect world Perez and Michael Moore would be gay for each other, and have the ugliest gay babies in the world.

But more on topic: I know perfumes can go "bad" - how does one know if this has happened, is there a rule of thumb for how long to keep a perfume?  Are perfume oils more long lasting than perfumes?  etc?  I have hella old perfumes and perfume oils.  I have a really bad tendency to buy perfumes that it turns out I don't like, which means lots of full bottles of things I'll never wear again.  I get pretty easily annoyed with scents.

Perfumes turning bad is pretty dicey. Some will literally keep for decades, and I've also bought bottles on eBay that had turned (a really expensive L'Artisan, which made me madder than hell). I guess the only way to tell is to test it on your skin and see how it smells. Perfume oils can go rancid, I think that alcohol based perfume has a better shot at longevity. As with anything, they're best kept someplace out of the light and also in a cooler environment. A lot of my hardcore perfumista friends have actually bought wine storage refrigerators and use them to store their perfumes, which makes sense if you've got a $6,000 collection like they do.

I had a lot of perfume that I didn't like, and I also get bored with them pretty easy. Makeupalley has a swapping system that's pretty cool which is where I got rid of most of mine. I highly recommend it.
Logged

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #110 on: August 15, 2007, 04:14:57 pm »

hardcore perfumista friends

Canned for this phrase.
Logged

Dexter

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 25
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 119
  • Some mothers should not be turned out.
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #111 on: August 16, 2007, 05:36:25 pm »

OMG. I cannot believe that she thought in a million years that was a good idea. Talk about ridiculous.
After reading this I had to watch it, and it's definitely in ridiculous-self-parody territory.  If I hadn't read about it here I would probably have assumed it was an SNL-style fake commercial.
Logged
Y'all don't know what it's like, bein' male, middle-class and white.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #112 on: September 27, 2007, 06:46:38 pm »

After reading this I had to watch it, and it's definitely in ridiculous-self-parody territory.  If I hadn't read about it here I would probably have assumed it was an SNL-style fake commercial.

You're right, it must be poking fun at herself. Crazy idea, imho.

The other day, I got a note left by the USPS saying that they had a registered mail package for me, but I wasn't around to sign for it, so I had to go pick it up at the post office. One of my friends from Milan sent me a ridiculous, gorgeous, insane care package with 9 hand-decanted samples of Serge Lutens parfum. If I tried to buy the equivalent of these samples, I would have spent around $60.00 before shipping costs. As I had to part with most of my Lutens collection, I was moved to tears when I opened the package. Damn. Hell of awesome pressie, Cristina.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #113 on: October 02, 2007, 10:02:27 pm »

I just wanted to post here about the assholish VULTURES on eBay who are trying to sell bottles of Serge Lutens perfume at 150%, 175%, even as high as a 310% markup. FUCK YOU GUYS. Seriously. When I write them polite notes on eBay to explain that the bottle they're trying to fuck*ng gouge me for retails for €105, or $149.58 USD at current exchange rates, they get all pissy and send rude replies. Sorry for calling you out, asshole, but somebody had to do it. *sigh*

I hear rumours that M. Lutens might reverse his bull shit export/non-export policy and allow the coveted bell-shaped bottles to be sold outside the EU. I am extremely fortunate in that I have had a generous friend in the EU offer to forward a bottle to me. All I have to do is pay for the bottle on the Lutens site, and have it shipped to him, and then PayPal him money to cover shipping costs from the EU to the US. A damn fine deal.

Since I will have $1,600 of free cash money in my bank account tomorrow (Alaska's Permanent Fund Dividend) I might just take him up on that offer and splurge on a bottle... but which one to buy???
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #114 on: October 02, 2007, 10:30:30 pm »

Waitaminnit!   Is that going to follow you around for life now?  Or is that your pro-rated dividend based on the fraction of this year's residency?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #115 on: October 02, 2007, 10:51:40 pm »

Waitaminnit!   Is that going to follow you around for life now?  Or is that your pro-rated dividend based on the fraction of this year's residency?

No, the $1,654.00 I am receiving is my net dividend from LAST YEAR (2006). They run a year behind (the 2006 gross dividend was $1,710.00, they take some out for administrative costs and Medical/Public Assistance as per AS 43.23.075). Next year I probably won't be able to claim the PFD since I was in the state during 2007 for only about 6.5 months.

I think you have to a.) make your primary and permanent domicile in Alaska, AND b.) be physically present in Alaska for at least 9 months out of the year to get the PFD. I think...if it's only 6 months, then I might get it next year. Who knows.

Alaska Natives who are shareholders of ANCSA can generally live anywhere they damn please and still collect a check from their local and regional corporations, which are privately held corporations that were formed by natives, for natives to manage their land holdings. That is totally different from the PFD (which is run by the State of Alaska) and is only for ethnic Alaska Natives.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 11:15:39 pm by linnea »
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #116 on: October 02, 2007, 10:58:26 pm »

Quote
I just wanted to post here about the assholish VULTURES on eBay who are trying to sell bottles of Serge Lutens perfume at 150%, 175%, even as high as a 310% markup. FUCK YOU GUYS. Seriously. When I write them polite notes on eBay to explain that the bottle they're trying to fuck*ng gouge me for retails for €105, or $149.58 USD at current exchange rates, they get all pissy and send rude replies. Sorry for calling you out, asshole, but somebody had to do it. *sigh*

aren't goods usually valued at whatever someone will pay for them? I mean, someone else out there is willing to pay the marked-up price...
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #117 on: October 02, 2007, 11:00:26 pm »

Just because unfettered forms of capitalism exist does not make them right or proper.

The Invisible Hand of Adam Smith is doing us all up the butt.

Some of us like it up the butt, some of us do not but some of us would like the choice to decline.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #118 on: October 02, 2007, 11:02:46 pm »

aren't goods usually valued at whatever someone will pay for them? I mean, someone else out there is willing to pay the marked-up price...
Absolutely correct. Theyre not gouging anyone. if you feel theyre priced too high then you wont buy them. If youre aware of a better deal somewhere else then go for it, if you aren't able to exploit the better deal  then perhaps they are actually selling it at the real price. It is after all, an auction
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #119 on: October 02, 2007, 11:04:10 pm »

Just because unfettered forms of capitalism exist does not make them right or proper.

The Invisible Hand of Adam Smith is doing us all up the butt.

Some of us like it up the butt, some of us do not but some of us would like the choice to decline.
What the hell are you talking about? Ebay offers a forum for those who value the object the most to get it. I really like Bentley cars, but I don't go around saying that Bentley is gouging me by charging a high price. They are charging what people are willing to pay.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13   Go Up