Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Trains are saying "hello".  All this time, we just snub them.

Poll

Do you wear fragrance? What's your favorite (post below)?

Yes, daily or often
Yes, sometimes or rarely
No
No, it gives me migraines/allergies
No, soap & deodorant are good enough.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby  (Read 27487 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #150 on: January 21, 2008, 11:23:27 pm »

She had a nice body in her youth, sure... but her face was always WEIRD and as her form has become more and more frail-thin and boyish over the years, she lost even her nice body.

Now, I realize, Matthew Broderick probably wants to forget that she is a lady as much as possible but... still. C'mon, still.

She looks like ET with two fried eggs stapled to his chest at this point.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #151 on: January 22, 2008, 12:13:04 am »

She looks like ET with two fried eggs stapled to his chest at this point.

This is why you people are my friends. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #152 on: January 22, 2008, 06:42:04 pm »

Not to play devil's advocate, but I'm really happy basically no one wears perfume where I work.

Also, perfume is forbidden at my wife's new job.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #153 on: January 23, 2008, 04:23:48 am »

Today, the folks in another part of the office were freaking out due to a "strong smell" that would likely bother the women with the scent sensitivity.  It turned out to be oatmeal, some agreed the scent of maple flavoured oat meal, being a food stuff, would probably not bother her, but her assistant was pretty sure it would. I went and got a cup of tea and never found out how that one panned out.  I did want to walk in and say "look, it's been more than half a year.  We are all aware of the issue and are being as sensitive as we can possibly be about this.  Riding each other's asses now makes you the insensitive one now." 

I am basically in the anti-smell camp.  I never want to be alone in an elevator with someone I don't know and and smell her/his perfume/cologne.  I am happy to smell something on someone's skin when my mouth is kissing it, or when I'm hugging them, but that's it.  I'm talking intimate space here, or just slightly beyond in the "brushing-past-you-when-I-walk: space.  Most of the stuff I smell on strangers or people I barely know just annoys me, and I'm willing to venture it's because it's too much of a good (or not so good) thing.  If I don't want to see someone, I can look away, if I don't want to taste or touch someone- that's pretty easy to do, if I don't want to hear someone I can put on my iPod, but I have no choice in whether I have to smell someone or not, so I really long for common courtesy on that one,  which is seriously lacking in many, many people.  There are lots of etiquette skills we seem to learn when we're kids, but the" how much smell you should give off" lesson should be taught right up there with the whole "inside voice" lesson.  I'm sure Linnea smells really nice because she's actually aware of the products she's using and how to use them properly.  On the other hand I am pretty sure a guy yesterday who I had to smell from over 8 ft away was so unschooled.  I'm sure he was wearing an expensive cologne because he was dressed in a well tailored suit and had the look of someone who really cared about status, but the amount of cologne he had on was the scent equivalent to standing 8 ft from me and shouting "HEY SUCK MY COCK!" at the top of his lungs. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #154 on: January 23, 2008, 05:12:09 am »

shouting "HEY SUCK MY COCK!" at the top of his lungs. 

That almost never works.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #155 on: January 23, 2008, 05:17:56 am »

That almost never works.
Dance clubs in the Castro being the obvious exception.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #156 on: January 23, 2008, 05:20:12 am »

Dance clubs in the Castro being the obvious exception.

That's the exception I was thinking of. Well, that and the Rose Festival, when the Navy is in town.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #157 on: January 23, 2008, 05:50:29 am »

Dammit, people! Talk about perfume!

I would never last at a scent-free workplace. That is just too much infringement on my personal life for my liking. Maybe if they bought me all scent-free products, but I think that's just asking too much.  But I do agree that nobody should be able to smell your perfume unless they're having passionate makeouts with you. Most people just wear too goddamned much perfume/cologne/disgusting Victoria's Secret body lotion. It is pretty sickening.
Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #158 on: January 23, 2008, 06:10:51 am »

So, when I wear cologne (which is rarely), I either squirt one shot into the air and walk through it or one squirt on my wrist which I then rub on my other wrist and my carotid arteries, the "pulse points." I am pretty sure that this is tasteful, but everytime I smell myself throughout the day, I keep wondering if it's too much. And it's not like I'm wearing Sex Panther or something.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #159 on: January 23, 2008, 06:44:24 am »

That's the exception I was thinking of. Well, that and the Rose Festival, when the Navy is in town.

Also at the mens locker/shower/steam room in YMCA's across the continent.

I'm sorry L.  It is hard to talk about perfume.  I'm wearing a new herbal deodorant with coriander in it... does that.... does that help?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #160 on: January 23, 2008, 05:15:20 pm »

Also at the mens locker/shower/steam room in YMCA's across the continent.

I'm sorry L.  It is hard to talk about perfume.  I'm wearing a new herbal deodorant with coriander in it... does that.... does that help?

It's hella easier to talk about random blowjobs from Navy men. Well, at least for me it is.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #161 on: January 23, 2008, 06:01:54 pm »

Over Christmas my SIL kept using this horrible coconut lotion from Bath & Bodyworks that made everybody in the room give her dirty looks. After 3 or 4 applications she started apologizing that it bothered us but it never occurred to her to just not use it. Who needs that much lotion, anyway?

Of course she also belches constantly. She refused to muffle it because she says then it goes up into her eyes and feels gross.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #162 on: January 23, 2008, 06:06:06 pm »

this one girl I know uses something really strong in her hair that I love the smell of. She is partially of african descent, so it is maybe some kind of crazy thing like they have in that section of drug stores?
It is like the best smell ever, anyway. The other day in a crowded party I got a whiff of it and was like "oh man, she must be here."

I am not sure if it is that it is that strong of a smell, or I just like it enough that I am attuned to smell it?

On the other hand, basically her whole apartment smells like it sometimes, and maybe that gets old for her roommates.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #163 on: January 23, 2008, 10:30:50 pm »


Of course she also belches constantly. She refused to muffle it because she says then it goes up into her eyes and feels gross.

What the hell is that? Her eyes?
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #164 on: January 23, 2008, 11:20:40 pm »

What the hell is that? Her eyes?


I know. She claims that if she belches with her mouth closed then breathes it out her nose she feels it in her eyes and it grosses her out. So the rest of us get to listen to her belch 4 to 10 times an hour.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Up