Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Is eaten food technically rotting inside you? It's pretty warm in there. Technically, we all not only live in, but *are* "the danger zone."

Poll

Do you wear fragrance? What's your favorite (post below)?

Yes, daily or often
Yes, sometimes or rarely
No
No, it gives me migraines/allergies
No, soap & deodorant are good enough.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby  (Read 27393 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2006, 03:37:56 am »

And are the gentlemen expected to trim Mr Happy's area as well? And wait a minute, weren't we talking about perfume? Damn Internet, only one thing on its mind.

Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2006, 05:19:27 am »

Well, basically my statement was semi-theoretical.  People do a lot of dumb, wasteful things.  I think a shower is alot different than those, just because you feel like shit if you aren't clean.  I probably shower three to four times a week.  I haven't worn cologne since i was like 13-14, and only wear deodarant if I have a hot date or a particularly long day.  I shave because I cannot grow a full beard, so it is a little different (not really, but kind of), and I haven't had a hair cut since saint patricks day.  I am sure my next hair cut will be much like my last 5 or 6, wait until it gets really long and shave it myself.

Basically, read Jusy or LFM first post for a better, less rash version of what I meant.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2006, 05:49:56 am »

Well, basically my statement was semi-theoretical.  People do a lot of dumb, wasteful things.  I think a shower is alot different than those, just because you feel like shit if you aren't clean.  I probably shower three to four times a week.  I haven't worn cologne since i was like 13-14, and only wear deodarant if I have a hot date or a particularly long day.  I shave because I cannot grow a full beard, so it is a little different (not really, but kind of), and I haven't had a hair cut since saint patricks day.  I am sure my next hair cut will be much like my last 5 or 6, wait until it gets really long and shave it myself.

Basically, read Jusy or LFM first post for a better, less rash version of what I meant.

Whoa. I have a really bizarre mental image of you based on these posts in this thread.





Wombat: I hear that young gentlemen are also into trimming or shaving. There's a cultural shift going on. Ever since the Brazillian wax craze, some women have been going Sphynx-bald. And as the standards for women have changed, the concept of male beauty has changed too. As Dan Savage says, out goes the virile manly-man such as Burt Reynolds, and in comes the new hairless male beauty a' la Ashton Kutcher.

Dan Savage's "Savage Love" column, Nov 6 - Nov 12, 2003
Quote from: Dan Savage
I need help understanding a recently observed trend. As a physician, I see lots of naked bodies. For several years I've noticed that, generally speaking, many straight patients (men and women) in their 20s have trimmed and/or coiffed pubic hair. A lot of the men tell me that their girlfriends prefer it that way; some have said, "It makes me feel cooler and cleaner." Occasionally I have to treat folliculitis (an infection/inflammation at the base of the hair follicles) caused by overaggressive shaving. Recently I have noticed many of my 14- to 16-year-old male patients have completely trimmed off their pubic hair. What gives? When I was that age, I anxiously awaited a full set.

Pursuing Understanding by Inquiring Columnist


Women have long felt it necessary to shave their legs, pits, forearms, wrists, backs, shins, and ankles, PUBIC. Then about 10 years ago stylish women began having their pubic hairs ripped out at the roots. Surely you've heard of the Brazilian bikini wax, Doc? The pubeless look was popularized, in my opinion, by several cultural trends: the mainstreaming of pornography; teeny-tiny bathing suits; and awful, unflattering low-rise jeans. Naturally bushy women went from trimming to li'l Hitler mustaches to complete deforestation in under a decade.

At the same time deforestation was becoming the beauty ideal for women, PUBIC, male homosexuals were taking over American cultural life. That our culture is now thoroughly dominated by gay men is not some paranoid Christian conservative's fantasy, PUBIC, but a fact of life. Queer Eye for the Straight Guy confirmed something everyone already knows: Outside of rap and hiphop culture, stylish gay men--not all gay men, mind you, just the stylish ones--are the only tastemakers. And gay men weren't content to just setting tastes in jackets and hair products and cowhide accent chairs. Hardly. We were, however subtly, setting sexual tastes as well. Out went the virile man (So long, Burt Reynolds!) and in came the vulnerable boy (Hello, Ashton Kutcher!). Soon the kind of guys most gay men want to fuck became the kind of guys most straight women want to fuck, the male beauty ideal every bit as hairless as its female counterpart.

The funny thing about declaring smooth, hairless skin sexy, PUBIC, is that once you start stigmatizing some body hair--back hair, chest hair, ass hair--it's only a matter of time before all body hair is deemed unattractive. Women started having their pubes yanked out because body hair on women had long been seen as unattractive and unfeminine; once they were required to wear outfits that basically exposed everything but their vulvas, off came the pubic hair. Men began shaving off their chest hair in response to a gay-dictated male beauty ideal and gradually bought into the idea that body hair--including pubic hair--was just as unattractive on males as it was on females. And you're seeing the results of this cultural shift every time one of your 16-year-old male patients drops his drawers.

For the record, I'm not endorsing any of this. While I'm a longtime supporter of the reigning beauty ideal--I like 'em lean and hairless, always have, so I've got no complaints about the current beauty ideals, thank you very much--I know there are people out there who feel differently. Indeed, a pro-hair backlash is already under way.

I am a 15-year-old male with a question--what is proper etiquette regarding pubic hairs? I will soon be having my first sexual experience and was just wondering whether or not the majority of women prefer the area hairless or not.

Condoms and Manners


The proper etiquette regarding pubes, CAM, can be summed up in three words: Keep it clean. (...) Take a shower, CAM.

Now some women will, without a doubt, prefer you to trim or arrive hairless; some, however, will prefer that you arrive with all the hair God saw fit to grow down there. If you're indifferent on the pubic-hair issue, if your partner's wishes are more important than your own, I would urge you to make the young woman in your life an offer: Tell her that how much or how little pubic hair you have is entirely up to her. If she likes it trimmed, she can trim it. If she would prefer you hairless, she can shave your pubes off herself.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 05:53:59 am by linnea »
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2006, 06:04:55 am »

Well, ideally (as far as I know) it should be applied not to the effect of "this human does not smell human" but rather "this human smells like a human who has been exposed to/is carrying pleasant-smelling things".

Like the intestinal tract of a sperm whale.

Ahhh, ambergris. That stuff is worth more than its weight in gold, you know. I keep hoping that I'll find a huge chunk of it while I'm out beachcombing and make enough money from selling it to take a very nice vacation, preferably someplace warm. Please, sperm whales, vomit some ambergris and float it over to me. I want to visit Paris.

I was reading about another fascinating fragrance, Arabian Oud, which is the most expensive wood in the world and is formed as a result of the tree's immune response to fungal infection. Supposedly, oud/agarwood smells like ambergris, jasmine, earth and wood notes.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2006, 06:08:11 am »

man. Part of the reason I am afraid to express any preference for degree of Deforestation is that I am worried I will be told to Depilate myself. And that is just not happening, sorry ladies. I am not a manly man to begin with, and I am not exacerbating this by removing any hair. from that area, at least.

although right now, what I'm really worried about is going bald. and gaining hair in unfortunate places. I noticed while home for thanksgiving that one of my friends has a severely receding hairline already, and now I'm scared.

which brings us back to a thread we had months ago.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2006, 01:43:47 pm »

I think my final word on this topic is, I like mammals.  I think we should appreciate what separates us from the rest of the animal kingdom instead of plucking it all out.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2006, 09:44:36 pm »

The direction this thread took kinda reminds me:

Just once I'd like to take a break from my daily breaking-my-ass labour and blow a little discretionary ca$h on something I acknowledge as a luxuery such as smelling good or maybe a fancy ass meal of somethings unborn young without being reminded what a wrong minded earth killing I-have-no-right-because-of-other-poorer-parts-of-the-world schmuck-tard I am.

I mean shit.
Logged
We must repeat!

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2006, 10:29:21 pm »

I think we should appreciate what separates us from the rest of the animal kingdom instead of plucking it all out.

Agreed. Ripped-out opposable thumbs = not sexy.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2006, 11:45:58 pm »

The direction this thread took kinda reminds me:

Just once I'd like to take a break from my daily breaking-my-ass labour and blow a little discretionary ca$h on something I acknowledge as a luxuery such as smelling good or maybe a fancy ass meal of somethings unborn young without being reminded what a wrong minded earth killing I-have-no-right-because-of-other-poorer-parts-of-the-world schmuck-tard I am.

I mean shit.

Heh! That was classic. A can for you, good sir.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2006, 02:51:40 am »

Alls I'm saying is that if there are REALLY people out there who shape their pubic hairs for the purposes of irony?

Then I am hitting a tiny switch on the wall. This switch is totally to all the lights in Western Civilization. I'm turning the lights out, we're done.

Barbarians at the gates, start your engines, we have ironic pubics, we've given up completely.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2006, 02:56:07 am »

I'm with you, LFM. I'll bring the candles and the deodorant.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2006, 03:37:20 pm »

Oh sweet baby Jesus...
I just tried more samples from Serge Lutens. I'm in love with Borneo 1834, another non-export fragrance. If anyone lives in the EU or England, could I buy a bottle, send it to you from Paris, and then pay you to ship it to the US?
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2006, 11:06:22 pm »

Okay, I found someone in Paris (a Canadian expatriate) who will send me the goods. Now I've just gotta figure out which of the "Exclusive" line I will get. I also have to be willing to put in an 8-10 week wait because EVERYTHING takes effing forever to be shipped to me from the EU. Bastards.

I've also fallen in love with L'Artisan Parfumeur's Timbuktu. It was released in 1993 and it was developed by acclaimed "nose" Bertrand Duchaufour. It's heavenly. I'm getting a bottle ASAP. I got a sample of it at Barney's and received lots of compliments when I wore it.

   Top Notes
    * Mango, Berries, Pink Pepper, Cardamom
    Middle Notes
    * Karo Karounde Flower, Papyrus Wood, Frankincense
    Base Notes
    * Myrrh, Vetiver, Patchouli, Benzoin

Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2006, 01:51:10 am »

Did you hear about the new scent made based on the notes of Marie Antoinette's perfumer? The notes were found a few years back, and they've spent the last while making it marketable. The name's in french, and translates roughly to The Aroma/Trail of the Queen.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2006, 04:44:32 pm »

I saw a fragrance named "Pi" the other day - but not the word, the symbol.  It cost $34.95, but I thought it should have been only $31.41.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Up