Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

TOUAMB: Debating the decline and fall of Chris Onstad since 2003.

Poll

Do you wear fragrance? What's your favorite (post below)?

Yes, daily or often
Yes, sometimes or rarely
No
No, it gives me migraines/allergies
No, soap & deodorant are good enough.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby  (Read 27361 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2007, 02:42:03 am »

The answers to that are complicated and illegal.  (Actually it was my trashy homo friend, probably attempting to mask the odor of man on man sex action.)

I don't know - if someone stinks of B.O. or pee or something, it doesn't give me an angry headache like a nose-rape-fog of perfume does.  I was on the bus, and as usual, there were the unpleasant odors - mostly focused around an old, dishevelled man who had most definitely shit himself... that's not easy either... but there's something so inconsiderate about the over application of perfume because it's so intentional. 

I do have to agree with inev.  a faint perfume up close is very nice. I am not anti-perfume, just anti-over-perfuming.   

Also on a sort of related note:  to linnea and everybody interested in scent,it's power, etc. - I suggest the book Perfume.  I'm curious about the film version which came out in limited release in Dec 2006 and was directed by the director of Run Lola Run. 


Jesus H. Christ, smells, you're basking in the Tiny Cans of Dr. Pepper GLORY. I almost pee'd myself laughing.

And yes...I'm DYING to see Perfume. I can't wait until it comes out on DVD. A famous French haute-couture designer named Thierry Mugler (who made one of my favorite perfumes, Angel, as a groundbreaking never-before-seen gourmand blockbuster back in 1992 -- he also apparently does costume design for Cirque de Soleil)...made a heavenly $700 perfume coffret based upon the film. Fourteen perfumes in all.
Logged

Muse_Of_Fire

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 27
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 210
  • Purveyor of Tomcoolery
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2007, 03:21:55 am »

Again, me with the skipping of most of the threads in between.

If you get a chance, I suggest visiting the French city of Eze, pretty much the perfume center of the world. They have tours and yaddah yaddah. I believe most perfumes are made outside of Eze now, but that was pretty much where it all got started, at least for the West. Plus, it's on the Mediterranean, and is tout a fait charmante. Can't beat that.

Oh, and to answer your original question, my perfume of choice is Roberto Cavalli's Oro. I'm discovering it's getting harder and harder to find, a fact which vexes me greatly.
Logged
I'm afraid of ending up like Dugger.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2007, 11:58:33 pm »

Oh maaaan... I got a tiny sample of Annick Goutal's Songes in an order of decants from eBay.

I have always hated white florals...but this one is pure lusciousness. I ordered 10mL and now I'm really considering buying a bottle of the EDP. It's amazing. It has notes of frangipani, ylang-ylang, jasmine, and vanilla. Most white florals smell terrible on me, but this one is just delicious and sexy. It was just released in 2006.

The only other white floral I own is Serge Lutens' A La Nuit which is like standing on a balcony on a hot summer night and being enveloped by the rich aroma of night blooming jasmine.

I never thought I'd like such a girly-girl perfume, but I adore it!
Logged

Muse_Of_Fire

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 27
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 210
  • Purveyor of Tomcoolery
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2007, 03:14:21 am »

Linnea, you should add a choice to your survey: "I would love to wear it every day, but can't afford it." That's my choice. I'm a "wear perfume daily" person, but I'm the sole income in our household, and I'm a public school teacher and ballet dancer for a small company. Not your most lucrative careers. ;) And since I would rather wear no perfume than cheapass Walgreen's perfume, I wear none, saving my expensive and precious (and now increasingly rare--hmph--Roberto Cavalli's "Oro") for special occasions. Someday I hope to wear it daily, since that is my personality to do so.
Logged
I'm afraid of ending up like Dugger.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2007, 02:38:28 am »

You can always buy decants on eBay. You'd be surprised how long a 5mL bottle will last.

I just put on Montale's Black Aoud from a sample that I received today. I liked it at first but goddamn is it strong! Agarwood/aoud/oud has a strong almost medicinal smell, which I like. It's formed from a special type of tree's immune system response when the tree is attacked by some sort of parasite or fungus. Montale added rose attar and other scents to this aoud. The rose is killing me because it's too strong. I guess that he put it in there so its sweetness and floral-ness will temper the aoud and soften it, but I'd rather have the aoud without the rose. Or maybe a different flower instead of rose. I will have to experiment with aoud.

I guess it's a good thing that I don't really like it, because it's expensive.
Logged

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2007, 10:13:30 pm »

Linnea:

Have you ever tried any of the stuff from bpal?  People seem to be pretty crazy about them.   My ladyfriend likes "Zombi" "Wrath" and "Dirt".

(For our 7th anniversary in a couple weeks, I picked her up a few samples of some other stuff, and a locket.   The locket ended up coming with a bunch of samples.   In an attempt to see what they smelled like, I got "Wilde" all over my hand.  I have a feeling that either the cat may be out of the bag, or she may start suspecting that I've started a tryst with a Dead, Irish, homosexual playwrite.)
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #81 on: July 03, 2007, 12:51:18 am »

Linnea:

Have you ever tried any of the stuff from bpal?  People seem to be pretty crazy about them.   My ladyfriend likes "Zombi" "Wrath" and "Dirt".

(For our 7th anniversary in a couple weeks, I picked her up a few samples of some other stuff, and a locket.   The locket ended up coming with a bunch of samples.   In an attempt to see what they smelled like, I got "Wilde" all over my hand.  I have a feeling that either the cat may be out of the bag, or she may start suspecting that I've started a tryst with a Dead, Irish, homosexual playwrite.)

Oooohhh.... the descriptions from BPAL sound awesome. I will have to check them out. Hopefully I'll get a job soon - I had a really great interview today. I did not wear any perfume to the interview, it's just too dicey. I wear really small amounts and I spray it underneath my shirt so that I'm not a walking fumigator, but it's still prudent to avoid. You never know who will interview you, and they might be allergic to perfume.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #82 on: July 03, 2007, 04:28:07 am »

Whatever happened to Muse?


Also, good luck on the job front, Linnea.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #83 on: July 03, 2007, 02:11:13 pm »

Whatever happened to Muse?


One of us retired that sock-puppet, but I can't remember which one it was.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #84 on: July 03, 2007, 04:37:06 pm »

One of us retired that sock-puppet, but I can't remember which one it was.

Whoa!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #85 on: July 03, 2007, 05:26:33 pm »

One of us retired that sock-puppet, but I can't remember which one it was.
Whoa!

I...I feel so used. She seemed so real!
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2007, 06:37:49 pm »

...I was under the assumption she was a real person as well.

Am I dumb or do I just not pay close enough attention?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #87 on: July 03, 2007, 06:45:05 pm »

yeah. I was pretty sure she was For Real.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #88 on: July 03, 2007, 07:11:21 pm »

Oh I'm sure she was real. Nabu's just having you on.
Logged
We must repeat!

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #89 on: July 03, 2007, 08:04:30 pm »

Hey! Cut that out!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13   Go Up