Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

“Do what you love and the money will follow,” as they say, but I would add, “...but don’t do ONLY what you love until it generates adequate cash flow.” -=RAY=-

Poll

Do you wear fragrance? What's your favorite (post below)?

Yes, daily or often
Yes, sometimes or rarely
No
No, it gives me migraines/allergies
No, soap & deodorant are good enough.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby  (Read 27408 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #90 on: July 03, 2007, 08:23:31 pm »

Unless Nabu and Muse are really the same person...

Just think, do you ever see the two of them together?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #91 on: July 03, 2007, 08:26:22 pm »

...I was under the assumption she was a real person as well.

Am I dumb or do I just not pay close enough attention?
yeah. I was pretty sure she was For Real.

Keith, these two are in your stash again.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #92 on: July 03, 2007, 08:47:54 pm »

At this rate, it's going to turn out that the entire board is just two people having endless sockpuppet conversations with each other.

I'm probably not one of the real posters, either. Bother.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #93 on: July 03, 2007, 09:55:30 pm »

At this rate, it's going to turn out that the entire board is just two people having endless sockpuppet conversations with each other.

I'm probably not one of the real posters, either. Bother.

There might just be one of us - which reminds me, we probably ought to get back to work.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 11:31:12 pm by Nabubrush drinks (a lot) »
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #94 on: July 03, 2007, 10:35:08 pm »

There are only two people posting on this board.

Chris Onstad and Chris Onstad.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #95 on: July 03, 2007, 11:15:24 pm »

There are only two people posting on this board.

Chris Onstad and Chris Onstad.

Well, how else do you suppose he practices such rich characterization for his comic and blogs?
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #96 on: July 03, 2007, 11:50:18 pm »

Quote from: linnea
Well, how else do you suppose he practices such rich characterization for his comic and blogs?

Don't you mean YOUR comic and blogs...

I mean, don't you mean MY comic and...

OUR comic...

Crap. My brain broke.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #97 on: August 13, 2007, 04:01:56 am »

So I had to sell almost my entire collection after my employer fucked me out of $1,900 that they initially promised to me in moving costs. However, I got damn close to retail since I sold the bottles to friends of mine on fragrance forums. I only had a couple embarrassing offers from assholish vultures who saw my post that I was hard-up. One fucktard deigned to offer me $35 for a 99% full bottle of Creed that cost me ninety-eight bucks. Fuck you, asshole. Obviously the perfume went to someone more deserving and less rapacious.


ANYWAY... we all know that Serge Lutens is crack in a bottle and my favorite parfumeur. You guys might probably know that I have a weakness for jasmine since my two favorite perfumes are Annick Goutal's Songes and Lutens' A La Nuit, and tangentially that I adore all things purple (as evidenced by my love of Prince*)

Feast your eyes on this (scroll down past the gaudy header to see the perfume bottles). €850 for the fancy bottle, which is a limited edition of thirty. That's $1,162 for a fuck*ng bottle of perfume! Also Monsieur Lutens has a non-export line of parfum that he only allows to be sold at his salon in Paris, and of course...Sarrasins is part of the non-export line. Oh, to be wealthy and to have a pied a terre in Paris...


*Prince also just released a fragrance, I'm kind of scared to try it because I desperately want to love it. Somehow I'm not convinced that it will be as good as I hope it will be.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 04:14:57 am by linnea »
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #98 on: August 13, 2007, 04:24:32 am »

Creed?  Please tell me it doesn't smell like the flop sweat of Christian Rockers...
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #99 on: August 13, 2007, 04:37:48 am »

It's squeezin's from Scott Stapp, harvested on the evening the Kid Rock video was made. Enjoy!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2007, 04:38:55 am »

(First time reading through this thread) Do you have a minute to give us a run down on the basics of appreciating fragrance? I personally have become a Givenchy man, specifically π (pi). I find that using a consistent scent helps people remember me. http://www.parfumsgivenchy.com/
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #101 on: August 13, 2007, 07:24:00 am »

Heavens, no! Creed is an esteemed perfume house that dates back to the late 1700s in England. They are truly masters of their craft. Nothing to do with the squeezin's you mention.

(First time reading through this thread) Do you have a minute to give us a run down on the basics of appreciating fragrance? I personally have become a Givenchy man, specifically π (pi). I find that using a consistent scent helps people remember me. http://www.parfumsgivenchy.com/

Ahh, excellent choice. It is indeed wonderful to have a signature scent. My rule is to first and foremost to wear what you like. I read a lot of posts about people who buy expensive niche perfume and then spend all this time trying to force themselves to appreciate it. What the hell is the point of that? So they can brag that they're wearing the most expensive couture perfume? Bah. Likewise, there are people who disparage certain brands as inferior, when other folks really enjoy the scent.

As a nerd, I enjoy breaking things down and seeing how they tick. I think that perfume as a hobby is similar to being a connoisseur of wine or Scotch. You learn how it's made, you learn about the raw ingredients or varietals that are involved, and then you learn about all the different notes.

Take a trip to the department store. Don't necessarily listen to what the sales associates tell you, for the most part they just know what the company reps tell them. If they're good, you can tell them about a certain scent you enjoy and they can recommend others for you to try. Givenchy has made other variations on the Pi theme, such as Pi Fraiche. There are multiple fragrance families, for men the usual breakdowns are marine/aquatic/fresh, aromatic/woodsy, and spicy/oriental.

Some others that I think you might enjoy, all of them you should be able to find at a regular department store except the Creed:

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent, this was a perfume that was designed by the same nez (nose or master perfumer) who created Pi, his name is Alberto Morillas. This is a cross between aromatic/woodsy and oriental, and it's incredibly sexy. There is a famous ingredient called oud/oudh/aoud, also known as agarwood. It is hugely popular in Arabian perfumery. M7 has oud but it is tempered with other notes.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed, this is an iconic aquatic that spawned a million knockoffs, most notably Cool Water by Davidoff. I personally hate Cool Water...and GIT is easily twice the price...but it's fun to compare the two. Creed perfumes are made with natural ingredients as opposed to synthetics. Cool Water and many of the other aquatics contain the repulsive Calone 1951 synthetic compound, which is used to give a "marine" smell. It burns my nose and I hate it, but many people like it. Acqua di Gio also contains massive amounts of Calone. Yuck.

Bulgari Black (also spelled Bvlgari), this one is smoky and unique. It might be classified as an oriental? I'm not sure.

Vetiver by Gurelain. (aromatic/woodsy, vetiver is a tree-like shrub) I adore vetiver and this is a classic, yet still smells "modern" and fresh.

There are tons more, but give those a try. Sniff them from the bottle or on a tester strip, do not let an overzealous sales associate spray you with anything - only apply a perfume/cologne to your skin if you've narrowed down your choices to two (one per wrist). There are so many wonderful colognes out there, and I LOVE it when men wear judicious amounts of cologne. I still get a little weak in the knees when I smell certain colognes like Aspen, Polo, or Safari because various former crushes of mine wore them.
Logged

Golfhaus

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 116
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1625
  • He does not approve. Not at all.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.prolefeed.com
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #102 on: August 13, 2007, 11:57:29 pm »

I like that new commercial for the Sarah Jessica Parker perfume. It makes me laugh and laugh.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2007, 12:17:09 am »

Damn, that sucker is just begging to be satirized.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Fragrance, my latest geeky hobby
« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2007, 02:53:57 am »

I like that new commercial for the Sarah Jessica Parker perfume. It makes me laugh and laugh.

OMG. I cannot believe that she thought in a million years that was a good idea. Talk about ridiculous.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Up