Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Surprising fact: toothpaste is a complete protein.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What do you know about Indiana?  (Read 4587 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
What do you know about Indiana?
« on: December 05, 2006, 01:10:34 am »

I heard today that I may have a job offering with a branch of Pfizer in Indiana.  I don't have any details yet, all I know is that someone told someone who told my father while he was working, so I dunno what's the real deal yet.

So does anyone know anything about that state?  Taking this possible job will mean having to move and transfer schools, but they will pay the tuition for my final two years of school.  I don't know how universal an Indiana pharmacy license is, but I know that a NY license is valid in every state except California and I doubt an Indy license carries as much weight.  Ballpark guess would be that it's only good in about 35 states.  If I finish my school where I am now, I'm going to have to take out loans for the last two years.  Of course, I am dying to get out of my parent's house, so that is also a factor.

So I dunno, I don't feel strongly compelled to accept this, but I am considering it.  If you know anything about Indiana that's good or bad, please let me know.  All I know about it is what I've forgotten from Where in the US is Carmen Sandiago?.
Logged
ACHIEVE

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: What do you know about Indiana?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 03:12:30 am »

Axl Rose grew up there.

I think, either way, that should say all that needs to be said.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What do you know about Indiana?
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 04:06:58 am »

Our culture is so homogenous that Indiana is going to be very much like any place else in the US, if not the developed world.

Also, they think that Bobby Knight is a hell of a guy.  I've always found this highly inexplicable.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: What do you know about Indiana?
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 04:10:48 am »

Our culture is so homogenous that Indiana is going to be very much like any place else in the US, if not the developed world.

Also, they think that Bobby Knight is a hell of a guy.  I've always found this highly inexplicable.

Why have none of the players kicked him square in the balls? I'm being totally serious. I can't fathom how not one player has physically assaulted him. If I could play basketball I'd try out for that team just for the opportunity to hit him with a folding chair.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: What do you know about Indiana?
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 05:01:11 am »

I have never been to Indiana. However, as someone who has huge student loan payments on a $34,000 debt, I would say "Go west, young man!"
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: What do you know about Indiana?
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 05:06:10 am »

I technically spent a semester in Indiana but it was right on the Ohio border at a quasi-hippie school. Mostly I recall it being very flat. I once asked why there were no hills and was told that there were and that I was in fact standing on one. Either I was being fucked with or these people have no concept of terrain.

Seriously, it is like a game of Civilization on an Old planet. Grain everywhere and no damn hills or mountains.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What do you know about Indiana?
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 05:09:12 am »

I think there are a couple of factors.  First and simplest, Bobby Knight is a big guy.  His IMDB bio lists him as 6'5".  So it's not like Wally Cox is pulling this crap on people.  On the other hand, the people he's abusing are large atheletes as well so...

The other factor is that the kids he's abusing idolize him and very much want to be a part of his program.  Hell, the kid he smacked upside the other day damn near thanked him for the pimp slap.  His parents bent over backwards to support Knight in the national media.  Not that I think this latest incident is that bad (hardly worthy of notice, really) but the family's reaction does indicate the sort of esteem The General is held in among certain groups.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What do you know about Indiana?
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 05:10:07 am »


Seriously, it is like a game of Civilization on an Old planet. Grain everywhere and no damn hills or mountains.

Hell of can for the Civ reference.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: What do you know about Indiana?
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 02:15:09 pm »

Vincennes, Indiana is extremely boring.  The job's not there, is it?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: What do you know about Indiana?
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 02:28:03 pm »

Indianapolis is a fine second-tier American city with several options for fun and amusement (just don't use them up too quickly).  Bloomington is a fun town if you like hanging out with college kids in bars.  Stay out of Gary - in fact, just turn around the second you start to smell it.  Evansville is a small town with a heart of gold and a small-time minor league baseball team which plays in an ancient stadium.  South Bend is Notre Dame and not much else.  Larry Bird is from a place called French Lick, but it's nowhere near as exciting as it sounds.

For being a Northern state, I've met a remarkable number of racist xenophobes in Indiana.

They used to have issues with Daylight Saving(s) Time.  I am not sure if this is resolved yet.

The landscape is indeed flat and grain-oriented.  Ohio is the state immediately east of Indiana.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: What do you know about Indiana?
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 03:23:16 pm »


For being a Northern state, I've met a remarkable number of racist xenophobes in Indiana.



Because racism only exists in the South?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: What do you know about Indiana?
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 03:52:29 pm »

Stay out of Gary - in fact, just turn around the second you start to smell it.

Thanks for the earworm. Gary Indiana, Gary, Indiana, Gary, Indiana

DAMMIT
Logged

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: What do you know about Indiana?
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2006, 04:22:46 pm »

It depends on which school and where it's at. The Ninja dude above basically gave a good short rundown. One of the mini-metropli would be pretty fine OK living. The Culver Academy (Culver, IN, natch), on the other hand, basically offered an A&W and beef cows for Saturday night entertainment.
Logged
We must repeat!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: What do you know about Indiana?
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2006, 05:55:19 pm »

Thanks for the earworm. Gary Indiana, Gary, Indiana, Gary, Indiana

DAMMIT

CortJstr, believe it when I say from the core of my heart: fuck youuuuuu!

Oh Jesus it's never going to leave.

Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: What do you know about Indiana?
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2006, 06:11:52 pm »

CortJstr, believe it when I say from the core of my heart: fuck youuuuuu!

Oh Jesus it's never going to leave.

I can never hear the name of that town and not sing the song in my head. I'm still pissed at Family Guy for doing Shipoopi on Sunday.




With a capital T and that rhymes with P ... damn you high school musicals!
Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up