Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Blogs: December 2006  (Read 10737 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Blogs: December 2006
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2006, 02:12:27 pm »

I would've gone with "kinky synergy" but maybe Ray doesn't know that word.

And Pat needs a grammar lesson. "System Of A Down" indeed. Tsk tsk.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Blogs: December 2006
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2006, 07:23:49 pm »

I would've gone with "kinky synergy" but maybe Ray doesn't know that word.

I think "kinky synthesis" is funnier, though. It sounds like a procedure from one of those sci-fi porno films from the '70's -- you know, like Space Thing? Something they have to do when they can't find enough cumlithium crystals to get the warp drive (er... "sex warp drive") going again.
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Blogs: December 2006
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2006, 08:26:56 pm »

I still have a little "thingie" of Jagermeister I got for my birthday last year. It's about half full, the first sip having been taken when I first got it. Never did finish it. That stuff is the Gateway to Terrible Things.

Also, what the heck is a Napoleon's?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Blogs: December 2006
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2006, 08:44:49 pm »

I want a subscription to the Hollandaise of the Month Club.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Blogs: December 2006
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2006, 09:08:54 pm »

I want a subscription to the Hollandaise of the Month Club.

This sounded tasted before it occurred to me that either I'd be receiving an uncooked egg product through the mail or that I'd be doing some of the cooking myself. I doubt either option would lead to deliciousness.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Blogs: December 2006
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2006, 10:16:46 pm »

How do you know they don't have a chef come to your house? Ray would settle for nothing less.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Blogs: December 2006
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2006, 02:37:08 pm »

http://chrisonstad.blogspot.com/2006/12/happy-new-year-2007.html

I've always pictured it as pulling the offending driver out through the window, then pummelling him, rather than flipping over the car.  But I know of what he speaks.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Blogs: December 2006
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2006, 02:49:13 pm »

The majority of pedestrian accidents are not because of driver error. Just sayin'
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Blogs: December 2006
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2006, 03:39:25 pm »

The majority of pedestrian accidents are not because of driver error. Just sayin'

'EY! EYYYYY! I'm walkin' 'ere!
Logged

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Blogs: December 2006
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2006, 03:50:06 pm »

I saw a fight - a literal fistfight - last weekend because a driver turned left through a crosswalk while a couple was walking through said crosswalk.  The driver did have a green light but the pedestrians had a clear, solid "Walk" signal.  Advantage: Pedestrians.

This happened late at night in an area with more bars than good sense.  The walking dude, who I'll call Irish Thug because that's what he looked like, dodged the car but stood in front of it when the driver stopped.  Irish Thug helpfully pointed at the crosswalk light, still in his favor, and loudly explained that he and his girlfriend had the right-of-way.  I don't know what the driver said, but he apparently wanted to finish his thought enough to warrant putting the car into reverse and backing toward the pedestrian couple as they continued to the opposite corner of the curb.

Irish Thug took that as a show of hostility and the frat-guy posturing began.  (Mind you, the traffic lights have turned by now and this little argument is blocking progress through the intersection in any direction.)  Irish Thug started his gangsta handwaving, Driver opened his car door, Thug approached the car, Driver started to get out, Thug got a little running start and KICKED THE DRIVER'S DOOR CLOSED.  Then the driver put his car into park and got out, revealing that he's probably six inches shorter and 40 pounds lighter than the Thug, who is all too delighted to take advantage of the mismatch.  He starts swinging at the driver and they both tumble to the street.  Pedestrian Girlfriend is shreiking at Irish Thug to STOP STOP STOP!! and passers-by are all just kind of gawking because it's still one of those weak flailing fights rather than a full-on brawl with fists to the face.  A few phones are poised to dial 911 (do you call 911 for a fight like that, or do you wait until someone is bloody or knocked out?).

Dudes are rolling around on the street, girlfriend is wailing at the wanton display of ultraviolence, a parked car blocks the intersection.  Finally, some guy runs up out of nowhere and separates the fighters.  Irish Thug walks away as I applaud silently.  Driver gets back into his car and drives away knowing that a few people watched him get beat down for being an inconsiderate jerkoff who couldn't just apologize for his mistake and move on.

So yeah, right-of-way goes to the pedestrian in the crosswalk, even if you have a green light.
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Blogs: December 2006
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2006, 07:15:25 pm »

That story just made my morning!

innes

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 42
  • thanks awfully
    • View Profile
Re: Blogs: December 2006
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2007, 04:50:48 pm »

So yeah, right-of-way goes to the pedestrian in the crosswalk, even if you have a green light.

So the car had a green light and the pedestrian also had a green light (or whatever colour 'WALK' is)?
Oh lordy, America is a country with all the safety features switched off!


Plus they were both probably carrying concealed automatic weapons...
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Blogs: December 2006
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2007, 12:42:54 am »

This happens when someone is walking and a driver is turning.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 01:34:26 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Alternate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 141
  • the dinosaurs died for your sins
    • View Profile
Re: Blogs: December 2006
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2007, 01:24:49 am »

I have a story that begins the same way as turbo ninja's -- driver turning left through a crosswalk, both driver (some dude) and pedestrian (me) having green/walk lights.  When I saw the car coming I shrieked and jumped back melodramatically, and immediately felt silly.  "Oh man," I thought, "anyone who saw that must think I'm completely high strung and paranoid.  Obviously the car would have stopped."  And then it hit the woman who'd been walking right next to me. 
Logged
Science fun fact:  Did you know that sharks are the awesomest of all animals?

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Blogs: December 2006
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2007, 05:32:38 am »

I have a story that begins the same way as turbo ninja's -- driver turning left through a crosswalk, both driver (some dude) and pedestrian (me) having green/walk lights.  When I saw the car coming I shrieked and jumped back melodramatically, and immediately felt silly.  "Oh man," I thought, "anyone who saw that must think I'm completely high strung and paranoid.  Obviously the car would have stopped."  And then it hit the woman who'd been walking right next to me. 

You're right, pedestrians DO have the right-of-way. But it's too goddamned dangerous to assume so. You don't wanna sacrifice your body to prove a point. I always assume that they don't see me when I'm a ped. I almost got hit plenty of times when I was attending graduate school.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up