Here is the reaction that my 15-year-old self had to the Harry-Cho story from inside me:
"Girls... make fan-fiction? This blows all my perceptions of everything. Are you sure she is a girl? Have you consulted her doctors to make sure? Surgery can do amazing things these days, simply checking is not enough. Get some blood, there has to be Y-chromosomes in there. Science allows us to check now."
My fifteen year old self did not... and from inside me, does not... accept that women could be warped in that kind of way. Intellectually, as technically an adult, I understand that there are genetic female who do that sort of thing. But... man.
Early-Teens Mike will just not accept it.
Only boys could be twisted and lonely like that. I think this is why I didn't date much until the end of high school, I thought there was something particularly male about being that turned up inside of yourself. I totally didn't get that it was a human condition, that all kinds of people could feel like that.
I mean, I dunno. I probably could've identified with the girls I had affections for if I understood that they could possibly been in the bad weird place that... I thought was the provence of boys, generally, and myself specifically.
I mean, I didn't do fan-fiction but I had reams of embarrassing semi-autobiographical plays and short stories that I didn't share with anyone. I thought that I was a rare kind of broken, improbable amoungst men, impossible amoungst women. I guess because even the weirdest or least attractive girls were persued romantically occasionally.
I thought that somehow that was the tonic against the kind of teenage loneliness I was feeling.
I guess that realizing that everyone is broken inside is when you start becoming an adult and... really full accepting that everyone is broken inside, really integrating that into your life and dealing with the high and the mighty and the low and the crazy are all broken, deserving of pity and undeserving of being feared... that's when you actually ARE an adult.
If I'm still debating these things, maybe I'm not yet, I dunno.
Anyway: wow.
On some deep level, I had to triplecheck that post, to make sure that you said a "her" made fan-fiction about Harry Potter. Some little part of me, my old teenage self, could not accept that as a part of reality at first blush.
I dunno what this says about me. I dunno what that says about the world.