Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What we need more of is science.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!  (Read 11195 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2006, 08:49:52 am »

yeah, I'll get back to you on that when I'm 21, or get a friend who is 21.

until then, my options are limited to what I can get at parties. Which is, you know, shit.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2006, 08:56:24 am »

Here's a tip: if the beer has the word "Ice" at the end and comes in a can larger than a 2 month old baby, you've got a winner.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2006, 10:32:29 am »

No, because it is good.  Get a Chimay or a Bass Pub Pour can or a Hoegaarden and tell me it is shitty.

Hoegaarden tastes like a spoon was melted into the pint.  Some pocket change got dissolved into the stills or something.



Besides for the price, Duvel has the taste that will make me forget the word molecule.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 10:37:30 am by robot_god »
Logged
ACHIEVE

Teldin

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 7
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 15
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2006, 02:49:43 pm »

If you want real beer, I would go with my favorite, of course:

http://www.unibroue.com/products/maudite.cfm

It will kick you in the ass and leave you wanting more. The taste is somewhere like belgian-style spicey malt and is possibly the greatest thing to be drinking while on your porch in the middle of winter. Or any time of the year, for that matter.

Of course, you will never, ever find this at parties. Or many places in the States, either.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2006, 03:43:50 pm »

Here's a tip: if the beer has the word "Ice" at the end and comes in a can larger than a 2 month old baby, you've got a winner.

That's a funny definition of "winner" you've got there, melack.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2006, 04:47:57 pm »

Yeah, I thought beer was crap until I stopped drinking Miller or Bud.

I tried a PBR for the first time last night, and threw up in my mouth a little - although maybe that was because it was the first beer of the night - that first one never goes down smooth.

Get a crispy Stella Artois or Samuel Adams for your first grown-up beer.  That's always a good decision.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2006, 05:58:59 pm »

oh shit yes, jough, Stella Artois is effing delicious. Highly recommended.

Being from Colorado, where the microbrews abound, I'm a little biased towards microbrew or handcrafted beer. My all time favorite is New Belgium Brewery's Sunshine Wheat. I normally hate Hefeweizens with a passion, just hate them to HELL, but Sunshine Wheat is fuck*ng tasty. It's not like Odell's Easy Street Wheat with its ammoniac/cat pee notes at all. My twin sister, Kellichou, thinks I'm crazy for hating on Easy Street Wheat. I guess I"m the only one who can detect the unsavory, hella frightening notes in it.

Of course, in rural Alaska I cannot get New Belgium beer. I like Alaskan Amber, which is quite good, or a delicious Amstel Light. An ex of mine looooves Pabst Blue Ribbon, but I'm not too keen on it.

Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2006, 06:53:48 pm »

Also, regarding this strip, the idea of a police officer whose job it is to shoot people that jump from buildings before they hit the ground is fuck*ng hilarious.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2006, 07:19:51 pm »

I've tried a couple varieties of Samuel Adams and some other stuff I forget but which I was told by people who at least appeared to know was "good beer". The taste was noticeably less vile than "bad beer" but not something I actually wanted to drink. The difference is that bad beer did not taste like something a human ought to be drinking, while good beer, like coffee, had a taste I could comprehend that someone else might conceivably like which simply was not enjoyable for me.

I guess my only point is that it is possible to actually not like beer instead of just "not having had the right one".
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2006, 07:22:49 pm »

That's a funny definition of "winner" you've got there, melack.

Aww, you know I'm just playin' witchoo.

I'm from Seattle, a place with many a fine microbreweries. My favorite is probably Pyramid. They make a very, very delicious Hefeweizen. Throw a little slice of lemon in there and you're in heaven (fuck yoooouuu, Man Law).

Oh, has anyone here been to Munich? I was there this summer. Those  beerhalls/gardens are out of control. Throw down a five euro note and you've got yourself a giant 1 liter glass stein. I used the phrase "Ein mass, bitte" quite a few times there. They've got the beer purity law over there (or did, I think it's changed now?) so all of their beer tastes really good. Problem is, it all tastes kind of the same, because of the restriction on ingredients. Still a great place to go. I was there literally a week and a half before Oktoberfest, which is both good and bad. I missed all the festivities, but considering the horror stories I heard about drunk, urinating Australians, that might not be such a bad thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2006, 07:57:08 pm »

although maybe that was because it was the first beer of the night - that first one never goes down smooth.

I think I have found my problem, people. I have a small stomach. And I get sick of drinking it before I get beyond 1.

also, yesterday by the time I'd finished my first, everything was gone.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2006, 08:56:25 pm »

Hoegaarden tastes like a spoon was melted into the pint.  Some pocket change got dissolved into the stills or something.



Besides for the price, Duvel has the taste that will make me forget the word molecule.

Duvel is overcarbonated.

For wits,  I recommend Chambly or Allagash White over Hoegaarden.
For tripels, I recommend Victory Golden Monkey (9.5% abv love.) or Delerium Tremens.
For trappist/abbey, I recommend Corsendonk over Chimay in that Corsendonk has never given me a hangover.
For quadruppels/barleywines, Allagash Quattro is pretty keen, as is Samichlaus (14% abv love) and to a lesser degree Rogue Old Crustacean.
Logged

Alternate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 141
  • the dinosaurs died for your sins
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2006, 09:08:13 pm »

ok, update, I think I might get the appeal. suddenly.

it still tastes kind of shitty. It's just... a good shitty?

I think that's kind of accurate.  It still tastes bitter, and it still tastes like alcohol, but if you are a grown up and drink good beer you might notice other tastes besides the bitterness and alcohol-ness.  The other tastes are good, and they don't just make the bitterness seem worth it, they make it seem like a necessary part of the beer experience.  Like how people who act like jerks but are secretly nice are sometimes more fun than people who are just straight up nice, even though you might not like the jerk-seeming people at first.  They are an acquired taste. 

The other reason people come to like beer, even shitty beer, is because they get pleasantly drunk off it enough times that they form an association between the shitty taste and the pleasure of being drunk.  In other words, we like beer because we are all Pavlov's bitches. 
Logged
Science fun fact:  Did you know that sharks are the awesomest of all animals?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2006, 10:19:47 pm »

Hey Bobby!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Johnny

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2006, 02:15:00 am »

Hey, do you guys think that the "African tapes" joke is a reference to Awesome Tapes From Africa? It's a music blog that, though it hasn't been updated in a while, was pretty popular to a certain kind of music nerd.

(If you visit that site, please don't miss that awesome Moma Yendodo track; it's pretty mindblowing.)

Yes, I registered just to ask this question. Heh.
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up