Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Terrible dream where Bobby Flay came to my childhood home, danced on the table, recited verse, and we had nothing interesting for him to do.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!  (Read 11239 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2006, 02:40:35 am »

Microbrews are tricky.  Like New Belgiun, I dislike basically all of their beers except for 1554, their dark ale.  We cannot get New Belgium in my state though, because they will only ship it if it can stay cold, and our liqour laws prevent that.  I have some good friends in Boulder and generally do not like most of the Micro Brews around there.  However, if you want to consider Sierra Nevada a micro brew than most of their stuff is pretty amazing.  Everything except their IPA, but Pyramid makes a great IPA.  Carlsberg Elephant is my favcorite beer for getting drunk.  Czechvar is better than Stella.  And Stouts are the best type of brews.

However, some Jameson and Ginger Ale, Knob Creek with a splash of Coke or Chilean/Argentinian Syrah is better than beer.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2006, 02:41:48 am »

Knob Creek with a splash of Coke

Why not just piss in it, you philistine?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2006, 03:03:54 am »

I had a dream last night that I was in a dusty old liquor store.  I asked the old lady tending the store if they had Glenfiddich 18yr and she claimed they did.  Anyway, my week of finals ends Thursday so I think I know how I'm celebrating.  It's gonna take a few days to work up the guts to justify buying a 70 dollar bottle.

Hey, do you guys think that the "African tapes" joke is a reference to Awesome Tapes From Africa?

I doubt it severely, but hey, who knows what kind of shit O scours the internet for?  No one.  Not a one.
Logged
ACHIEVE

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2006, 03:20:55 am »

Why not just piss in it, you philistine?

Don't mess with August's Southern liquors 'round here and expect to get away with it, boy.

I'm glad to see this thread pulled Bobby out of the woodwork, because if it hadn't, it would have proved that he had deserted us forever, like that other guy, you remember, the one with the letter of the alphabet for his name? X? W? You know, whatever it was.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2006, 03:27:49 am »

he got all upset when I said we should hang out, too.

Actually, no. I didn't say that. I commented that I live like half a mile away from him. He said "You stay the hell away." and "I am so changing grocery stores."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2006, 03:30:55 am »

Also, regarding this strip, the idea of a police officer whose job it is to shoot people that jump from buildings before they hit the ground is fuck*ng hilarious.

Took me a moment or two to figure who "L.B." was.  But then it was perfect.


Mmmmmm... bourbon.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2006, 03:34:05 am »

he got all upset when I said we should hang out, too.

Actually, no. I didn't say that. I commented that I live like half a mile away from him. He said "You stay the hell away." and "I am so changing grocery stores."

I'm afraid I ruint him for you.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2006, 03:42:04 am »

Don't mess with August's Southern liquors 'round here and expect to get away with it, boy.

Dang, apparently.  I am from the south as well, though.  Anyways, sorry August, I am not man enough to take it in any other form than shots or with coke.  Sometimes I go with a splash of water, but it is hard. 

All this alcohol talk has made me want a strikeout like no other.  Basically what a strikeout is, is a gravity bong hit that you do not exhale, then you chug a beer and take a shot and exhale.  One time I did this with a Sierra Nevada Porter and some Knob Creek, that was a hell of long (short) night.  Plus it was dumb.  I should have just used some High Lifes and Popov.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2006, 03:47:49 am »

oh my god dude, what did you do to him? Did you make him do that bong of death thing that Keith just scared the bejeezus out of me with?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2006, 03:49:16 am »

Coke is for Tennessee Whiskey (typically Sour Mash). Bourbon is to be drunk neat, with neither mixer nor ice. Unless you're talking about Wild Turkey, which is only palatable when mixed with ginger ale and served over ice.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2006, 03:57:35 am »

Knob Creek is sour mash.  In fact, if I am not mistaken, sour mash is very, very typical in Bourbon.  Also, if you are calling Tennessee Whiskey Jack Daniels then that is basically bourbon but is not made in the right place, plus that thing they do.  Some distilling/filtering thing I can't think of right now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sour_mash
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2006, 04:39:57 am »

Yes that's basically what I'm doing

The difference lies in such as tradition and honor

Proffesional respect makes distillers of whiskey not call their products which might be considered hell of equivalent 'bourbon'

Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2006, 04:50:57 am »

I guess Kentucky wants to be like the French all claiming that it's only Sparkling Wine if it isn't made in the Champagne region of France.  Sorry Frank, but it had to be said. 
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2006, 04:56:25 am »

I for one agree with Kentucky's (is there a Bourbon County?  Well all of it comes from one county I think.) claims.  Anyway, Choop is right, the other places respect Bourbon to much to call their Whiskey that, but they could if they wanted to.

The French are assholes though.  I mean come on.  Bourbon is the sweetest of the brown liqours, it has something that Tennessee whiskey can't touch.  Champagne?  Any idiot could make that.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 05:01:05 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2006, 05:02:24 am »

I guess Kentucky wants to be like the French all claiming that it's only Sparkling Wine if it isn't made in the Champagne region of France.  Sorry Frank, but it had to be said. 

I have to go with Paul on this. Unless there's some botanical difference like with vidalia onions needing to be grown in a specific hunk of dirt.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up