Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Once you been to a few weddings, you realize ain’t nobody gives a damn if you readin’ custom vows or the 1987 “Let’s Go!” guide to Bahrain. Just use that stuff about Do/Don’t and Sickness or Health and you gonna get the job done.  -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!  (Read 11277 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2006, 08:03:20 pm »


Then there was a bartender in Hawaii who tried to tell me that it was unfeminine for me to request a Scotch and soda. Asshole.


Whenever the Technical Staff and I order margaritas, the waitperson can never remember which of us wants the one without salt, and doesn't seem to be able to guess either.  I am always surprised by this.  Isn't without salt the obviously girly choice?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2006, 08:42:17 pm »

Drink your Knob Creek however you like.  Maybe with a splash of OJ or Chocolate Milk.

with a Hunts chaser.

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2006, 09:20:31 pm »

Cheap vodka in a clear plastic jug (Mr. Boston, prefered) and Hawaiian Punch was our college drink of choice.

We called it a "Bloody Janitor", both as a pun on the Bloody Mary and as a reference to the fact that the next morning, the janitor will think someone was puking up blood.

We were classy up in the Syracuse. We were practically wearing monocles.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2006, 09:21:52 pm »

see, the fact that the janitor will know that anyone was puking up anything turns me right off.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2006, 09:30:32 pm »

See, this is the kind of thing that makes me a little discouraged about starting to drink. I already apparently have enough cryptopsychosexual signals indicating to people that I'm overmasculine or transsexual or a hopeless woman-child or whatnot; alcohol only allows a wide, pristine vista for fuck*ng up my perceived identity further.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2006, 09:59:09 pm »

I dunno, though, for where I was college-wise, my adventures in drinking were intensely tame.

At SU, a dork like me who only got destroyed Fridays and Saturdays... and almost never at bars, almost always at parties or small gatherings... that made me practically a teetotaler.

My family history of possessing half-measures of madness... manic-depression on my father's side, a few schizoid-effectives on my mother's side... made me paranoid of drinking too, I didn't have my first drink until college myself.

(I suppose I take after my father's side.)

But for my own purposes, I found that drinking didn't... unleash some uncontrollable id beast or anything and that... ultimately, people only go crazy when drinking if they're purposefully using drinking as an excuse to let that monster out. Because they think that can be their alibi.

"I don't know, I was drunk, don't blame me!"

This may be true of a few people with damaged metabolisms or long-term chemical dependencies.

But I quickly discovered that my inhibitions were almost never lowered any more than if I was kind of sleepy, very managable and never "not me" except maybe that one time I drank to mild alcohol poisoning and even then I just got weepy and started apologizing for things a dozen years old until I passed out.

Most of the time, the worst that happened from overdrinking was... I was physically ill and... that was that.

Was this partly because I never let myself become an every-day drinker as my priorities didn't allow that? Sure, somewhat I suppose.

But really, as long as it isn't overdone or done for the excuse of "letting yourself" go crazy, it could be... at least for me... an effective tool for socializing and generally numbing myself to the madness of being a human, a young human at that, in a world where society is fundamentally failed/inequal and death is a horrible mystery breathing down your neck until the moment it catches you and then probably nothing at all.

The only people who take a Jeckyll ride are the people who've been aching to do so blamelessly.

Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2006, 10:10:07 pm »

I meant in the sense of "if I order X DRINK, people will think Y about me, which is untrue!", possibly in the specific of "if I order something incorrect, AugustWest will think I'm a jerkoff," not the actual effects of alcohol per se, but... thanks for sharing?
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2006, 10:15:42 pm »

Ah! My apologies.

I'll simply repeat my father's wisdom then:

"Look, if you want something that actually tastes good, go eat something tasty. If you're trying to get screwed up, find something that you can keep down and can afford and go get screwed up. The whole point of getting screwed up is not overthinking it."
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2006, 10:27:53 pm »

This whole argument wouldn't take place if we all just drank Milwaukee's Best Ice tall boys from a paper bag.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2006, 10:34:19 pm »

Quote from: melack
Milwaukee's Best Ice

Could a beer taste MORE like urine with rust shavings in it?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2006, 10:55:29 pm »

yeah, all the kids here who drink are of the "I work harder than Dan during the week, and then I drink until I pass out in the hallway and my roommate has to tuck me into bed" variety.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2006, 11:11:56 pm »

All the kids that I know are of the "I drink until like 3 or 4 in the morning everytime I drink (at least 3-4 times a week) unless there is a better drug available(weed doesn't count, it is a helper drug that can stand on its own, but is always there) and I wake up after 4 hours of sleep and go to class and do decent but I don't really give a shit, I can probably get into medical or law or graduate school then I will try hard, and even if I don't get into a graduate school I can at least get a decent job because I graduated from college" variety.  Oh yeah, they are also the "I stay up for a week straight on adderall or other types of speed during finals and pull an all nighter everytime I have a long paper or test" type studiers.  This is also my style, but I recently had to get a job so it is a bit hard to keep up.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2006, 11:21:32 pm »

yeah, I'm trying a thing where I start my paper for tomorrow Now instead of At Midnight. It might work, or it might not.

Right now it is not, since I am on here. And Facebook. Curse the internet (but also, I love it.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2006, 11:30:02 pm »

Could a beer taste MORE like urine with rust shavings in it?

Probably not. I think that's the main ingredient.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Dec 2006 - People in Africa Still Listen to Tapes!
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2006, 12:29:11 am »

yeah, I'm trying a thing where I start my paper for tomorrow Now instead of At Midnight. It might work, or it might not.

Right now it is not, since I am on here. And Facebook. Curse the internet (but also, I love it.)

That is a hard thing to do.  I wrote the majority of a 15 page paper yesterday and am finishing now, along with some internet surfing.  I absolutely had to though, as I have a test at 8 am on tuesday and another at 430pm on tuesday.  Jesus, I mind of wish I had done more earlier, but I will get through with a decent gpa (3+) out of like 10 hard days of work a semester and alot of drugging the rest of the time.  I am alright with that.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up