Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What we need more of is science.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why Do the Rolling Stones Suck?  (Read 2226 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Why Do the Rolling Stones Suck?
« on: December 09, 2006, 01:31:20 am »

I picked up 40 Licks at the pawn shop for a dollar last week and it's got virtually all of their smash hits, but sprinkled in is some of their later day songs some of which I had never heard before which is why I have started this thread.

Almost every true fan of rock and roll music (myself included) places the Rolling Stones at or near the top of their list of greatest bands ever.  By the same token almost everyone agrees (again myself included) that they really suck balls now.  There is a lot of disagreement as to when the ball sucking began, for me Some Girls was their last great album (also their last good album or even ok album) and it's been straight up sucking since then.  But I don't really know why this is.  What changed?  Can anyone explain this to me?  I'd really like to know.  Thanks.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

FlipConstantine

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 20
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 322
  • In my hood homeboys state the obvious.
    • View Profile
    • Mac Fag Confidential
Re: Why Do the Rolling Stones Suck?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 02:54:19 am »

The complete physical decay, but never complete structural failure of most of the members?
Logged
Everyday I'm hustlin.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Why Do the Rolling Stones Suck?
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 03:42:55 am »

Emotional Rescue was pretty good...

To answer your question, I think that rock and roll is a young man's game.  Mick Jagger is my mother's age.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Why Do the Rolling Stones Suck?
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 04:22:29 am »

Like I said, there is a lot of debate as to when the sucking actually began.  I didn't like Emotional rescue when it came out.  Maybe I would enjoy it more now.  Don't know.  It's not a spectacular album I'm sure of that.

It's definitely possible to kick ass into ones senior years, look at Neil Young.  But there could be something to the age argument. Not so much the fact that they are old so much as they are trying to pretend they are still young.  Maybe if they stopped acting like they are still 25 and embraced their age they could produce some relevant music.  I don't know.

I guess I'm just wishing because it would be really sweet if somehow they were to return to form.  It's time for a late era Rolling Stones renaissance.

~Paul
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Why Do the Rolling Stones Suck?
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 04:29:19 am »

Maybe the difference is Neil Young quit writing new songs like 20 years ago. They're all the same songs with different words -- and sometimes, not by too much.

They've both used up their quotas, but Neil recognized it and the Stones didn't.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Why Do the Rolling Stones Suck?
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 07:04:16 am »

See, I don't like old Neil Young.  I figure I will when I am a bit older.  The Stones sucked aftern Brian Jones got kicked out of the band.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Why Do the Rolling Stones Suck?
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 07:08:02 am »

Part of the appeal of the earlier Rolling Stones stuff was that... for better or for worse... they were the first huge-huge-huge band pulling certain older blues elements back into White People's Pop Rock. Even now, outside of the context of the times, there's that... freshness, you know?

When your primary strength was the way you were innovative (in terms of the mainstream, of course) in your early days... and then... you don't innovate again... for thirty or forty years, you're going to fall into a trap where that early innovation defines and makes your later derivative work look all the paler for it.

Touring on the strength of that early work until your grandkids can be the back-up singer only puts the punctuation on that tragic paragraph.

That's why part of why the Beatles succeeded, nostalgia-wise, and the Beach Boys and the Stones and so on failed... the Beatles had the smarts to give up the quick money of touring that would've crippled them creatively and tied them to their early work with every next concert.

Touring lots and lots and lots soon provides diminishing returns, once you have the fame to make your money off records alone. Your touring image... fundamentally built on your biggest early hits as that's the nature of big rock concerts... becomes your image.

If you have the balls to tour sparingly once you're established... or to at least tour unconventionally without just pumping out ninety minutes of your radio hits and then getting on a bus for the next town... people will start seeing you by your albums instead.

Whereas, like, the Beatles can have fans who actively dislike their earliest stuff (such as myself) but love their later material and... there's no issue, everybody's happy.

Stones screwed their image by going back to the road money five thousand too many times.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Why Do the Rolling Stones Suck?
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 10:23:21 am »

If an artist is ever going to stay good as they mature, they'll need the music they produce to mature with them. As people have said, the Stones keep on knocking out what might have been old standards, but as time goes on their new material has become increasingly anachronistic and I think it shows in quality decline; there are very, very few ongoing '60s/70's bands who can write music in the same style they did when they young 'uns, and still maintain the 'feel' that makes a band great. For example, that recent Zombies album wasn't too far a departure from their '60s material, but it still sucked.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.
Pages: [1]   Go Up