Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Established 2003
TOUAMB: Wandering off topic since the early 21st Century

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Happy holidays!  (Read 10484 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Happy holidays!
« on: December 18, 2006, 01:20:17 am »

Have you finished your shopping?  I sure haven't.  I have had a devil of a time finding such simple things as Hot Wheels cars for my nephew.  Also: I am horrible at buying things people want this year.  The best I can find so far are iTunes gift certificates.

Still, at least I'm not going to a mall to shop.  That would be suicide.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Happy holidays!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 01:38:48 am »

what does my girlfriend want?
I do not know.
what does my little sister want?
I do not know.

how will I find out?
I do not know.

I feel like a grownup!
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Happy holidays!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 02:30:04 am »

Ha ha! I haven't purchased a Xmas gift in at least four years. I love just buying people shit when I feel like it, and not being held to a schedule.

Seriously, though - happy holidays, all.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Happy holidays!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 02:38:38 am »

Paradox: I have shopped for my parents, who both profess to want nothing in particular this year, but have not yet shopped for the Gentleman Caller, who has given me a list. Reverse psychology?
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Happy holidays!
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 02:39:07 pm »

Paradox: I have shopped for my parents, who both profess to want nothing in particular this year, but have not yet shopped for the Gentleman Caller, who has given me a list. Reverse psychology?

Gentleman Caller?  What was on the list? New unicorn for menagerie?  One dozen blue roses?  If so, watch out, he might have a sickly girl with a limp he's secretly seeing behind your back.

As for me, due to serious problems at home, I found myself buying gifts then worrying that I was providing positive reenforcement for unacceptable behavior.  How's that for messed up psychology?

I brought back lots of cool stuff from Indonesia for everyone back home, then felt deeply covetous of it all. Nothing like bringing back a suitcase of irreplaceable items, then realizing you should have bought two of everything!  Oh well.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Happy holidays!
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 02:46:07 pm »

Only two more days till the days stop getting shorter!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Happy holidays!
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 02:50:04 pm »

Gentleman Caller?  What was on the list? New unicorn for menagerie?  One dozen blue roses?  If so, watch out, he might have a sickly girl with a limp he's secretly seeing behind your back.

As for me, due to serious problems at home, I found myself buying gifts then worrying that I was providing positive reenforcement for unacceptable behavior.  How's that for messed up psychology?

I brought back lots of cool stuff from Indonesia for everyone back home, then felt deeply covetous of it all. Nothing like bringing back a suitcase of irreplaceable items, then realizing you should have bought two of everything!  Oh well.

A can for pleurosis.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Happy holidays!
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 05:53:01 pm »

Only two more days till the days stop getting shorter!

HUZZAH!!!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Happy holidays!
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 09:28:54 pm »

Gentleman Caller?  What was on the list? New unicorn for menagerie?  One dozen blue roses?  If so, watch out, he might have a sickly girl with a limp he's secretly seeing behind your back.

Actually, mostly pretentious prog-rock albums and DVDs of Dr. Mabuse films. And PDA accessories. Never say I don't date an exciting man.

("Gentleman Caller" is a response to the thread some time ago where I basically got accused of being bloodless for referring to him as my SO. I suspect I could go even frippier-inappropriate if I tried, but I am not eager to make this effort.)
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Happy holidays!
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 03:47:57 am »

Amazon wishlists, people.  Set one up, and the next time someone says "You're hard to shop for," you can say "The hell I'm hard to shop for.  I got a list of like 30 things I want in all price ranges, right on Amazon."

I just wrapped like 10 gifts.  I was a wrappin' machine.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Happy holidays!
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 03:53:01 am »

my girlfriend keeps asking me to tell her things I don't want. So far the list is: a handgun, cufflinks, a note that says "Daniel, I am breaking up with you."

she does not think this is very helpful, but, she hasn't really given me any hints, either.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Happy holidays!
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 03:55:13 am »

Amazon wishlists, people.  Set one up, and the next time someone says "You're hard to shop for," you can say "The hell I'm hard to shop for.  I got a list of like 30 things I want in all price ranges, right on Amazon."

I just wrapped like 10 gifts.  I was a wrappin' machine.

I always keep mine up to date but find people don't like buying from it. They all want to give me something I didn't ask for or something "special" (as opposed to a book or CD I could easily buy for myself).
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Happy holidays!
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 03:56:50 am »

I have an Amazon wishlist.  No one else in my family does.  They agree that it makes things much easier for them.

But regardless, I was able to suss out something for everyone in the correct price range, I think.  The only iffy prospect is my lawyer brother-in-law, who is very difficult to shop for but either loves everything he gets or is very good at lying.  Lawyer.  Hmm.

About half my list was a total cop-out, though, because everyone who owns an iPod is getting an iTunes iGift iCard, because they are iConvenient and can be iShipped for iFree.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Happy holidays!
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2006, 04:05:38 am »

I have an Amazon wishlist.  No one else in my family does.  They agree that it makes things much easier for them.

But regardless, I was able to suss out something for everyone in the correct price range, I think.  The only iffy prospect is my lawyer brother-in-law, who is very difficult to shop for but either loves everything he gets or is very good at lying.  Lawyer.  Hmm.

About half my list was a total cop-out, though, because everyone who owns an iPod is getting an iTunes iGift iCard, because they are iConvenient and can be iShipped for iFree.

This reminds me, I just heard the rumor that Amazon is going after #2 music site eMusic by selling unprotected mp3's. This could be interesting. Of course I have like 20 months left on my eMusic contract but I don't see Amazon beating  ~$0.17/song so it should all work out. It'll just be another reason to regift iTunes gift cards that I get.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Happy holidays!
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 03:36:26 pm »

This reminds me, I just heard the rumor that Amazon is going after #2 music site eMusic by selling unprotected mp3's. This could be interesting. Of course I have like 20 months left on my eMusic contract but I don't see Amazon beating  ~$0.17/song so it should all work out. It'll just be another reason to regift iTunes gift cards that I get.

I don't see iTunes gift cards as being incompatible with eMusic.  I've got a good half-dozen albums I'm interested in that aren't on eMusic--either major-label stuff, or some indie label that just doesn't have a deal with eMusic.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up