Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood My bicycle is parked in the living room. A tub of tartar sauce sits open on the counter. Truly, the evidence of a wife being away too long.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Three times its face value, or 500 dollars, whichever was more. (12/18/06)  (Read 2247 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun

"that night he tried to commit suicide... but it was so bare that all he could do was roll off the bed until the people downstairs complained."

yes. Straight Blues.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 08:54:39 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Three times its face value, or 500 dollars, whichever was more. (12/18/06)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 10:17:16 am »

This is a pretty funny "strip", but probably one of the hardest Achewood threads to name. 

Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Three times its face value, or 500 dollars, whichever was more. (12/18/06)
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 01:39:58 pm »

I was unmoved by this, until the last sentence, which made it all worthwhile.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Three times its face value, or 500 dollars, whichever was more. (12/18/06)
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 01:50:33 pm »

I'm guessing we get another reading exercise tomorrow where they actually meet.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Three times its face value, or 500 dollars, whichever was more. (12/18/06)
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 07:34:31 pm »

I quite liked this one but it does raise a question:

When something such as this off-format strip happens, do you ever sit back for a moment and wonder... was the artist playing around with different styles and approaches so as to branch out and experiment or was it a default because the goals of that day's strip weren't going to be accomplished easily in the conventional format?

Because, were I a comic strip artist, I could see myself often saying "aw, crap, I can't figure out how to get the funny and the plot development into the same strip without drawing way more than I want to and putting off future strips in the effort so... I'll draw a couple of things and just put my script for the comic next to it."

In this particular case, I have no idea either way and no judgment upon either reality. It's just a thing.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Three times its face value, or 500 dollars, whichever was more. (12/18/06)
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 09:04:36 pm »

I am reminded of Sullivan's Bear and Dried Bird, and I suspect that, when I search the archives in the years to come, I will be just as surprised by this strip as I am by that one. This is certainly the right medium; otherwise, we would have like fifteen panels of Ray just talking and Lyle nodding, like the non-Socrates participant in any Socratic dialectic ever.
Logged

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: Three times its face value, or 500 dollars, whichever was more. (12/18/06)
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 10:48:05 pm »

Less readin mor junk yanking dammit. yeaarggh. this is a plot to draw less leading up to the holiday me suspecting much. wavery junkmouth images don't make monday fuck*ngfun day.
Logged
We must repeat!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Three times its face value, or 500 dollars, whichever was more. (12/18/06)
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 11:37:45 pm »

Less readin mor junk yanking dammit. yeaarggh. this is a plot to draw less leading up to the holiday me suspecting much. wavery junkmouth images don't make monday fuck*ngfun day.

Drunk, or posting in Caveman? You be the judge!
Logged

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: Three times its face value, or 500 dollars, whichever was more. (12/18/06)
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 12:11:33 am »

YES
Logged
We must repeat!

vivouk

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 19
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 88
    • View Profile
Re: Three times its face value, or 500 dollars, whichever was more. (12/18/06)
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006, 01:29:20 am »

CHOOSE
Logged

nuero

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 105
    • View Profile
Re: Three times its face value, or 500 dollars, whichever was more. (12/18/06)
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2006, 09:27:41 pm »

I quite liked this one but it does raise a question:

When something such as this off-format strip happens, do you ever sit back for a moment and wonder... was the artist playing around with different styles and approaches so as to branch out and experiment or was it a default because the goals of that day's strip weren't going to be accomplished easily in the conventional format?

Because, were I a comic strip artist, I could see myself often saying "aw, crap, I can't figure out how to get the funny and the plot development into the same strip without drawing way more than I want to and putting off future strips in the effort so... I'll draw a couple of things and just put my script for the comic next to it."

In this particular case, I have no idea either way and no judgment upon either reality. It's just a thing.

or, if he'd tried to make it an actual strip, it would've taken three days (which probably means a week), and the board would've probably whined about how slowly the strip was moving
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Three times its face value, or 500 dollars, whichever was more. (12/18/06)
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2006, 09:45:41 pm »

or, if he'd tried to make it an actual strip, it would've taken three days (which probably means a week), and the board would've probably whined about how slowly the strip was moving

Oh! How precious! nuero tried to get it to sound like, "Y O U R
                                                                                            F A U L T"
                                                                             
Logged

nuero

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 4
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 105
    • View Profile
Re: Three times its face value, or 500 dollars, whichever was more. (12/18/06)
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2007, 02:32:19 pm »

oh, awesome, a reference to achewood.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up