Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Surprising fact: toothpaste is a complete protein.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Urban Dead Thread  (Read 25135 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Urban Dead Thread
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2007, 12:04:24 am »

You get a can for listening to Gil Evans and Miles Davis.
A can to you, good sir, for loving le jazz hot.
Does that make this a zero-can game?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Urban Dead Thread
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2007, 10:32:43 pm »

So, I'm bumping against the server-hit limit.  I've got 2 characters and Pedro doesn't play from our home computer.  My alt is dead (again) because I ran out of server hits before I ran out of AP.  What the heck? 

If this keeps up, I might have to donate $5.  (I might anyway, but I might do it sooner rather than later.)  But has anyone else run into this?  I checked the FAQ, but I don't use AOL or anything -- I have Roadrunner broadband. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Urban Dead Thread
« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2007, 12:14:02 am »

JL and other veterans: What do you recommend for this. I am in Mornington (as Terry Chambers) Police Department. I have spent five days doing nothing but collecting ammo, because the building is currently heavily barricaded and if I leave I cannot get back in.

Should I just wait it out? I really don't want to die, but I can't get free running until I go out there and kill zombies.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Urban Dead Thread
« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2007, 12:59:37 am »

it has worked for me to leave my safe-house, as long as I always leave 10 AP to find a new place that is barricaded to VS.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Urban Dead Thread
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2007, 02:11:15 am »

I wouldn't consider myself a "Veteran," but Pedro has given me a lot of tips.  Both my characters are dead right now because although I had plenty of AP I didn't have enough server hits left to get to where I was trying to go.  (grumble.)  But, here's what I usually do, and it works most of the time:

Go to the wiki page for the suburb you're in (in this case, click here) and see if there's a posted barricade plan.  Some burbs have groups that maintain barricade conditions to allow access to important resource buildings, especially for those without free running, and they usually also maintain revive points (usually in cemetaries).  Mornington isn't a great place to be without free running but there are some buildings that are (in theory at least) kept to VSB and therefore accessable as entry points.  If you're at Ashenden Way PD (10,62) I think the closest ones are:

Warehouse (10,60)
Cooksley Bank (12,61)
Ripley Motel (10,66)
Philips Bank (19,62)

And if you're at Merewether Rd. PD (12,69) try heading south into Wykewood.  Pedro is part of the Josephine's Generals, they keep the suburb cleaned up pretty well and they stick to the UBP pretty rigorously.  You ought to be able to get into the Massey Dr. Railway Station (13,70). 

I wonder if Wiki hits count against your daily limit?  That could explain my current predicament...
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Urban Dead Thread
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2007, 04:07:35 am »

Judy-- I have a guy in Mornington. J Roberts, a Medic. I'm in Mainstone Auto Repair. He is, currently, my secondary guy.

edit: he has now moved just north, to St Maximillian's Hospital. It is on the very very southern edge of Reganbank, which is just north of Mornington.

I am currently debating whether to get basic firearm training or Diagnosis (he's a medic). Basic firearm training could help him get XP more easily, and then I could get Diagnosis more quickly (since it costs 150 XP)... on the other hand, Diagnosis would help him find people who needed healing. Hm.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 09:23:36 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Urban Dead Thread
« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2007, 09:50:55 pm »

Healing people gets you XP, too.  It depends how you want to earn your points, I guess. 

LadyEleanor is in Wykewood (just south of Mornington).  Her charming FranklinD revived her, so she's back among the living and holed up in a police station looting for ammo. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Urban Dead Thread
« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2007, 10:09:19 pm »

yes-- the issue is that without Diagnosis, I end up wasting a lot of AP trying to heal people who don't need it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Urban Dead Thread
« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2007, 10:19:57 pm »

Right, what I'm saying is that if you get diagnosis, you can tell when people need healing and you'll be able to get your xp from healing without wasting AP.  Or you could get basic firearms training and blow the crap out of every zombie you see.  I think we're saying the same thing; just do the math and figure out which will get you the most XP per AP used. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Urban Dead Thread
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2007, 10:36:09 pm »

sounds good. The only problem is that I'm impatient, and Diagnosis takes twice as much XP as Firearms Training does.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

innes

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 42
  • thanks awfully
    • View Profile
Re: Urban Dead Thread
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2007, 11:57:33 pm »

What do you recommend for this. I am in Mornington (as Terry Chambers) Police Department. I have spent five days doing nothing but collecting ammo, because the building is currently heavily barricaded and if I leave I cannot get back in.

Buy a big sponge cake and eat the whole thing in a one'er.
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Urban Dead Thread
« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2007, 05:55:37 am »

inev, since you're playing a military character I highly recommend taking advantage of the discounts ASAP. With good weapon skills you will have enough XP to be a crazy-awesome medic very soon.

As a civilian or scientist, Diagnosis is a very good XP-gaining option. As a military character, not so much so.
Logged

Pedro Picasso

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 39
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 599
  • What the HECK, Dora?!
    • View Profile
Updates
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2007, 09:58:41 pm »

So how's everyone doing?  Are you enjoying the game?  Did you get bored?

Currently, I'm in a factory in Ruddlebank stocking up on generators and fuel cans.  I'm working on "Light up the Wyke!", an effort to put a working generator in every building of Wykewood.  Mostly this will involve searching factories for generators and fuel cans and convincing others in my group, Josephine's Generals, to do the same.  Once you hit level 41 (every skill but brain rot), you have to kind of make up your own silly games to keep it fun.  It becomes a game of how many people can you get doing the same thing at the same time.

On that front, I think Acheheads are a sufficiently dedicated group to do some really wacky things in unison.  It would be fun to spray paint dialogue from strips on every block of a neighborhood.  Stuff like that.  Once we have enough people at a high enough level to take care of themselves, we might consider forging our own group.  Meanwhile, I really recommend Wykewood as a safe neighborhood, and Josephine's Generals as a bang up group of warm bodies.
Logged

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Urban Dead Thread
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2007, 10:01:48 pm »

Once I scrounged up a pile of spray cans and tagged up an entire neighborhood with directions like "go three blocks north" or "go one block east" or whatnot. They didn't actually lead anywhere although anyone who followed them would have wandered around the neighborhood indefinitely.

Also fun: getting a posse to fill their inventories with flareguns before 4th of July/Guy Fawkes Day/New Year's and then run around setting them off in every block of your chosen area.
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Urban Dead Thread
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2007, 10:14:33 pm »

I'm doing fine! I've settled on Terry Chambers as my character. I know this for a fact because I did not start a new character when he died.

I'm having some fun as a Zombie, but look forward to being revived. I can almost get Free Running.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up