Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Man Pat you don't gotta talk to me like they teach you in that class for people with too much anger.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A Soulless Christmas  (Read 3463 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
A Soulless Christmas
« on: December 25, 2006, 10:40:26 am »

RIP James Brown.  A great musician, who is given credit for a lot of big things that aren't quite true, but are pretty true (disco rap etc).  Probably one of the most energetic live shows ever, and certainly one of our cultures most recognizable musicians.  Also, a player in civil rights, arguably our countries greatest issue/problem/debate, etc.  He had is flaws, but was a showman to the end; he upstaged Jesus on his birthday, at least in my mind.

Sad news.    http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/12/25/james.brown.obit.ap/index.html

Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: A Soulless Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 02:48:39 pm »

wow, I thought this was going to be something depressing that you were going to say that would ruin my whole goddamn day.

I was kind of right, but not in the way I expected. I kind of thought my dog was dead this morning, too. He wasn't. James Brown... what a guy.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: A Soulless Christmas
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 04:35:42 pm »

That's a shitty Christmas present.

* melack pours a forty on the sidewalk

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: A Soulless Christmas
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 04:59:26 pm »

RIP Godfather.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: A Soulless Christmas
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2006, 05:27:07 pm »

I betcha St. Pete asks him for an autograph before he sends him back to Purgatory.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: A Soulless Christmas
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2006, 06:44:51 pm »

Damn, it's the end of an era. I will keep my wifebeater comments to myself.
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: A Soulless Christmas
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2006, 07:11:52 pm »

I never thought it could happen.
Logged
ACHIEVE

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: A Soulless Christmas
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2006, 07:46:26 pm »

Yeah, James Brown is pretty much at the top of the "celebrities you didn't think of as mortal" list. That he's dead and Abe Vigoda (the top of the "celebrities you could swear were dead" list, now that Bob Hope kicked it) is still alive just boggles the mind.

Sorry, Mr. Vigoda. I don't have anything against you, and I'm glad you're alive, just... y'know.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: A Soulless Christmas
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2006, 07:47:02 pm »

I didn't feel good hearing this news.

And I knew that I wouldn't.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: A Soulless Christmas
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2006, 04:03:07 am »

I woke up at 3 AM Christmas Day and this is what CNN told me.

It isn't cool.  George Clinton is now the only living supplier of hip hop beats.  The gene pool will soon stagnate until all records become re-mixes of Funky Drummer or Flashlight*.

*This may already have happened.

While it is true that the man couldn't look in the mirror without involving the police, he was also one of the few figures who shook us out of the fifties and gave us new forms to groove to.

Mr. Godfather sir, we'll miss you and your teeth.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: A Soulless Christmas
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2006, 06:20:34 am »

Quote from: Lister
George Clinton is now the only living supplier of hip hop beats.

Soon all they will have left are Steely Dan songs and television theme songs.

Hundreds will sample the ALF theme, alone.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: A Soulless Christmas
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2006, 03:09:44 pm »

And now, James Brown is hanging out with Gerald Ford.

I read an item in a JB obit about the Rolling Stones being afraid to take the stage after Brown during a big show in the mid-60's.  That is some bad-ass shit right there, rocking so freakin' hard that Jagger and Richards know they can't compete.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Re: A Soulless Christmas
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2006, 05:13:45 pm »

Yeah, there was a black-and-white thing called the TAMI Show, where James Brown went out and incinerated the place.  The Rolling Stones came on afterwards and Mick Jagger did his top-dollar - and slightly pathetic - best to imitate Mr. Brown's moves.  YouTube seems to have removed any trace, but I'm sure you can find it somewhere. 
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: A Soulless Christmas
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2006, 05:41:52 pm »

That is pretty amazing.  The Stones thing.

I wonder who the third will be?  That is, famous people die in threes (obviously not a scientific law), who will be the third?

I saw some shot of the NYSE doing a moment of silence for Ford, it was pretty screwed up.  Does everyone there have a pack of gum in their mouths at all times? 

Also, I wonder if old celebrities ever get real worried when two other famous people die.  Like, is Bob Dylan really worried right now?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: A Soulless Christmas
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2006, 04:35:50 pm »

At this point, I can confidently state that I feel better than James Brown.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up