Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood It's National Johnny Cash Raise Hell Awareness Saturday Night. Go out and Fuck Shit Up in a Way That You Believe In!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Rainy Day Music...  (Read 6574 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Rainy Day Music...
« on: September 24, 2003, 02:55:27 pm »

For those of use who are feeling the cold heavy weight of fall, let's talk about music for rainy days.

This morning it was raining and cold, so I slipped in the Smiths "Strangeways Here We Come" and waited for the bus.  The music actually seemed too upbeat for the grouchy soggy weather.  Thankfully it included "Unhappy Birthday" and it is my b-day on Saturday.

For days like this I like Bob Dylan, for more stormy days Tool is good, and went it's so bad I don't want to go out at all a good soak in the tub with a little Molly Johnson is great.

Anyone else?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

PinkStainlessTail

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 269
    • View Profile
    • http://horsmanistan.blogspot.com/
Rainy Day Music...
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2003, 03:52:50 pm »

The Raincoats.
Logged
"Plush. Rabid. Festering. Pulchritude. Eschew!"

"That may be the worst cheer ever."
-The University of Universal Understanding, S. Aldred

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Rainy Day Music...
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2003, 04:26:54 pm »

I find it difficult to work out what I'd listen to on a day that's all rain and grey.
Some days it'd be something warm and soothy, since I quite like being in, in the warm on a grey, dark day.
But if I was feeling down Tom Waits probably.
But as I say, I just kind of, put music on, I don't really think about what mood I'm in, I just seem to pick what's right.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Rainy Day Music...
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2003, 04:55:44 pm »

Blue by Joni Mitchell.

Or Mob Rules by Sabbath.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Rainy Day Music...
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2003, 05:02:12 pm »

I tend to go the other way. Like when I'm driving home from work and it's a raining and depressing (see also: this entire summer) I like to pop in a fast throwdown kind of CD like Fidel - Fidel.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Rainy Day Music...
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2003, 06:24:59 pm »

Quote from: "slink"
But if I was feeling down Tom Waits probably.


I saw an INSANE musical by Tom Waits at the Fringe Festival a couple years ago.  I don't remember it's name right now though, but it envolved some crazy imagery like a dead bride being dragged around by her foot by the groom in full wedding gear.  It totally blew my mind.  I don't own anything by Tom Waits - I'm always embarrased to buy anything that says "best of," and I really don't know where to start.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Rainy Day Music...
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2003, 06:31:57 pm »

Quote from: "side_show"
Quote from: "slink"
But if I was feeling down Tom Waits probably.


I saw an INSANE musical by Tom Waits at the Fringe Festival a couple years ago.  I don't remember it's name right now though, but it envolved some crazy imagery like a dead bride being dragged around by her foot by the groom in full wedding gear.  It totally blew my mind.  I don't own anything by Tom Waits - I'm always embarrased to buy anything that says "best of," and I really don't know where to start.


The musical will have been Alice - the story of the man. The album is avilable (and I have it).
I'd recommend buying Nighthawks at the Diner or Mule Variations first. Nighthawks is an improv jazz night he did early on and is superb!
Mule Variations is more like his usual style, jazz but with lots extra thrown in.
My favourites are the above, Alice and Bone Machine.
Although i still have to get Blood Money which was the album unrelated to Alice that was kind of his accompanying album to it, in that it was at the same time and thus it goes well with it.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

PinkStainlessTail

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 0
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 269
    • View Profile
    • http://horsmanistan.blogspot.com/
Rainy Day Music...
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2003, 06:38:14 pm »

Personally, I'd go with Frank's Wild Years, but 'sall a matter of taste.
Logged
"Plush. Rabid. Festering. Pulchritude. Eschew!"

"That may be the worst cheer ever."
-The University of Universal Understanding, S. Aldred

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Rainy Day Music...
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2003, 07:00:36 pm »

Rain Dogs, baby!  It's a perfect introduction to the rain-soaked carny-barker period of his career.  The first half of the album is just non-stop brilliance.  

Dammit, now I have to go put it on!  And it's sunny here in Los Angeles!
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Rainy Day Music...
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2003, 08:56:19 pm »

Quote from: "Asherdan"
For some reason The Doors - particularly Strange Days - really seems to fit rainy ass fall weather.


Yes - the Doors work for me when I want to stay in and reaquaint myself with the old wapagonia.


As for Mule Variations, Nighthawks at the Diner, and Frank's Wild Years I'll have to take a look.  Thanks!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Rainy Day Music...
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2003, 09:46:09 pm »

Ditto on both Frank's Wild Years and Rain Dogs.  I mean, Gun Street Girl will keep me going for a long time.

Chris Isaak "Heart Shaped World" is a good rainy day album.

Morphine "Cure for Pain" is good for a rainy night in the city.

V-Adore

  • Guest
Rainy Day Music...
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2003, 10:35:19 pm »

Yesterday it rained like hell here, and for some reason I fixated on "Saturn Return." For all the ass that Reveal consistently fails to kick (see previous thread and other ranting on this board), this one's a rainy-day keeper.
Logged

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Rainy Day Music...
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2003, 11:42:42 pm »

Quote from: "jough"
Ditto on both Frank's Wild Years and Rain Dogs.  I mean, Gun Street Girl will keep me going for a long time.

Chris Isaak "Heart Shaped World" is a good rainy day album.

Morphine "Cure for Pain" is good for a rainy night in the city.


Seconding Cure for Pain big time! Superb album.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AlohaDawg

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 79
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4184
  • Crawlin' back to prosperity
    • View Profile
Rainy Day Music...
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2003, 11:50:21 pm »

Reading this thread makes me want to buy albums by people I never heard of. That's what I like most about trying to keep up with the cool people posting on this thread.

My tastes probably seem more pedestrian in nature but for rainy days or rainy moods I usually like to put on Ricky Lee Jones. Also there is a Chuck Mangione album called "Children of Sanchez" that complements the blue tones.
Logged

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Rainy Day Music...
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2003, 03:21:49 am »

I don't know who Ricky Lee Jones is or what he or she does.

Is this a good thing?

My tastes are what they are.  I like some obscure stuff, but not because it's obscure or "indie."  Basically I like music that doesn't suck.

And of course I do tend to listen to a disproportionate amount of 80s New Wave too.

We're gonna prove we're adults now. We're not a punk rock band, we're a NEW WAVE band.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up