Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Young man on the #6 bus, The Doors were not a British band.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Check out what Mrs. West found in the yard this morning  (Read 4808 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Check out what Mrs. West found in the yard this morning
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2006, 11:54:18 am »

Judy's Tiresome Yet Obligatory Look-at-me-I'm-British Part

The wildlife here is generally like the Cure: kind of pretty but useless in a fight, and the snakes are no exception. I think the closest I've ever been to an actual dangerous situation with a snake is when I ran one over with my scooter, by accident. It was an adder, the only poisonous snakes in England from what I know. It was a pretty tough thing, because instead of flattening it, my scooter tumbled over it's bulbous body. I cracked my elbow, but the pain did not distract me from the fact that the only poisonous snake in Britain was a metre away with me lying prone. I scrambled away in a Teodor-like fashion, only to watch the snake glare at me a little before disappearing into some nearby reeds.

Sorry to all animal liking guys and gals* here, but I had a rock in my hand and seriously considered braining the poor sod. Maybe I was too young to be watching films like Anaconda.

*I like animals, but I'm also mortally afraid of being bitten.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Check out what Mrs. West found in the yard this morning
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2006, 01:02:59 pm »

Ordinarily, I wouldn't decapitate anything at all.

Well, that's good to know.

I am embarrassed to say that either my geography or my herpetology is so poor that I didn't realize there was a venomous species in Britain. I had it mixed up with Ireland and Saint Patrick chasing them all out, I guess? Education.

Again though I feel compelled to say that if you are afraid of being bitten it is safer not to brain the snake with a rock.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Check out what Mrs. West found in the yard this morning
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2006, 01:49:42 pm »

Mostly my snake contact has always been very controlled, although I've had happy encounters with adders throughout forestry on Scotland. Not the same, but while in Canada we saw this snake at Niagra. A friend at the wedding who works in a reptile house said it was somewhat rare for the area but we didn't identify it and so have no idea. I ended up moving it as shortly after a bunch of kids arrived and started tormenting it since it had nowhere to hide. Any ideas what it is? Or is it just really boring afterall?
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Check out what Mrs. West found in the yard this morning
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2006, 03:11:19 pm »

Just be certain we're clear on this -- we did not decapitate the snake.  It was headless when we found it.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Check out what Mrs. West found in the yard this morning
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2006, 03:14:46 pm »

Just be certain we're clear on this -- we did not decapitate the snake.  It was headless when we found it.

I must've fallen off a truck like that. Yeah, that's the ticket.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Check out what Mrs. West found in the yard this morning
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2006, 03:41:26 pm »

You know, if I cut a snake in half, the part I'd want to toss away would be the head. I mean, that's the dangerous part.  Maybe someone thought you were the kind of person who would appreciate some nice fresh snake meat to fry up?

Slink: Maritime garter snake?  Which I guess is rare in Ontario since everything I find talks about it in Nova Scotia?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Check out what Mrs. West found in the yard this morning
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2006, 03:53:02 pm »

What's in the box, Frank?

What's in the box?

WHAT'S IN THE BOX, FRANK?
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Check out what Mrs. West found in the yard this morning
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2006, 04:37:46 pm »

Slink: Maritime garter snake?  Which I guess is rare in Ontario since everything I find talks about it in Nova Scotia?

Figured it would still be Canadian at the very least. Thanks for the info though. A can to you!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Check out what Mrs. West found in the yard this morning
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2006, 10:46:53 pm »

I am embarrassed to say that either my geography or my herpetology is so poor that I didn't realize there was a venomous species in Britain. I had it mixed up with Ireland and Saint Patrick chasing them all out, I guess? Education.

Well, what do you think they're doing in Britain, anyway?

(Answer: biding their time.)
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up