Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Sssshhh...I'm discovering Sleater-Kinney. This is a special time in a boy's life.

Poll

Do you have any New Year's Resolutions?

Yes
No

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Year's Resolutions  (Read 2546 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
New Year's Resolutions
« on: December 31, 2006, 07:06:03 am »

I guess that there's no New Year's Resolution thread yet. I'm on call and just hanging out at home. Everyone else is probably out partying. Whoo! I'll be there when someone needs an ambulance.

My New Years Resolutions:

  • Tell my family members how much I love them. Call them more often.
  • Save enough to put x amount into a CD at the bank.
  • Buy my two must-have perfumes, Frederic Malle's Musc Ravageur and L'Artisan Parfumeur's Timbuktu.
  • Work out at least 5 times per week and include strength training. I usually just do cardio but strength training is very important.
  • Run a 9-minute mile. I hate running but it will make me a better firefighter.
  • Grow my hair as long as possible. It is currently a little past the shoulders. It grows fast so I could get as much as 6" of growth in '07. I also really want to get the T3 Evolution hair dryer...(EDIT: I knuckled under and bought this on eBay earlier tonight).
  • Buy the study books for the AICP exams, which is going to be like $500. :(
  • Register to take the AICP exam in '08.
  • Take the exams to become an EMT-III, which is one step below a paramedic. IIIs can do advanced cardiac life support.

How about the rest of y'all? It feels a little weird to come up with a list. However, I looked up the lyrics to Auld Lang Syne online so that I can sing it loud and proud tomorrow night. I even found a great MP3 that Wikipedia linked to: an MP3 of "Auld Lang Syne" as sung by Kenneth McKellar.

Robert Burns’ verse:

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
and never brought to mind ?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
and auld lang syne ?

    CHORUS:
    For auld lang syne, my dear,
    for auld lang syne,
    we’ll tak a cup o’ kindness yet,
    for auld lang syne.

And surely ye’ll be your pint-stowp !
And surely I’ll be mine !
And we’ll tak a cup o’ kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.

    CHORUS

We twa hae run about the braes,
and pou’d the gowans fine ;
But we’ve wander’d mony a weary fit,
sin’ auld lang syne.

    CHORUS

We twa hae paidl’d in the burn,
frae morning sun till dine ;
But seas between us braid hae roar’d
sin’ auld lang syne.

    CHORUS

And there’s a hand, my trusty fiere !
And gies a hand o’ thine !
And we’ll tak a right gude-willie-waught,
for auld lang syne.

    CHORUS
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 07:16:47 am by linnea »
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: New Year's Resolutions
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 02:12:22 pm »

Just reading that list, I need to go lie down and take a nap.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: New Year's Resolutions
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 02:26:04 pm »

Yeah, I don't do these because... I... never follow through on them and...

...looking back on them only depresses me. Yeah.

I'll stop typing a-now.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: New Year's Resolutions
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 07:44:17 pm »

I just keep track of movies I watch and what I eat.  For work, I have even more tasks and lists to keep track of.

I think I'll keep the rest of my private time for relaxing.  No more lists of things I should be doing but can't due to physical collapse.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: New Year's Resolutions
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 05:07:25 am »

More diligence with the exercising, less diligence with the liquor.

I got it backwards last year.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: New Year's Resolutions
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 08:54:30 pm »

I think that was back in September.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: New Year's Resolutions
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 07:55:30 am »

yeah, my plan is to keep up with schoolwork better, try to give a shit, etc. also, start a band.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Re: New Year's Resolutions
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 10:01:26 pm »

1.  Quit Smoking (again) (Currently at 43 hours)
2.  Finish the year with 25 Masterpoints.
3.  End year debt free.  (For once and finally, I think this is doable this year.)
4.  At least exercise some.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: New Year's Resolutions
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 10:07:15 pm »


2.  Finish the year with 25 Masterpoints.


How many do you have now?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Re: New Year's Resolutions
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 10:12:46 pm »

How many do you have now?

After this weekend's tourney, I think I'm sitting at around 6, all of which were earned in '06.  I think I can do better this year.
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: New Year's Resolutions
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 10:19:06 pm »

Best of luck with giving up on this most addictive of vices, Gimpson.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: New Year's Resolutions
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 11:57:08 pm »

4.  At least exercise some.

I like this.  It is eminently reasonable.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: New Year's Resolutions
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 02:21:32 am »

Best of luck with giving up on this most addictive of vices, Gimpson.

Yeah, duplicate bridge can be a bear to quit.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: New Year's Resolutions
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 02:10:39 am »

Speaking of New Years Resolutions, I'm back on the hacker's diet again as mentioned elsewhere. Kellichou sent me an interesting link of a photoessay showing caloric density of food:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-does-200-calories-look-like.htm

Combined with NutritionData's nifty little food ratings, I think that this is a pretty nifty way to remind myself about nutritional value. Some of the pictures are skewed (like the 200 kcal worth of Coca-Cola), but the page is still interesting nonetheless.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up