Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood It's National Johnny Cash Raise Hell Awareness Saturday Night. Go out and Fuck Shit Up in a Way That You Believe In!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Vamos a la Playa  (Read 4171 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Vamos a la Playa
« on: January 02, 2007, 02:22:02 am »

When I was a kid, we went to the Jersey shore for vacation just about every summer.  Sometimes twice in a summer.  My great-grandparents had a place in Wildwood, and my parents actually met at the beach.  We would occasionally visit a different beach (we went to Myrtle Beach, SC a few times), but by and large the Jersey shore is, to me, what the beach is supposed to be like.

Last summer we rented a beachfront house in Sea Isle City, NJ, which we shared with two other families with kids (that worked out OK, but it was probably one family too many).  It was a great house and we had a great time, and I'd be all for going there again this year.  But Mrs. del Vaca isn't quite as in love with the Jersey shore as I am; she wants to try someplace different.  So we've discussed trying out the Outer Banks in North Carolina.

So, who knows anything about the Outer Banks?  I don't need specific places to stay, so much as I'd like to know the character of the various towns.  What's a bar town, what's family-friendly, who has anything like the boardwalk in Wildwood or OCNJ (or OCMD for that matter), what's a commercialism-free quiet beach town, etc.  My in-laws' condo network has places that look promising in Kill Devil Hills and Nags Head; I gather the latter is a more happenin' place.  But I'd welcome any first-hand expertise.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Vamos a la Playa
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 02:52:42 am »

If you come back with one of those white oval OBX bumper stickers I think the board will have to disown you.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Vamos a la Playa
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 03:20:00 am »

I always wondered what those stickers meant.

This is not the question you asked, but why not Delaware? We go there once or twice a year. It's so much closer, yet you can plausibly argue that it is not New Jersey. And you can take the ferry to Cape May for a day if you need a dose of Jersey.

Admitedly I have never been to the beaches in NC or even Virginia. Because I have never felt the urge to drive that far to go to the beach when there are beach towns in Delaware two or three hours away. I mean, it's sand, Atlantic Ocean, fried food and ice cream served by college kids in summer jobs, surrounded by a thousand other people on vacation at the beach, right?  Is it that different anywhere else? I am interested to be educated if I am missing something.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Vamos a la Playa
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 03:31:34 am »

Seconded on the stickers.  Those things are OBnoXious. 

One of my best friends grew up in Kill Devil Hills.  I'll give her a call (I've been meaning to anyway) and ask for her insider expertise, but in the meantime, here's what I know:

The Outer Banks are beautiful, and a lot less touristy than places like VA Beach and Myrtle.  You'll still see your share of tourist traps, but some people actually *live* on the banks so mostly it's quaint and pretty. 

However, you won't find anything like the Jersey boardwalks.  In the South, beach is beach -- sand, surf, sun, and not much else.  Off the beach, though, there's plenty to keep you busy.  In addition to restaurants and such, there's the Wright Brothers museum in Kitty Hawk, the lighthouses, and, of course, the Lost Colony outdoor drama.  You can find all that stuff at http://www.outerbanks.org/.  Also check out the NC Aquarium at Roanoake -- I haven't visited that one but the Fort giraffeer aquarium is really breathtaking. 

The rental properties in Duck are gorgous but my understanding is that it's where the movie stars stay and it's insanely expensive.  I believe Manteo is the area that's most settled by year-rounders, and therefore relatively un-touristy. 

I'll call my friend and get her opinion, and let you know.  I can give you more firsthand info on the Wilmington area if that's an interest; Pedro's family has vacationed at Carolina Beach since my parents-in-law met there ca. 1968.  If you have a specific question for my local girl, let me know and I'll ask when I call tomorrow night. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Vamos a la Playa
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 03:46:57 am »

This is not the question you asked, but why not Delaware? We go there once or twice a year. It's so much closer, yet you can plausibly argue that it is not New Jersey. And you can take the ferry to Cape May for a day if you need a dose of Jersey.

My in-laws' condo-network thingy doesn't have any properties in Delaware.  I've stayed in Bethany and it is nice, and OCMD is right there if you want Boardwalk touristy schlock.

The MIL claims that their condo doo-hickey will yield $300/week in season.  I'll believe it when I see it, but for now that's the plan.  They haven't actually given us the login info to go on the web site and make a reservation, so until them I'm extremely skeptical.

Thanks for the info, JL.  Ask her what's the scoop on Nags Head.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Vamos a la Playa
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 04:03:04 am »

We went to the Outer Banks one summer when I was in high school (I think, may have been Jr. High).  Beautiful place, very laid back.  We enjoyed it, but had to leave a day or two early because a hurricane (David?) was approaching.

OK, just did some googling.  It was Hurricane David and the vacation would have been in August 1979, which would have been the summer after 8th grade
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Vamos a la Playa
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 08:02:41 am »

yeah. my family always went down to SC when we went beaching. Now apparently we don't do that any more? I don't know why. My experiences with NC beaches have all been quite positive though. Very clean and fun.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Vamos a la Playa
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 04:28:47 pm »

My family has been vacationing on the OBX since I can remember - there are blurry Polaroids of me as a toddler eating ice cream in front of some sandy motel, so it's been at least since 1980.

We always stay in Buxton, at the Lighthouse View Motel (NOTE: view of lighthouse is substantially less after preservatory relocation efforts).  My grandfather stayed there two weeks a year until he died a few years ago, but the desk clerks still recognize my name when I call.  The rooms aren't anything special, except for the view you get from a top floor unit. You can rent little cottages if you want a little more space.

If you can go in the mid- or off-season, do it.  You'll thank yourself for avoiding the crowds and the locals won't resent you as much.  And prices can be drastically cheaper than they are in the dead of summer.

The personality of the Outer Banks is, generally, sleepy and low-key.  You'll drive through touristy traps at Kitty Hawk/Kill Devil Hills/Nag's Head, but get south of that and you find yourself crossing your fingers for a place that sells beer.  You'll find small souvenir shops and restaurants a'plenty, but nothing is really heavily commercial down there in the usual "t-shirt shop and chain restaurant" way.  The giraffeing is good when you're in season.  Take a golf club and a flashlight and play Crab Golf on the beach at night.  Sit outside your room and drink while you listen to the waves.

If you want to boogie down on the south end, Ocracoke is probably your best bet.  I don't remember if it's Dare County or the island, but one of them has a prohibition against liquor sales so the bars get very elaborate and creative with their beer selections (Howard's Pub is huge but tasty, and the view from the roof is pretty good). 

 
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Vamos a la Playa
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 06:02:35 pm »

I mean, it's sand, Atlantic Ocean, fried food and ice cream served by college kids in summer jobs, surrounded by a thousand other people on vacation at the beach, right?  Is it that different anywhere else? I am interested to be educated if I am missing something.

Beaches here in the West are apparently substantially different.  With the exception of southern California, mostly they're about wind and fog.  The water is actually colder in the summer than in winter (having to do with oceanographic things like upwelling and longshore currents) and beaches are mostly populated by surfers in wet suits, families on "enrich the kids" outings and Japanese tourists taking pictures of sea lions and masses of storm tossed kelp piles.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Vamos a la Playa
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 09:42:39 pm »

Well yeah, Pacific ocean is totally different.  For one thing you can have tacos instead of french fries.  Although my experience is limited to southern California only, I am not so much regretting this from your description because I prefer tacos to kelp in most applications.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Vamos a la Playa
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 01:03:47 am »

I'm pretty sure the only place kelp trumps tacos is as an ice cream additive.  I was going to say "as a sea otter bed" as well, but then I thought about it from an otter's perspective and realized pretty much any otter would take bedding down in warm, crispy, tangy tacos any day of the week.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Vamos a la Playa
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 01:09:13 am »

You also need kelp to make Japanese soup stock, which is why I don't count it out entirely. But I don't see my dream vacation as lying around the beach boiling up a big pot of dashi.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Vamos a la Playa
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 06:52:37 am »

Quote from: CortJstr
If you come back with one of those white oval OBX bumper stickers I think the board will have to disown you.

...would that be... Playa... hating?

*ducks*
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Vamos a la Playa
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 01:50:49 pm »

Does this thread get Pixies stuck in anybody else's head? Or is it just me?
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Vamos a la Playa
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2007, 02:30:21 pm »

...would that be... Playa... hating?

*ducks*

Heh...that was terrible. You get a can for that.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up