Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Is eaten food technically rotting inside you? It's pretty warm in there. Technically, we all not only live in, but *are* "the danger zone."

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Random comic button added  (Read 6822 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Random comic button added
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2007, 04:01:42 am »

I've always had nightmares, pretty frequently, as far back as I can visualize. Four years old?

Three or four nights a week, I did and do remember them, anyway. My girlfriend tells me I wake up screaming pretty much every other night. When I was a little kid, it was usually dying by atomic annihilation. Why the bombs were falling on Little Falls, NY pop 4500 at the edge of the Adirondack Mountains... well... I guess I was a kid and kids don't think that part through.

I was able to read at an early high school level at five but... just because I understood the sentences and words and such part by part, didn't mean I had the emotional maturity or worldliness to fully comprehend the concepts I was reading in the New York Times to try and prove I was as smart as the adults. I don't think a little kid was supposed to be doing that and it may have screwed me up.

As I got older, they became mainly about getting chased briefly by a man with a shotgun and then being shot at short range in the head and... waking up screaming. The click, the flash of powder and... the screaming.

Occasionally, the nightmare would be that I was on one of those enclosed waterslides that's a pipe? And... when I get to the bottom, it's plugged up and... the water keeps filling up and the people keep coming and crushing me more and more and... eventually, I drown, pinned down by fifteen or twenty people.

Occasionally, I'd be forcibly absorbed into a cybernetic collective consciousness such as the Borg or the Phalnax or so on.

But usually the gun thing. Still happens. A little less frequently, lately.

This isn't to say that I don't have... non-nightmares, though. I can't say dreams, exactly, because dream suggests a nearcomplete positivity at least from time to time. Most of my non-nightmare dreams I'm... wandering through landscapes, semi-interacting with the world, semi-not.

I'll win a scratch-ticket lottery every few weeks in my dreams and... realize it's a dream and I'm not actually extricated from my worries by wealth and... I'll just wake up depressed. My childhood pets will show up a lot... except each of them cloned ten or fifteen times over. Just an army of my childhood pets.

When things completely outrageous like that happen, my dad shows up in my dream and tells me that these things are impossible, so I must be dreaming and... so I wake up, kinda depressed at the thought that magic cannot actually happen.

But the usual setting for my non-nightmares is... this conglomeration of the malls I would go to as a child, the malls of... Utica and... Syracuse and Albany. All kind of layered over each other, smushed together. And I just wander around in the places I did as a child, sort of unnoticed by the shoppers and the workers, like I'm the ghost instead of them...

Over my lifetime, the mall has kept changing slowly. Deteriorating. The good stores are replaced by... Dollar Stores or... flea markets or... nothing at all. The second floor, the middle has actually crumbled out and you have to use little catwalks and boards to get from store to store to... not fall through into a pretzel stand or the children's play area with all the gumball machines.

And I still dream it sometimes. Wandering through the second-rate replacements of the stores and halls I walked as a child, to get a comic book or a Smashing Pumpkins album, for hours a night unnoticed by the spirits and... then I wake up. Though the gun nightmare is the more prevalent.

Yeah, I don't enjoy sleeping much, I guess.

...I wrote a lot more than I intended to.

My point is... not remembering your dreams may not have been the curse you thought it was. If I remembered them less, I'd probably be able to fall asleep before two in the morning without taking a double-dose of diphenhydramine.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Random comic button added
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2007, 04:13:10 am »

Dreams are weird. I try to promptly forget them as I get up each morning, because they're usually really bad. Getting into the shower first thing helps a lot.

Anyway, I'm drinking a crispy Amstel right now, wearing one of my favorite perfumes, and listening to a new CD. I would go out, but I just spent a shit ton of money on stuff I don't need, so I'm staying at home. The random button on Mr. Onstad's page will serve me well.

I'm still sad about the breakup. I mean, goddammit.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Random comic button added
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2007, 04:16:13 am »

Dreams are weird. I try to promptly forget them as I get up each morning, because they're usually really bad. Getting into the shower first thing helps a lot.

http://www.xkcd.com/c203.html
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Random comic button added
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2007, 05:01:08 am »

I generally do not remember my dreams.  I don't know why this is.  Perhaps it's alcohol related.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Random comic button added
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2007, 05:49:28 am »

Quote from: linnea
I'm still sad about the breakup. I mean, goddammit.

Well, if you need to continue to vent more toward well-meaning and sympathetic near-strangers, here we are. I dunno if that'd help you or not, it has helped me in similar situations. Remember, the more you mention about the situation and the fellow, the more we can insult him to your delight. Even creative types such as we, there's only so much to work with.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Random comic button added
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2007, 05:58:23 am »

Well, if you need to continue to vent more toward well-meaning and sympathetic near-strangers, here we are. I dunno if that'd help you or not, it has helped me in similar situations. Remember, the more you mention about the situation and the fellow, the more we can insult him to your delight. Even creative types such as we, there's only so much to work with.

I wish that this would all go away, but giving you guys his name and place of employ isn't going to do me any favors. He's probably not smart enough to get all the subtleties of any ammo you guys have to throw at him. He's an asshole and he can go ahead and find another fool. Meanwhile I will continue my death march to becoming the crazy cat lady, and will remain a lonely spinster who spends most of her time alone in a godforsaken remote Alaskan town.

EDIT*** w00t, 666 posts.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Random comic button added
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2007, 06:12:19 am »

Meanwhile I will continue my death march to becoming the crazy cat lady, and will remain a lonely spinster who spends most of her time alone in a godforsaken remote Alaskan town.


Now you just stop that.  That's just silly talk. 

No one has to be isolated.  Only you can choose to be a hermit.  Even in a godforsaken remote Alaskan town, I'm certain there are plenty of people for you to care about, interact with and love.  And if there aren't, get on a fuck*ng plane and go where the people you love are.

You are good people.  You..are..rad.  This is a fact no matter what your relationship status is.  So it didn't work out with this particular dude.  You are still a cool chick.  That is the essence of you and nothing can change it.  His loss.  Rock on with your bad self.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Random comic button added
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2007, 07:12:35 am »

Yea, my dreams are now about like me sitting somewhere around people who I think I know (like from real life), then I always wake up thinking I had learned something about them or even just who they are, but I can't.  It is not displeasant, but it is pretty strange.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Random comic button added
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2007, 01:25:21 pm »

lfm: that sounds really familiar. hm.
also: I, too, have dreams about weird conglomerated buildings. Not so much anymore, though.

and that waterslide thing is terrifying.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Fooker

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -18
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 193
  • domesticated troll
    • View Profile
Re: Random comic button added
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2007, 07:38:25 pm »

There are ladies who like achewood?
Logged
NONSENSICAL STATEMENT INVOLVING PLANKTON

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Random comic button added
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2007, 07:56:28 pm »

There are ladies who like achewood?

LL Cool A
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Random comic button added
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2007, 09:37:17 pm »

I often have a dream where I discover a door in my home that I never noticed before only to discover a giant gymnasium with a large raised proscenium stage and then I think "Wow I never noticed I owned a theatre in my own home! Now I can do plays forever!"  I'm always alone in these dreams, but it's usually a really happy dream for me.  Then this week, I dreamt of the discovery of the same gym/theatre, only the whole space was in darkness except for a red couch in the middle of the gym that had a single spotlight on it.  For some reason this induced me to explore the stage in nearly complete darkness, from which appeared an angry midget who wanted to kill and cannibalize me.  I ran from the stage, outside into the cold winter night of my SO's small home town with out a coat.  The streets empty, the ice fog dense, persued by the midget destine to be murdered or die of exposure as I took off into the barren prairie ahead.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Random comic button added
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2007, 10:20:03 pm »

Wednesday I dreamed that I was in a slightly-modified version of my parents' old house, waking up and getting ready for work.  I was late but hurrying.

As it turns out, dreaming about getting up and going to work isn't as effective as actually getting up.  I managed to drag myself out of bed about 10 minutes before I was due at work.

In general my dreams take place in a few locations.  They're always recognizeable as places from my life, but generally larger and full of empty rooms.  What's weird is I've never had a dream that took place in one of my apartments, even though I've lived in them for most of the last ten years.  I guess they just aren't dramatic enough.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Random comic button added
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2007, 10:43:41 pm »

I don't sleep I dream.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Random comic button added
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2007, 11:13:38 pm »

I don't sleep I dream.

I'd settle for a cup of coffee but you know what I really mean.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up