...While the remarks I have in mind are more like:
GLASS ONION
(Lennon/McCartney)
JOHN 1980: "That's me, just doing a throwaway song, a la 'Walrus' a la everything I've ever written. I threw in the line 'The walrus was Paul' just to confuse everybody a bit more. It could've been the fox terrier is Paul, you know.
Or:
JOHN 1980: "'Birthday' was written in the studio. Just made up on the spot. I think Paul wanted to write a song like 'Happy Birthday Baby,' the old fifties hit. But it was sort of made up in the studio. It was a piece of garbage."
PAUL circa-1994: "We thought, 'Why not make something up?' So we got a riff going and arranged it around this riff. So that is 50-50 John and me, made up on the spot and recorded all in the same evening."
Heh. This is so typical. Remember that their record label had issued a memo prohibiting any - any - material recorded by The Beatles to ever be erased, which bespeaks for the mindset of the times: They were indeed more popular than Jesus on a graham cracker, and I can only imagine how tempting it must have been when they just didn't give as much as a fuck as they used to do in the past, having a humongous batch of unfinished, substandard material that they knew people still would guzzle down like manah from the heavens.
And:
CRY BABY CRY
(Lennon/McCartney)
JOHN 1980: "A piece of rubbish."
I really don't think he means the recording process here. And etc.