Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Chris waited all day for the Comcast repair guy, and he never showed up. What is he supposed to do with this cream pie?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Snopes.com  (Read 4951 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Snopes.com
« on: January 08, 2007, 01:48:39 am »

It was poetic, really. I was reading the latest hoaxes on Snopes.com and my mom sent me an email with the "new" Mercedes that is driven by a joystick.  Kellichou is the one in my family who typically hits the "Reply To All" button with a link to the story, whether it's true or false.

I sat back and waited, and sure enough Kelli came through with the Snopes link. :D
 
Do any of you guys have problems with relatives and friends sending stupid forwards? Thank Heavens for gmail, because I just set up filters to try and preemptively shove the forwarded crap into the rubbish before I ever have to see it.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Snopes.com
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 02:22:30 am »

Do not lose hope.  After many incidents of replying to my mom's fowarded emails with links to Snopes, imagine my satisfaction the day she instead sent me an email saying "what's that site you always send me links to?"
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Snopes.com
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 02:38:21 am »

Yeah, I used to get those email forwards from my family too and now they look it up on Snopes before forwarding it.   Sometimes the status is True so they'll forward it anyway along with the Snopes link for more info.

My family's pretty well educated, so we're all about Education for everyone on our email lists.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Snopes.com
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 02:54:57 am »

Yeah, I used to get those email forwards from my family too and now they look it up on Snopes before forwarding it.   Sometimes the status is True so they'll forward it anyway along with the Snopes link for more info.

My family's pretty well educated, so we're all about Education for everyone on our email lists.

Man... unlike omba's mom, my folks NEVER seem to catch on. I would weep with joy if they paused before hitting the FWD button and actually checked Snopes first.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Snopes.com
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 03:51:27 am »

my little sister constantly sends me this crap.

also, she has figured out that GMail has this bizarre "chat" feature, and sends me insipid messages constantly. I do not understand why. I am not usually this easily annoyed.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Snopes.com
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 03:53:30 am »

Sometimes I'll get "Could this be true?" questions with a forward from my family.  They know there's someplace they could look - but they're lazy that way.  They know I can't resist debunking stuff.  My stepmother is forever forwarding prayer chains and "warn everyone you know!" stuff.  Finally, I have a coworker who sends me powerpoint presentations of puppies, rainbows, cherubs and other assorted kitsch.  I usually dump those unopened as they seem like good candidates for virus vehicles.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Snopes.com
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 12:54:26 pm »

Actually I don't mind people forwarding this kind of stuff so much, since at least you feel like you've done some good sending back the links to Snopes.  But there seems to be nothing I can do about the ones who forward every single joke or link to UTube that's going around the net.  I don't click on the UTube links but since 1 out of 10 of the jokes are good, I can't help reading them and being annoyed 9 out of 10 times.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: Snopes.com
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 02:45:19 pm »

My mom is the kind of person who will forward pictures of adorable kittens or something and add her own two cents about why she's sending it, but she's also the kind of person who changes her default font and type size so I get "Thinking of you ~ This was TOO SPECIAL to keep to myself!!1!" in 24-point Comic Sans.

Thanks, mom.  I know you mean well.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Snopes.com
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 02:56:27 pm »

My mom is the kind of person who will forward pictures of adorable kittens or something and add her own two cents about why she's sending it, but she's also the kind of person who changes her default font and type size so I get "Thinking of you ~ This was TOO SPECIAL to keep to myself!!1!" in 24-point Comic Sans.

Thanks, mom.  I know you mean well.

HEH! Oh man, it's funny 'cos it's TRUE. The !1! is a nice touch.

I hate it when people have to post or write email in a "special" font, and the huge fonts are even more irritating. I had to use another woman's computer at work the other day, and she had set Internet Explorer to use some hideous, hard-to-read font as its default. I was trying to find information on NOAA's page and was getting all pissed ("WHY THE FUCK DID THEY USE THIS FONT JESUS") until I realized that Miss Retarded had specially set her computer to use that font. 'Twas not the government's fault at all!  Special.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Snopes.com
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 03:43:34 pm »

About two years ago my Personel Dept sent out that e-mail about how if you reduced the world to a village of a 100 then the 1 American would own the only computer and blah blah blah. I sent back the Snopes link but never got a reply.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Snopes.com
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 06:38:48 pm »

wait, so... Cort-- that was not real? Damn. Where on Snopes is it? I looked at a bunch of the pages and couldn't find it. If you could just tell me which section it's in, I can find it. You know.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Snopes.com
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 06:56:21 pm »

Search for "village of 100" and it's the first hit.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Snopes.com
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 07:02:19 pm »

It was poetic, really. I was reading the latest hoaxes on Snopes.com and my mom sent me an email with the "new" Mercedes that is driven by a joystick.  Kellichou is the one in my family who typically hits the "Reply To All" button with a link to the story, whether it's true or false.

I sat back and waited, and sure enough Kelli came through with the Snopes link. :D

That's me, too, and as a result some people in my extended family have stopped including me on their mass e-mails.

It was really entertaining when I had my domain (bigfool.com) set up to forward ALL mail sent to the domain to my inbox, regardless of what was in front of the @ sign.  Since bigfool is only one letter different than bigfoot, and bigfoot.com is a major e-mail forwarding service, I got a lot a lot a lot of mail that wasn't intended for me.  If there was a particularly egregious mass rant (e.g. "Harry Potter promotes devil worship, this must be stopped!" which was sent in all seriousness), I'd be all Reply Allin' even though I didn't know anyone involved.  This usually yielded "Who the hell are you?  Quit sending me this crap!"  Good times.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

kellichou

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 90
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 87
    • View Profile
Re: Snopes.com
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2007, 02:33:22 am »

It was poetic, really. I was reading the latest hoaxes on Snopes.com and my mom sent me an email with the "new" Mercedes that is driven by a joystick.  Kellichou is the one in my family who typically hits the "Reply To All" button with a link to the story, whether it's true or false.

I sat back and waited, and sure enough Kelli came through with the Snopes link. :D

Hee!  A tiny can for you!  To those of you who allege can nepotism, you're damn right.  It's hard, being the email forward party whip, but someone's gotta let everybody know it's a hoax, right? 
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Snopes.com
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2007, 05:30:33 am »

Hee!  A tiny can for you!  To those of you who allege can nepotism, you're damn right.  It's hard, being the email forward party whip, but someone's gotta let everybody know it's a hoax, right? 

Heh! See why I love her, folks? She's effing rad, that's why. Keeping the retarded email in check. Wombie, I love you. Being a twin ROCKS.
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up