Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Would The Pet Shop Boys be nice to have over for Thanksgiving, or would they be a pain in the ass? It's really hard to tell.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Snopes.com  (Read 4939 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Snopes.com
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 06:02:00 am »

I only previously knew the "village of 100" story in the context of a comic book (Grant Morrison's "The Manhattan Guardian" #3) wherein an educational park is made along this theme with 100 *****s simulating these various demographics. The *****s then go berserk Westworld-style. I think that is a much improved version of the story.
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Snopes.com
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 09:00:09 am »

I don't know why this is, but I think secretaries feed off of this stuff.  They grow and become stronger with every FW: in the subject line.

It is like their Wonderbread.  Bland and unpalatable to anyone but them, it grants power in ways no human can imagine.

And WeatherBug is where this army of the damned gets their orders.



Wow, I'm glad I don't work for the place where I used to fix secretaries' computers any more.  I am still one heartfelt-but-completely-awful 9/11 poem + eagle crying + hang in there! cat away from beating someone to death with their own Precious Moments figurine, seriously.  For a time at this place I ran the spam filter.  I ended up blocking the phrase "forward this to everyone you care about," but they made me take it out.  I should've fought for it.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Snopes.com
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2007, 07:19:06 pm »

I hate stuff like that on such a deep level. Probably for the same reason that I hate cheering en-masse for team sports, that thing where everyone puts their hands in the middle...
I don't know why, they just all make me uncomfortable in the same way. Expressions of emotion en-masse, I suppose. I am totally into expressing emotions, but in any of those situations I get all quiet and want to run away.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Snopes.com
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2007, 01:55:37 am »

that thing where everyone puts their hands in the middle...

You hate the Hokey Pokey?  What the HELL, dude?
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Snopes.com
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2007, 02:16:10 am »

no, no, the thing where you put your hands in the middle and say "gooooo HAWKS!"
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Alternate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 141
  • the dinosaurs died for your sins
    • View Profile
Re: Snopes.com
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2007, 10:20:31 am »

I don't like that hands-in-the-middle thing, either, because it's an expression of emotion on command.  It's like in King Lear when the king asks his daughter to secure her inheritance by waxing poetic about her love for him, and she does love him but refuses to say so, because she knows that if she says it in that context it will seem like an obligation and won't seem genuine.  Similarly, when everybody puts their hands in the middle to say "goooo HAWKS" you know no one is going to go, "Nah, sorry, I'm actually not that crazy about the Hawks," even if it's true, they're all just going to play along.  So if I dislike the Hawks I'll be perturbed by the pressure to lie, and if I actually do like them then I'll be creeped out by the impossibility of distinguishing myself from the liars. 

Oh, and Re: your signature:  I like how you are weirded out that your girlfriend wants to give you a shirt.  This is how I picture your situation going down. 
Logged
Science fun fact:  Did you know that sharks are the awesomest of all animals?

innes

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 42
  • thanks awfully
    • View Profile
Re: Snopes.com
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2007, 10:31:30 am »

Whenever Ive been to a football (sacker) match I've ended up quietly and vehemently supporting the opposition.
It must be something to do with being stuck in the middle of a crowd of biased, shouty arseholes.
Logged

Alternate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 141
  • the dinosaurs died for your sins
    • View Profile
Re: Snopes.com
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2007, 10:50:58 am »

On glurgy chain letters:  In high school I was briefly on an email list to allow students from a certain theater program to keep in touch.  I was disappointed to see that almost all of the emails on this list were forwarded rhymes, cheesy stories, and ASCII pictures of flowers, with the requisite warnings to pass this joy on to all my friends or face an agonizing death.  I put up with this for a few months, then decided to do something about it.  I sent a chain letter to the list, the only one I've ever sent.  Its subject line was "The chain letter to end all chain letters," and its content explained that anyone who forwarded it would thereafter be exempt from all penalties threatened by subsequent chain letters, and would automatically receive their promised rewards, without forwarding any of them.  It was both a satire of chain letters in general, and a mechanism to discourage superstitious/compulsive people from forwarding future glurge that came their way.  (Unfortunately it didn't work for the friend who originally sent it to me -- she started sending me chain letters again a week or two later.)  Technically it was a chain letter itself, but I felt the time had come to fight fire with fire. 

As soon as I'd sent it, however, a boy responded to the list angrily.  He was angry because he hated chain letters, and I had sent one.  He ranted for a while, and then ultimately implored the people of the list not to send any more chain letters.  The stream of forwarded stories and poems continued unabated, and he never commented on the subject again.  My conclusion:  Some people believe that emails which are not labelled "chain letter" are not chain letters, and so should be tolerated, while emails which are labelled "chain letter" are chain letters of the worst kind, and should outrage us all.  I've also noticed that many people think "pyramid scheme" means "email with the subject line 'this is a pyramid scheme'".  It's pretty lame. 
Logged
Science fun fact:  Did you know that sharks are the awesomest of all animals?

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Snopes.com
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2007, 04:09:28 pm »

I got that chain letter to end all chain letters. THANK YOU EVER SO MUCH. Man, was I happy at that one. I just forwarded it to everybody and haven't done so with any email since.

Nobody else seemed to understand that you weren't just allowed to stop forwarding chain letters, you were also requested to.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 06:33:24 pm by Choopernickel »
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Snopes.com
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2007, 05:55:22 pm »

yeah, um, I get upset in any circumstance where everyone is expressing the same emotion, or I am expected to express a certain emotion.
Good examples:
-someone has just broken up with her boy, and we are all supposed to agree that he was a bad guy
-supporting sports teams
-group prayer
-saying "thank you" if someone else has just said it. This one gets me in trouble. But I don't want them to think I only thought of it because of the first person!
-saying "I love you" when someone has just given me something/done a favor.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Snopes.com
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2007, 06:11:47 pm »

I don't think I've every said "happy [occasion]" for this reason. Well, maybe I've said it after getting a look from my mom or something but my heart wasn't in it.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Snopes.com
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2007, 01:46:13 am »

An AA at a place I once worked printed out the email about the Ms. Fields cookie recipe and gave it to everyone there. I showed her the place it was specifically covered in Snopes - no dice. I brought in the Jan Brunvand book in which it was discussed - nothing. There are none so blind as those who will not see.

So I baked up a batch and put rat posion in 'em. That'll learn her.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Snopes.com
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2007, 01:59:51 am »

An AA at a place I once worked printed out the email about the Ms. Fields cookie recipe and gave it to everyone there. I showed her the place it was specifically covered in Snopes - no dice. I brought in the Jan Brunvand book in which it was discussed - nothing. There are none so blind as those who will not see.

So I baked up a batch and put rat posion in 'em. That'll learn her.

I like the Neiman-Marcus cookie story and the AmEx Black story because they made the company go, "well shit, if people already think this is true then why the hell aren't we actually doing it?"
Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up