Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I am composing a tone poem about eagles, lawnmowers, and Ted Nugent. It is composed only of the sounds of those things.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.  (Read 5989 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 09:44:23 pm »

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person on the planet that doesn't have a cellphone. 

My niece doesn't either.  She's washed two of the suckers in the laundry and I won't spring for a third.  Somehow this makes me evil incarnate.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 09:57:12 pm »

The Big Express.  Certainly a nice choice.
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007, 10:01:58 pm »

The Big Express.  Certainly a nice choice.

The XTC album?
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 12:51:54 am »

Judy-- but, I mean, considering Britain is rather small, wouldn't you only need 3 or 4 masts? that seems a good number.

I believe an Experiment was carried out to determine how many masts are needed.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2007, 01:54:50 am »

The XTC album?

Yes, sorry, first time I've seen your sig.
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2007, 07:45:06 am »

Yes, sorry, first time I've seen your sig.

While it does not live up to the excellence of Black Sea, the Big Express remains as one of XTC's most overlooked albums. Plus, All You Pretty Girls is an awesome song.

Are you a fan, Smick? I thought I was the only one!
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

innes

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 42
  • thanks awfully
    • View Profile
Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2007, 11:06:00 am »

...considering Britain is rather small, wouldn't you only need 3 or 4 masts? that seems a good number.

On the face of it that's right, but our traditional three-foot thick yak-excrement-and-gravel hut walls don't let mobile-phone signals through very well.
Logged

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2007, 03:31:08 pm »


Are you a fan, Smick? I thought I was the only one!

They've got so many albums, it's kind of hard to be a completionist with them, but I've got The Big Express, I lost Oranges and Lemons in High School, Skylarking, and Nonsuch.

Normally I'd say yes, since I have 4 of their albums, I'd be a fan, but they have so many more I feel like I've only scratched the surface.
Logged

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2007, 04:01:07 pm »

They've got so many albums, it's kind of hard to be a completionist with them, but I've got The Big Express, I lost Oranges and Lemons in High School, Skylarking, and Nonsuch.

Normally I'd say yes, since I have 4 of their albums, I'd be a fan, but they have so many more I feel like I've only scratched the surface.

Oooooh. Ooooooh. You're missing out super badly. While I love all four albums you've mentioned, I think the Drums & Wires/Black Sea/English Settlement period represents their best work, especially in the case of Black Sea. However, it does depend; the albums I've just mentioned are before they stopped touring, and as such are more akin to rock and punk than the lush pop of Skylarking onwards.

Seriously, I hate to gush but they are easily one of my favourite bands. Like you say, they have many albums, but EVERY SINGLE ONE is fuck*ng worth it. Probably not available in all good record stores, but give it a shot. You won't regret it.

Also, have a can for some reason.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2007, 07:21:47 pm »

Well, I first ran into them as a young child in the early days of MTV, watching "Mayor of Simpleton".  Then later on when I did the college radio thing the "Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead" came out, and I started picking up albums.

I'll most certainly check out their earlier stuff.   (Also, I now have to pick up Oranges and Lemons again, since I'm having a hankering for Mayor of Simpleton, Mr. Skeleton, and Garden of Earthly Delights)

Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: iPhone-- coolest thing I have ever seen. ever.
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2007, 09:31:40 am »

For my money Apple TV seems like the thing I would buy.  If that came in 200 GB and they made a nano the exact same as it is with like 20 gb and a phone built in I would totally be an apple fanboy in seconds.  I would give 600$ for those two combined.  I have to think that within 2 or 3 years I will be able to do that.

Seriously, 200 gigs would make that worth it.  As it is, you have what is on your computer and 40gb.  Well, I have an old laptop, so that means 80gb total.  I will probably buy a new laptop within a year, but as I have an external harddrive, it is not really important to me how much space there is.  I like music a whole lot.  I like about 5 tv shows that I have downloaded.  I have about 6 movies that I like (4 of which are based on music).  This would hold all of that, plus about 10 gigs for later, which would be about the best thing ever to go with an ipod nano.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 09:38:24 am by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up