Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do you love saying "Canadian bacon"?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Pan's Labyrinth  (Read 6958 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Pan's Labyrinth
« on: January 11, 2007, 10:57:29 am »

Was real good.  Basically-must-see for any surrealism enthusiast.

Subtitled, and contains some intense graphic violence.  May be pretty difficult to find a theater showing it.  Obligatory joints en route/in parking lot.
Logged
ACHIEVE

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Pan's Labyrinth
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 06:05:23 pm »

Has been described as the Citizen Kane of fantasist cinema, as well as film of the year, or decade.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Pan's Labyrinth
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 06:16:30 pm »

it's showing down the street from my house, but it doesn't start showing until a week after I get back to St Louis.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Pan's Labyrinth
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 08:21:37 pm »

I'm having to hold out for the DVD. What with living six billion miles from anywhere that will show it before then, if at all. Our local cinema closed down this year, after years of not being visited by anybody with a nose. And I feel the theatre will not show it on account of trying to appear quite the cineaste's establishment, but constantly missing the high brow choice. It's a shitty screen anyway, with end of the run prints, and  I have a decent screen.

I need to live closer to civilisation. Sometimes it occurs to dawn on me.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Pan's Labyrinth
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 10:41:23 pm »

A person I was with said it doesn't reach The Departed for the best of the year, but I haven't seen that yet.
Logged
ACHIEVE

slink

  • Moderator
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Pan's Labyrinth
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 09:29:36 am »

A person I was with said it doesn't reach The Departed for the best of the year, but I haven't seen that yet.

Another one I'm yet to see too, but again, looking forward to.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Pan's Labyrinth
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 08:07:36 pm »

can anyone confirm: it is scary or just violent? i can deal with suspense... as long as it isn't dudes jumping out from behind stuff and stabbing people/grabbing people/etc.

I am maybe seeing it tonight.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Pan's Labyrinth
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 08:14:46 pm »

When I first read the title of this thread, I thought it was Pat's Labyrinth.

I effing hate violent films Yuck. I also don't like scary or suspenseful. I'm a fan of drama and black humor pieces like the Royal Tenenbaums.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Pan's Labyrinth
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 08:18:22 pm »

The title would have me sitting in the theater, the whole time wondering:

"So, when is this film actually going to be about David Bowie's package?"
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Pan's Labyrinth
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 08:38:51 pm »

Blood Diamond was so freaking good. It managed to make me cry at the sheer shittiness of the situation. Which, I mean, normally I don't cry about "oh man, the world sucks sometimes, that is horrible." Normally I cry about "the little old man has no one to love him, except his dog" or "they decided not to move to New York after all! They'll stay in St Louis forever!" or, even, "Fry made all the stars blow up to spell a Love Note, but she did not see it."
now I can add "goddamn. Africa is so beautiful."

but yeah, I am gonna Man Up and see it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Pan's Labyrinth
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2007, 09:18:32 pm »

I'm about to go see Pan's Labyrinth. DAMN does it look beautiful. I'll post about it later, if I remember.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Pan's Labyrinth
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2007, 09:41:13 pm »

Well, nah, it ain't scary.  It is a bit graphic, but in words I may be overemphasizing the violence.  Let me put it this way, it's got two realities:  fairy tale world and real world guerilla warfare.  Just a little bit of harmless war, ya know?  Strong R rating style, baby, just the way I like it.  BOOYAH.

Ya know?  Movies is movies.  There's more to be scared of in a chicken nugget.
Logged
ACHIEVE

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Pan's Labyrinth
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2007, 11:32:13 pm »

When I first read the title of this thread, I thought it was Pat's Labyrinth.


Now there's a movie I would pay good money to see.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: Pan's Labyrinth
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2007, 12:56:54 am »

Now there's a movie I would pay good money to see.

Pat's Labyrinth would no doubt involve liberal usage of the TrageDie.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Pan's Labyrinth
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2007, 02:38:00 am »

Very pretty, not as good as the hype. 3.5/5

I was expecting a great story, layers of plot and symbolism, and all that jazz that kicks an okay movie into the realm of greatitude. Not so much.

Very pretty, though. At some times visually disturbing.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up