Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that there is no way to put a picture of a pug in the News Box?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Doon doon doon diggy doon doon  (Read 1730 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Doon doon doon diggy doon doon
« on: January 12, 2007, 11:01:24 pm »

So, I was watching this this afternoon, and wondering what the genesis was of the expression "in it to win it" (surely not this timeless ode). Wikipedia offers no help. Urban Dictionary doesn't even get close. Amusingly, the second hit right now on google is this, which delights my senses. But this is neither here nor there.

It occurred to me that it might be helpful to have somewhere to go to find out the origins of various (especially . . . urban) expressions. Does anyone out there have any particular resource they enjoy using for things like this?

Also, as an aside, would it be pleasing to have a list of reference pages that people use? I know I depend heavily on allmusic for things of a musical bent, and lean on IMDB too, but I'm guessing everyone here is dialled in to those. Neither here nor there, a recent workout spent watching Heavy Metal got me curious about the band Trust. Did you know this guy was in Trust and Iron Maiden both? So was this guy! Sorry, got sidetracked . . . but Trust might be the most underrated French heavy metal band of all time!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: Doon doon doon diggy doon doon
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 03:56:46 pm »

. . . but Trust might be the most underrated French heavy metal band of all time!

I...I...didn't know this sentance was possible. It took a while for it to sink in.
Logged
We must repeat!

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Doon doon doon diggy doon doon
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 10:30:12 pm »

Trust might be the most underrated French heavy metal band of all time!

I...I...didn't know this sentance was possible. It took a while for it to sink in.

The really cool thing is that they are also the most overrated French heavy metal band of all time.

Too obvious?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Doon doon doon diggy doon doon
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 07:05:16 pm »

France has bands?

I thought it was... like... everyone either listened to dirty old men playing concertinas or Kraftwerk beamed in from Berlin on shortwave propaganda channels.

The sole exception being the band "Air" which... though I like them a good bit... do sound a bit like dirty old men covering Kraftwerk songs on concertinas.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Doon doon doon diggy doon doon
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 03:33:24 pm »

France has bands?

Erm... Mano Negra? Not to mention L'Attirail, and a significant array of other really good French bands cropping up at the moment. A lot of good blues happening there of late for instance.
I admit, until fairly recently I would have tended to agree with you, but Mano Negra were around years ago, and ought never be overlooked!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

Pages: [1]   Go Up