Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood You are on the Night Train. Five Hours have passed. Axl Rose is in the gym car. It's not what you expected.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Country/Country Rock?  (Read 7824 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Country/Country Rock?
« on: January 13, 2007, 06:16:44 am »

So. I have been, for about half a year, obsessed with the live version of "Burning House of Love" on Beyond and Back (the X Anthology). This is a problem, as I do not know anything else with this kind of rock-ish twangy country guitar playing. Do you have any suggestions?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 07:02:54 am »

I'm not familiar with that, but I'm a huge fan of alternative/rock/country...

Check out the alt-country stream on Last.fm. My favorite bands that I think you'll like are:
  • Son Volt, my absolute favorite band ever. (the lead singer for this band, Jay Farrar, used to be in a band called Uncle Tupelo with Jeff Tweedy from Wilco)

If you have time to check out others...
  • Uncle Tupelo
  • Songs:Ohia (Jason Molina)
  • Billy Bragg & Wilco - Mermaid Avenue (they covered songs written by Woody Guthrie, and the Mermaid Ave. albums are just unfuck*ngbelievable)
  • Robert Earl Keen
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 07:12:47 am »

I'm not familiar with that, but I'm a huge fan of alternative/rock/country...

Yeah, Son Volt is amazing, especially Trace.  Also, you should get the Uncle Tupelo Anthology.  Then, I recomend the Flatlanders, they are definately my favorite alt country band (more stoned country maybe, before "Alt-Country" was around).  You should get Songs: Ohia and Bonnie Prince Billie for sure, although I don't know how country they are.  I would argue folk, but I would also say they are good.  If you like the Modern Lovers (and you definately should) Jonathan Richman has an album called Jonathan goes country, which is good.  Also, The National is a pretty good kind of new band. 

Also, last, but certainly not least, Big Star is an amazing band. They are who I would consider the start of Alt-rock0country, and personal heroes of Paul Westerberg.  You probably already new that though.  Oh yeah, Wilco- Summerteeth and Being There.  Also again, the Ween country record is amazing.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 07:52:28 pm »

Yes, start with Wilco as your gateway drug and work backwards into their more-country-ish early work and side projects... you'll eventually discover how much country you can take in your rock and roll.

I love later career Wilco, possibly in my top ten bands, but I've discovered... I can't take very much country music. Wilco's first album, AM, is just too cornpone for this dude.

The borderline album in that mini-genre for me is Mermaid Avenue Volume One. Some of that album is awesome ("One By One" should be played at all weddings) and some of it is slightly grating deedle-deedle music.

Once you get through there, you should know how much you can take and go from there.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 08:24:16 pm »

yeah, one of my best friends (my best friend in St Louis) loves Wilco with a passion. So. I have heard them.

I downloaded (ie: Bought, Legally) some Son Volt and Uncle Tupelo.

... also Hank Williams, Merle Travis, Chet Atkins, Buck Owens.

also, Apparently some of The Court & Spark's stuff is pretty country-ish. Which I didn't remember.

... which reminds me of Carla Bozulich. Not country by any means, but GOOD LORD LISTEN TO HOW INTENSE THIS WOMAN'S VOICE IS.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 07:30:36 am »

Check out Marty Robbins.  Also Asleep at the Wheel.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 11:02:25 am »

Yes, Asleep at the Wheel.  I think I saw them at the Woody Guthrie Festival in Okemah, OK.  It also could have been ACL, or maybe even both.  Very good band.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 01:01:55 am »

Awesome thread. I love hearing about other alt-country bands that I should check out.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 04:34:31 am »

This is kind of obvious so I'm a little hesitant to suggest it, but you have checked out the Dead and The Band, right?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 04:39:49 am »

Yes, start with Wilco as your gateway drug and work backwards into their more-country-ish early work and side projects... you'll eventually discover how much country you can take in your rock and roll.

I love later career Wilco, possibly in my top ten bands, but I've discovered... I can't take very much country music. Wilco's first album, AM, is just too cornpone for this dude.

The borderline album in that mini-genre for me is Mermaid Avenue Volume One. Some of that album is awesome ("One By One" should be played at all weddings) and some of it is slightly grating deedle-deedle music.

Once you get through there, you should know how much you can take and go from there.
AM's problem isn't that it's too country. It just isn't that good. One By One was played at my wedding.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 05:12:20 am »

Aug-- I have checked out neither of those. I have a bunch of the dead on my computer, though.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 05:13:27 am »

Aug-- I have checked out neither of those. I have a bunch of the dead on my computer, though.

sigh
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 05:22:21 am »

American Beauty, Anthem of the Sun, The Grateful Dead, Workingman's Dead

are those good places to start?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 05:35:54 am »

From a Country Rock perspective, Workingman's Dead.  Keep in mind that the Dead are far (faaaaaar) better live than in the studio.  The commercial album I always recommend as an introduction is Europe '72.  Reckoning is also great -- two or three nights of acoustic shows.  If you're into bluegrass at all you should check out "Old and In the Way"  (band name and eponymous album) -- with Jerry Garcia, David Grisman and Vassar Clemens it's hard to go wrong.

As far as The Band goes, it's hard to go wrong.  "The Band" is one of my top five albums (maybe #1).  Music from the Big Pink and The Last Waltz are also fuck*ng great.  The Last Waltz is also the best concert movie evar.  You could also check out Blonde on Blonde to get an idea of what The Band is capable of.

Also, John Prine.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2007, 06:34:44 am »

Yes, yes yes.  DEFINATELY get Blonde on Blonde.  For the band I would recommend Big Pink, but that is really all I have heard (and Last Waltz, but that is live, so?).  Bob Dylan is my hero.  John Prine- John Prine has such classic tracks as Illegal Smile and Your Flag Decal won't Get You into Heaven anymore... Classic.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up