Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Yo mama's so crass and low, she puts chocolate pieces into her mouth while she is still chewing up the previous chocolate pieces.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Country/Country Rock?  (Read 7819 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2007, 06:45:43 am »

John Prine's "Paradise" made me get all teary-eyed when I was in junior high. so I will pursue his music, certainly.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2007, 07:02:54 am »

Quote from: JorgeFabregas
AM's problem isn't that it's too country.

To be honest? I was raised with such a knee-jerk unfair antipathy to all things "country" where I was in the middle of farmland and kids whose dream weekend involves hard liquor and an ATV that... I probably can't tell the difference between "too country" and "bad".

I have been wired to see these two states as the same thing.

I admit and accept this unfair bias but... I just can't get over it.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2007, 01:18:32 pm »

Have you Dead fans ever listened to them when you were not stoned?  Because you'd pretty much have to be stoned to enjoy the Dead, I think.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2007, 03:16:05 pm »

Yea, I can say that I do not understand the Dead at all.  My neighbor is a huge dead fan, and while I can kind of like String Cheese Incident and Yonder Mountain String Band I do not understand the majority of jam band music.  Also, I am hell of stoned when listening to it.  In fact, two days ago I was at a party that was dying down.  I went ahead and made way to the smoking room with one of my friends who shares the love of herb and music and the inability to understand the dead.  We were sitting in there when one of the guys was  said "oh man, this transition coming up is just seamless".  My friends said "Ah, I heard some seams"  but I guess no one understood the joke but me.  Either that, or some of these cats take their dead with a heavy dose of douchebaggery.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 03:30:24 pm by KeithHernandez »
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2007, 03:34:08 pm »

Have you Dead fans ever listened to them when you were not stoned?  Because you'd pretty much have to be stoned to enjoy the Dead, I think.

My, what an original sentiment.

I haven't been stoned for over 10 years, but I still love the Dead.  Have you ever listened to the Dead or are you basing that comment on what you think they are?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2007, 03:42:20 pm »

Actually, in a turn of events, I started disliking the Dead after I stopped smoking.  I will freely admit that most of this has to do with not wanting to be some high school dead head stereotype.  However, I had American Beauty and loved it, then bought Terrapin Station after I started smoking (American Beauty= before).  After that album it became hard for me to respect the Dead from that point on.  To further complicate things, I have listened to both of those albums at my neighbors house recently and don't really hate it anymore.  However, I can never cross that mental barricade I put on the Dead, even though it was my fault for buying an album that is apparently not for amatuer Dead-Heads.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2007, 06:05:20 pm »

Whoa, the Dead are country?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2007, 09:26:18 pm »

(O)ne of my friends who shares the love of herb and music and the inability to understand the dead.  We were sitting in there when one of the guys was  said "oh man, this transition coming up is just seamless".  My friends said "Ah, I heard some seams"

I quite enjoyed that.

I like the Dead, and always have, and I haven't been high in 15 years or so. However, before I ever listened to them and only knew them from seeing album covers in my older brother's collection, I so looked forward to them sounding like Black Sabbath. I think I would have been happier if the whole skull motif had panned out in more of a metal manner. Oh well, at least both Jerry and Tony shared that whole finger thing, so that's good I guess.

I like Whiskeytown, but they probably are too trendy. Also, Supersuckers "Must've Been High" and Cracker's "Kerosene Hat" are slightly country sounding. I'm not super good at this, because I mostly just listen to George Jones and Johnny Cash and Hank when it comes to the country stuff.

Did you try the Eagles?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2007, 09:47:10 pm »

I like Whiskeytown, but they probably are too trendy.

I've not heard Whiskeytown, but I *love* Ryan Adams. For a long time I was prejudiced against him because I had him lumped in with Bryan Adams -- nothing could be further from the truth! Ryan Adams is fantastic. "My Winding Wheel" is one of my favorite songs. I'll have to try Whiskeytown.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2007, 09:53:39 pm »

Whoa, the Dead are country?

Among many other things.  But Johnny Cash/Buck Owens/Marty Robbins country.  Not Garth Brooks/Vince Gill/Insert latest countrypop singer with good hair.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2007, 09:55:26 pm »

... an album that is apparently not for amatuer Dead-Heads.

The problem is that you were buying albums at all.  Get some shows.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2007, 09:56:19 pm »

I've not heard Whiskeytown, but I *love* Ryan Adams. For a long time I was prejudiced against him because I had him lumped in with Bryan Adams -- nothing could be further from the truth! Ryan Adams is fantastic. "My Winding Wheel" is one of my favorite songs. I'll have to try Whiskeytown.

Ryan gets a lot of bad press for sort of being a dick, but it's ok because he absolutely doesn't give a fuck. You should check out his homepage. Let me know what you think. (Check out Cardinals Radio there.) It's always like that - I've never gone there and actually come away with the idea that it was his homepage. Whereas many folks use their homepage as a tool to generate more interest, Ryan seems to just put up whatever occurs to him. Once I went there and the sum total of information being sent out was a recording of him talking with his agent. It seemed to have been inadvertantly recorded on his answering machine. All parties clearly agreed that Ryan was desperately high. His agent was attempting to convince him that he should not release as his next album a double album of covers of some metal band (I think), although it may have been the rumored all-Strokes cover album.

Critical, critical edit in bold above.

Sorry to add to this, but it turns out you can stream all of his albums at that site. Including his album Hillbilly Joel, with such timeless classics as "Passed Out in AA - FUCK" and "Drunk as a Pile of Fuck". Enjoy!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 10:02:51 pm by Nabubrush drinks (a lot) »
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2007, 12:48:44 am »

To be honest? I was raised with such a knee-jerk unfair antipathy to all things "country" where I was in the middle of farmland and kids whose dream weekend involves hard liquor and an ATV that... I probably can't tell the difference between "too country" and "bad".

I have been wired to see these two states as the same thing.

I admit and accept this unfair bias but... I just can't get over it.
Do you like any of the Uncle Tupelo stuff? A lot of that is better than AM and more country. The prevailing aesthetic on AM is pop, in my opinion. They're just fun little pop songs.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2007, 12:53:29 am »

The Eagels are country?

Man, am I confused.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2007, 12:54:48 am »

Not Garth Brooks/Vince Gill/Insert latest countrypop singer with good hair.

I am not sure I have ever heard any of these, but I assume they are what a student of mine once described in a paper as, the only way you know it's country music is that the singers have Southern accents?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up