Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do not bone your neighbor's wife. That is hella lame.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Country/Country Rock?  (Read 7806 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2007, 01:18:02 am »

Garth Brooks lived in my town.

I drive through Toby Keith Blvd. between my parents house and my apartment.

Good ole Oklahoma.

(We also have Wayne Coyne and the Starlight Mints, so that is good.)


The problem is that you were buying albums at all.  Get some shows.

That is what I hear.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2007, 01:44:25 am »

Quote from: wombat
I am not sure I have ever heard any of these, but I assume they are what a student of mine once described in a paper as, the only way you know it's country music is that the singers have Southern accents?

Imagine Bon Jovi... except with steel guitars... and even worse.

This is what is being talked about.

Whether something could ACTUALLY be worse than Bon Jovi or not is really a question for philosophers, once they get past whether God could make a burrito so big He Himself could not finish it, but for the sake of practical arguement, we'll hold with that statement.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2007, 06:15:27 am »

Yes, I've heard the Dead, but only when I wasn't stoned (which is pretty much always).

They suck.  Sorry to be the one to tell you.

And yes, I guess the Eagles are kinda countryish - Peaceful Easy Feeling, Desperado, Take It Easy (I have to say I really liked the Travis Tritt cover), Lyin' Eyes, Already Gone, Tequila Sunrise, Heartache Tonight - yeah, very country.  Life in the Fast Lane, Hotel California, Those Shoes - not so much.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2007, 06:20:45 am »

for me, the Eagles reside with James Taylor and Fleetwood Mac as "Dad Bands." I can never really hear their music as anything other than "goddamnit, why can't my dad listen to cool music! fuck!" from the past 18 years of life.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2007, 01:35:50 pm »

"goddamnit, why can't my dad listen to cool music! fuck!"


Because anything he listened to would by definition be uncool?  You should be glad he didn't ruin anything good for you.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Gimpson

  • King of the Make-Outs
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 16
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 592
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gimpysoft.com
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2007, 06:22:40 pm »

Cracker's "Kerosene Hat"

I also think that "The Golden Age" and "Gentleman's Blues" by Cracker don't get the respect they deserve.  (Gentleman's Blues in particular). 

These may veer a bit too far into folk, but how about The Be Good Tanyas or Jolie Holland?
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2007, 06:29:39 pm »

Ronnie.


James.


Dio.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2007, 10:17:27 pm »

Ronnie.


James.


Dio.

He has songs of wildebeasts and danger
He has soared on the wings of a demon.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2007, 10:21:58 pm »

Don't forget the thrilling defeat of animatronic laser spiders with ultra-powerfull guitar blasts during concert.

(He's really a good dude, times I met him)
Logged
We must repeat!

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2007, 10:29:13 pm »

If you have time to check out others...
    ...
    • Robert Earl Keen

I've always enjoyed Robert Earl Keen.  My mom (who purports not to like any any country music whatsoever) is friends with Rich Brotherton's best-friend-since-the-first-grade.  "Free concert tickets" kind of friends more so than "backstage pass" kind of friends, but he did also give us a huge crate full of mix tapes once.

Ramsay Midwood is another good artist, although I had always thought of him as more bluesy than country until Last.fm informed me otherwise.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2007, 02:49:33 pm »

Everyone's already listening to Neko Case, right?  RIGHT?
Neko live set from Austin City Limits up on eMusic.  I haven't downloaded it yet, but as soon as I get my next set of credits, I'm there.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2007, 03:23:38 am »

Every time I see this thread title I parse it as "rock which is a little bit country but also a little bit country", which is obviously confusing.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2007, 04:14:03 am »

I've always enjoyed Robert Earl Keen.  My mom (who purports not to like any any country music whatsoever) is friends with Rich Brotherton's best-friend-since-the-first-grade.  "Free concert tickets" kind of friends more so than "backstage pass" kind of friends, but he did also give us a huge crate full of mix tapes once.

Ramsay Midwood is another good artist, although I had always thought of him as more bluesy than country until Last.fm informed me otherwise.
Oh shit yes. You get a tiny can for liking Robert Earl. He's so rad. I was introduced to him by an old flame who pointed out when we were young that Robert Earl has a song called "Oh Somebody nice". Word is that he was inspired to write it about the Grizzly Rose, a country-western bar in Denver. I was born and raised in Denver. Hence, I really love that song.

Everyone's already listening to Neko Case, right?  RIGHT?
Neko live set from Austin City Limits up on eMusic.  I haven't downloaded it yet, but as soon as I get my next set of credits, I'm there.
I don't like Neko Case very much, but I fuck*ng love Austin City Limits. I'm in the ACL group on last.fm. Tiny cann'd.
Logged

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2007, 09:54:48 am »

I like the Dead, and always have, and I haven't been high in 15 years or so. However, before I ever listened to them and only knew them from seeing album covers in my older brother's collection, I so looked forward to them sounding like Black Sabbath. I think I would have been happier if the whole skull motif had panned out in more of a metal manner. Oh well, at least both Jerry and Tony shared that whole finger thing, so that's good I guess.

This is exactly what I thought as a child.  My dad hates the Dead, so for a long time when I was growing up I would only see their logo as a sticker on the backs of people's cars.  For a while I thought it was some sort of gang insignia.  Very recently I was also reminded of the first time I saw the cover of Avalon and put it on thinking it was a heavy metal album.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Country/Country Rock?
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2007, 03:45:57 pm »

Can'd for your avatar felix - that's great.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up