Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Terrible dream where Bobby Flay came to my childhood home, danced on the table, recited verse, and we had nothing interesting for him to do.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Humans-- Too Smart Not to Lie?  (Read 2190 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Humans-- Too Smart Not to Lie?
« on: January 17, 2007, 02:39:08 am »

Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

coldfrog

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 30
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 165
  • From Shakespeare's Lights upon Friday's Eve
    • View Profile
    • Some crappy pictures I do sometimes
Re: Humans-- Too Smart Not to Lie?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 04:18:03 am »

That's funny, because I learned in my ethics class that one of the three main survival traits of a species is to not lie.  I forget why though.  Probably some stupid reason.

Also, this article is clearly an april fools joke.  The real trick is that it was not posted on april first so you wouldn't realize it right away.
Logged
Let no man put asunder what I believe is thee proper attyre for footballe.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Humans-- Too Smart Not to Lie?
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 04:57:25 am »

I really like the story about the baby ape tricking its mom.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Humans-- Too Smart Not to Lie?
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 07:13:07 am »

When dealing with humans, if you don't want something (or you want unsomething), often you're presented with the choices to lie or to be an asshole to someone.  Most people's egos choose to lie since it's more likely to preserve a symbiotic relationship with whoever it is you're dicking over.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Humans-- Too Smart Not to Lie?
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 07:22:53 am »

*****_god, i still totally love your avatar.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

innes

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 42
  • thanks awfully
    • View Profile
Re: Humans-- Too Smart Not to Lie?
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 12:46:11 pm »

That's funny, because I learned in my ethics class that one of the three main survival traits of a species is to not lie.  I forget why though.  Probably some stupid reason.

If lying didnt exist someone would invent it and get amazingly rich (translation: have lots of children and propagate their lying abilities to the next generation).
Logged

innes

  • Dr. Kisses
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 11
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 42
  • thanks awfully
    • View Profile
Re: Humans-- Too Smart Not to Lie?
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 12:59:45 pm »

The conscious/unconscious stuff seems to me to miss the point of how the brain works. The 'conscious mind' is a subjective construct that we experience from the inside (that's a bit tautological, but I wanted to emphasize the extreme subjectiveness of it -it's our conscious mind which is 'witnessing' our consciousness). It's silly to look at neurons firing and say 'those neurons are unconscious thought'. Thought is an abstraction way above the firing of neurons, and our own perception of our own thoughts, which is presumably what we mean by consciousness, is above that by another order of magnitude.

Of course I could be talking pish. I'm taking issue with what I think is a misunderstanding on the part of the non-scientist author of the piece. I think. um...


Cartoons about cats. I like them. And otters.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up