Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Wife upset because I kept her up all night playing World of Snorecraft.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: This isn't funny, it's going to depress and outrage you.  (Read 2130 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bobby Isosceles

  • Guest
This isn't funny, it's going to depress and outrage you.
« on: January 25, 2007, 03:35:25 am »

this article says nothing that most people dont already know, but it is just such an exemplary means of depression, and then the last few sentences just twist the knife a little more.

Excellent writing by the reporter to underscore the pathos, but honestly, it's just as terrible by itself.

Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: This isn't funny, it's going to depress and outrage you.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 05:38:13 am »

Sigh.

Poor child.  One consolation is that she probably does not realize how and to what extent she is being degraded.  I hope that it is just work to her and does  not include any of the cultural associations we normally  link to sex work.  I hope she has some fun and gets to do some fun things in her (likely) short life.

Oh, anyone who can read this has been so incredibly lucky in the birth lottery!  Be thankful for your luck and learn compassion for those less lucky than you.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

coldfrog

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 30
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 165
  • From Shakespeare's Lights upon Friday's Eve
    • View Profile
    • Some crappy pictures I do sometimes
Re: This isn't funny, it's going to depress and outrage you.
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 06:10:31 am »

I...  I wish I had stopped before the last three sentences.  Damn, man, what the hell.
Logged
Let no man put asunder what I believe is thee proper attyre for footballe.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: This isn't funny, it's going to depress and outrage you.
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 06:28:10 am »

fuck.

on the way home from Children of Men, we were talking about how if the world were that fucked up, we would turn to drugs or suicide.
and then one fellow pointed out that it's nearly there already.
I was thinking hard about this, but then I got distracted by nearly missing the metro.

such is life in America in the 21st century.

...fuck.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: This isn't funny, it's going to depress and outrage you.
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 06:35:34 am »

Sweet Jesus, help us. The cruelty is unimaginable. I cannot fathom how someone could treat ANYONE like that. There are some horribly evil people in this world. We need to help those children.

I wish that we lived in a world without bad people. I wish that all of those children could be protected and receive love, kindness, medical care, and a shot at happiness. God, what a terrible, terrible story.

I'm in a local production for V-Day...until the violence stops. The monologue that I'm reading is to honor women who survived the rape camps in Bosnia and Kosovo. It's taken me 6 weeks of daily practice to be able to read it without crying. The violence continues around the world and is exemplified in places like Darfur. When will people stop hurting each other? Why don't people stand up for peace and justice? Why don't people protect one another?

It does give me hope that there are people like Somaly Mam, a former prostitute who runs shelters for the victims of Cambodia's sex trade. As the article states, Somaly has rescued 53 children so far. How can we help?? God, we have to help them.



Logged

coldfrog

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 30
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 165
  • From Shakespeare's Lights upon Friday's Eve
    • View Profile
    • Some crappy pictures I do sometimes
Re: This isn't funny, it's going to depress and outrage you.
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 09:04:45 am »

The violence continues around the world and is exemplified in places like Darfur. When will people stop hurting each other? Why don't people stand up for peace and justice? Why don't people protect one another?

Probably because they did not learn the number one rule of this board.  Namely:
Don't be a dick to strangers.

Bastards.
Logged
Let no man put asunder what I believe is thee proper attyre for footballe.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: This isn't funny, it's going to depress and outrage you.
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 06:16:50 pm »

Mark Twain once wrote regarding a request to God for another flood.

This time, no exceptions. No ark.

There are times that I agree, that considering the depth of humanity's self-cruelty, maybe it is time to bring on the storms.

Guardez l'eau, y'know?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: This isn't funny, it's going to depress and outrage you.
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 10:56:40 pm »

There are times that I agree, that considering the depth of humanity's self-cruelty, maybe it is time to bring on the storms.

Kind of an aside, but if everyone were agreed on that, what reason would anyone have to not be a total asshole? It seems like the one thing that gives humanity any hope is that we have no definite end in sight. However, I do absolutely know what you mean and despair of much of the human race much of the time.
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: This isn't funny, it's going to depress and outrage you.
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 01:44:24 am »

The organization that I would like to work for, ijm.org, does a lot of work with this kind of stuff.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: This isn't funny, it's going to depress and outrage you.
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 02:37:45 am »

The organization that I would like to work for, ijm.org, does a lot of work with this kind of stuff.

Wow, thanks for the link, JF. I hadn't heard of them before now, but it looks awesome.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up