Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that Wombat has figured out how to edit the News Box!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Uno spuntino - a snack in Sardinia (Casu marzu: cheese filled with worms)  (Read 6253 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile

http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/italian/cool/food_flash.shtml

So I was bored and started checking out slang in various languages on the intarwub. I was curious about the origin of "Que pasa, guey!" I asked a guy that I work with, a fella from El Salvador, what it meant. He paused thoughtfully, considered a tasteful way to phrase it, and replied, "It means, your wife - she is having an affair." I figured that it had some other meaning and he was trying to be polite, but Lo and behold, guey is slang for cuckold. Thank you Internet, and thank you Sal for your helpful translation services.

Anyway...as the internet goes, I found the BBC's delightful site that provides audio clips of slang in various languages (such as http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/italian/cool/food_flash.shtml). In Italian, "uno spuntino" means a snack, unless you are in Sardenia... then apparently it means
Quote from: BBC's Italian Slang Site
"an all-day eating marathon in the woods with a whole cooked sheep, mountains of vegetables, cheese with worms (I promise there's no better cheese) and rivers of wine."

Intrigued, because I LOVE CHEESE and could not imagine sullying it with worms, and so I wanted to figure out what this was all about...I did a search.

Feast your eyes on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu
Quote from: Wikipedia
Casu marzu (also called casu modde, casu cundhídu, or in Italian formaggio marcio) is a cheese found in Sardinia, Italy, notable for being riddled with live insect larvae. Casu marzu means "rotten cheese" in Sardinian.

Derived from Pecorino Sardo, casu marzu goes beyond typical fermentation to a stage most would consider to be decomposition, brought about by the digestive action of the larvae of the cheese fly, Piophila casei. These larvae are deliberately introduced to the cheese, promoting an advanced level of fermentation and breaking down the cheese's fats. The texture of the cheese becomes very soft, with some liquid (called "lagrima", from the Sardinian for "tears") seeping out. The larvae themselves appear as translucent, white worms, about 8 mm (1/3 inch) long. When disturbed, the larvae can jump for distances up to 15 cm (6 inches), prompting recommendations of eye protection for those eating the cheese. Some people clear the larvae from the cheese before consuming; others do not.

Appearance and taste
Yaroslav Trofimov, writing in the August 23, 2000 edition of The Wall Street Journal, describes the cheese as "a viscous, pungent goo that burns the tongue and can affect other parts of the body".Susan Herrmann Loomis reports an encounter (in a 2002 Bon Appétit article):

    He … grabbed a piece of pane carasau, the traditional flatbread of Sardinia, rinsed it quickly under water to soften it and went to a large glass jar on a side table. He opened the jar, scooped out a mound of what looked like thick cream, and folded the bread around it. …When he was finished I asked what he had eaten, and he got up to show me. Inside the jar was pecorino, busy with small, white worms. I'd heard about this cheese, but this was the first time I'd gotten so close. … A friend of his … said, 'It's formaggio marcio [literally, "rotten cheese"], cheese with worms. It's a delicacy. It's the most beautiful gift you can give a Sardinian shepherd.'

The cheese is typically consumed with Sardinian bread (pane carasau) and Cannonau, a strong red wine.

Dangers
Several food safety issues have been raised with casu marzu:

    * Anecdotal reports of allergic reactions.
    * A risk of the decomposition advancing to a toxic state. (Folk wisdom in Sardinia holds that still-living larvae are an assurance that this has not yet happened.)
    * Risk of enteric myiasis: intestinal larval infection. Piophila casei larvae can pass through the stomach alive (human stomach acids do not usually kill them) and take up residency for some period of time in the intestines, where they can cause serious lesions as they attempt to bore through the intestinal walls. Symptoms include nausea, vomiting, pain in the abdomen, and bloody diarrhea.

Because of these health threats, or simply because it is considered a contaminated product, casu marzu cheese cannot be legally sold in Italy. Within Sardinia, enforcement of the ban is sporadic and the cheese is available as a black market item, selling for about three times pecorino's price.


It's safe to say I will never eat such a thing. Good on ya, brave Sardinians who eat this stuff. It takes all kinds, I guess. Anyone ever traveled to Sardinia?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 11:58:19 pm by linnea »
Logged

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: Uno spuntino - a snack in Sardinia (cheese filled with worms)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 10:16:20 pm »

Possum recipes in one thread, rotten worm cheese tales in another and Quail Jesus amongst us'n.

TOUAMB IS ON FIRE TODAY.

Goddam why they got to do such a thing!?!

(it was a good read lady)
Logged
We must repeat!

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile

Man.

The folks at xkcd have some choice words about Wikipedia: http://www.xkcd.com/c214.html
Logged

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Uno spuntino - a snack in Sardinia (Casu marzu: cheese filled with worms)
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 11:16:52 am »

Man.

The folks at xkcd have some choice words about Wikipedia: http://www.xkcd.com/c214.html

Can'd. For both posts in fact. I love a good pecorino, I've been massacring my way through a fine Bruckley of late, and while I am brave when it comes to odd foods that are considered classics, there is no way I am going to eat cheese worms. I mean, even before reading the fuck*ng dangers, I was of the mind that I don't need to eat anything activated by worms.

As for wikipedia, yet again xkcd gets it spot on. I do wonder if some day I'm going to be found dead, sat in front of a firefox window with a thousand open tabs, brain overloaded, words spilling from my ear, eyes crossed, starved and dehydrated.
It's a serious concern!
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Uno spuntino - a snack in Sardinia (Casu marzu: cheese filled with worms)
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 07:06:41 pm »

Man.

As someone grossed out by the concept of blue cheese, this is mindblowingly gross.

...but only slightly grosser than blue cheese, really.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Uno spuntino - a snack in Sardinia (Casu marzu: cheese filled with worms)
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 07:18:05 pm »

man, I can one-up this.

Check this out.

I cannot find the other one... the one that is similar, except they just put the giraffe in a sack and leave them out back of their house.
I swear to God they do that. I saw it on... some show. on the Discovery Channel, I think.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Uno spuntino - a snack in Sardinia (Casu marzu: cheese filled with worms)
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 07:22:24 pm »

Call me weird but... rotten giraffe heads seem less gross than blue cheese to me.

I mean, still gross? But I just do not get blue cheese.

At least the giraffe become impregnated with disgusting germs... incidentally. Blue cheese being filled with disgusting germs is the entire POINT.

Heathcliff would eat this eskimo delicacy. Heathcliff would not eat blue cheese.

I invoke The Heathcliff Rule.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Uno spuntino - a snack in Sardinia (Casu marzu: cheese filled with worms)
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 07:25:34 pm »

wow. I did not know that that was how they made that shit.

I thought I didn't like it because it was just... nasty.
But now I know. Penicillin. Wow.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Uno spuntino - a snack in Sardinia (Casu marzu: cheese filled with worms)
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 03:31:18 pm »

Doesn't all aged cheese have purposely introduced baceria? And yogurt and miso are both alive when you eat them.

And worchestershite sauce is traditionally made from rotten giraffe. Although I think nowadays they just use fresh giraffe-drippings.
Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Uno spuntino - a snack in Sardinia (Casu marzu: cheese filled with worms)
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 04:00:22 pm »

Doesn't all aged cheese have purposely introduced baceria? And yogurt and miso are both alive when you eat them.

And worchestershite sauce is traditionally made from rotten giraffe. Although I think nowadays they just use fresh giraffe-drippings.

That is very true (I didn't know that about Worcestershire though!!). However, yogurt and miso contain probiotics that actually improve the health of your tum. On the other hand, casu marzu is illegal in Italy because it carries the risk of enteric myiasis: intestinal larval infection.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Uno spuntino - a snack in Sardinia (Casu marzu: cheese filled with worms)
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 04:11:15 pm »

That is very true (I didn't know that about Worcestershire though!!). However, yogurt and miso contain probiotics that actually improve the health of your tum. On the other hand, casu marzu is illegal in Italy because it carries the risk of enteric myiasis: intestinal larval infection.

This is why they make vegetarian Worcestershire sauce. It's also why some sad, misguided restaurants think that traditional Caesar salad has anchovies in it when in reality it has Worcestershire which contains giraffe.
Logged

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Uno spuntino - a snack in Sardinia (Casu marzu: cheese filled with worms)
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 08:34:02 am »

Worms: not to be eaten.

Parasites in general: not to be eaten.

Yeast: OK in food.

Bacteria: (many varieties) OK in food.

I think those rotten giraffe are what are sometimes called "Stink heads," which is the nickname for Mark Schlereth, a football analyist I enjoy listening to.  He got the nickname "stink" because he is from Alaska and he was describing stink heads to his team when he was a rookie, and everyone just called him that forever.  So I guess be careful what you tell your co-workers about when you are new.

I guess what I'm saying here is that I will eat unicellular organisms infesting other food media, but once the additive has its own digestive tract the game is over.

Also: My father asks for anchovies on his Caesar in the nicest places, and that bothers me.

Also also: the original home of the Cesar salad is a restaurant not too far across the border in Mexico, but I am not planning to go there to have one.  Cesar is dead anyway.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: Uno spuntino - a snack in Sardinia (Casu marzu: cheese filled with worms)
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 12:07:23 pm »

Doesn't all aged cheese have purposely introduced baceria? And yogurt and miso are both alive when you eat them.

Indeed, the best cheeses are those which are crumbly, or have enough pockets of air to allow the good stuff to happen. And of  course blue cheese (which I am also not especially a fan of - not due to flavour so much, but the mould dust as it hits the tongue) is typically not compressed at all so as to leave larger spaces. And as mentioned, cured meats (salami for instance) relies on bacteria. Oh, and as for not eating worms being a general thing, tell that to various nomadic peoples...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 12:11:41 pm by slink »
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Uno spuntino - a snack in Sardinia (Casu marzu: cheese filled with worms)
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 08:53:03 pm »

wait... Salami? Really?

I fuck*ng love Salami. and Bologna.

But the best is... pastrami. I think. This one time I ordered Salami, and what they brought me was not salami... it was... amazing. And I was told by others that it looked like pastrami.

I want that sandwich.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Uno spuntino - a snack in Sardinia (Casu marzu: cheese filled with worms)
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 10:44:43 pm »

wait... Salami? Really?

Pickling and fermentation are tricks our ancestors invented to keep noxious organisms from eating our food.  When salt &/or acid levels are high enough, the bugs that make food rotten and poisonous don't grow well.  The bugs that do grow are the ones that excrete acid (lactic, acetic, etc) or ethanol,  and CO2 which makes tangy, boozy, or puffy things (respectively) happen to the foodstuffs.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up