Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood New Roast Beef band name: THE DATA-TONES

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Super Bowl Predictions!  (Read 10445 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Super Bowl Predictions!
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2007, 07:02:43 pm »

Since I come from a family where I am the only person who even REMOTELY cares about sports, I will not be watching the Super Bowl. Even though I... kinda want to. I don't watch much football but, I mean, it's the Super Bowl.

So I'm dealing with this... really really weird peer pressure from my brother and my girlfriend (my roommates) and my father (who is visiting) where it's like "Oh, only meatheads and idiots watch football, lets go to the La Brea Tarpits on Sunday instead."

As though my passing interest in a football game is, like, a sign of intellectual weakness.

I feel like I'm 14 and being pressured to smoke except... that I'm being told I'm dumb if I wanna watch a football game. The only way I could engage my dad at all on the subject was debating with him who would win in a fight, the largest hoss alive or the largest bear alive.

This was as close as I could get.

I am so painfully weak willed about these things.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Super Bowl Predictions!
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2007, 07:20:16 pm »

wow, that is so the opposite of my situation. But I suppose that's typical.

I think the big debate on my floor will be: do they watch it in some kid's room, so they can drink beers, or do they watch it downstairs on a bigger TV... where they can't drink.
I might actually watch. I am not sure.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Super Bowl Predictions!
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2007, 07:27:37 pm »

In our college dormitory floor my senior year... I didn't have a car so I lived in dorms all four years... the RA was a sophomore and I was sort of the de-facto leader of a cabal of broadcast-journalism and TV-Film juniors and seniors who ruled the floor with an iron fist.

A week in, the RA passed out drunk and we stole her key to the emergency fire exit, copied it and created the world's most successful shortcut to the one food court on camps with fast food franchises, like, ever.

From there, it went downhill.

If we watched something on the teevee in the shared lounge, we openly drank except we would put post-its that said "Root Beer" on the bottles as we drank them, just to sort of rub it in to any person who might still believe in the idea of authority.

As much as I disliked a lot of my college experience, Christ, responsibility just wasn't even a word.

I do miss that part.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Super Bowl Predictions!
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2007, 08:22:38 pm »

Jesus fuck, I nearly forgot about the obligatory 9 hour pre-game show preceding every Super Bowl game. A dude can only take so many mentions of this being the first Super Bowl to be coached by two African-Americans before he has to go do something outside until kickoff.

It's not you, Boomer Esiason. It's me.

Bjorn the Destroyer

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 67
  • By Odin's beard!
    • View Profile
Re: Super Bowl Predictions!
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2007, 10:07:15 pm »

Prediction:

W: Corporate Sponsors and Frozen Foods Provisioners
L: Our Immortal Souls.
Logged
3-6-9 12-15-18 21-24-27 30

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Super Bowl Predictions!
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2007, 12:37:46 am »

The Puppy Bowl is excellent this year!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Super Bowl Predictions!
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2007, 01:02:27 am »

Jesus fuck, I nearly forgot about the obligatory 9 hour pre-game show preceding every Super Bowl game. A dude can only take so many mentions of this being the first Super Bowl to be coached by two African-Americans before he has to go do something outside until kickoff.

It's not you, Boomer Esiason. It's me.

I was a restaurant last night and the bar TV's had on a pre-game show a full 24-hours before kick-off. It had Ditka.
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Super Bowl Predictions!
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2007, 01:18:30 am »

Prince is killing it with this halftime show. I thought all halftime shows were supposed to be lame as all get out?  Either way, I'll take it!

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Super Bowl Predictions!
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2007, 01:22:51 am »

Oh my god... I just got to see the halftime show. It was SO SHORT! I never wanted it to end!! Prince is amazing. I hope that someone recorded it, or that I'll be able to find a recording somewhere...
Logged

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: Super Bowl Predictions!
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2007, 01:24:18 am »

I'm sure it'll be up on YouTube in no time.

Game. Blouses.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Super Bowl Predictions!
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2007, 01:56:21 am »

Prince is killing it with this halftime show. I thought all halftime shows were supposed to be lame as all get out?  Either way, I'll take it!

Agreed.  It only took the NFL 40 years to get a decent half-time show.  Don't worry, I'm sure the person responsible has been sacked.  We'll be back to nose-picking street dancers or bubblegum pop-tarts this time next year.

Game's not bad either.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Bjorn the Destroyer

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 67
  • By Odin's beard!
    • View Profile
Re: Super Bowl Predictions!
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2007, 02:07:16 am »

Actually, he wasn't. But now he has. The persons responsible for sacking him have also been sacked.
Logged
3-6-9 12-15-18 21-24-27 30

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Super Bowl Predictions!
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2007, 03:37:13 am »

The Prince's guitar that's shaped as his symbol and held so one end extends from his crotch to form an image of a c*ck when projected onto the big flowing sheet was the hit of our Super Bowl party.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Muse_Of_Fire

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 27
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 210
  • Purveyor of Tomcoolery
    • View Profile
Re: Super Bowl Predictions!
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2007, 04:10:44 am »

I heard Prince had found Jesus and as such was no longer being sexual (or even swearing) in his music. However a crotch-wielded guitar designed to project a phallus onto a sheet... that doesn't sound like something he'd do at a church picnic.

Well, the old, pre-Born-Again Prince would.

I hope to God your tales of Super Bowl Halftime wonder are true.
Logged
I'm afraid of ending up like Dugger.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Super Bowl Predictions!
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2007, 04:16:58 am »

yeah, I had heard that he needed a hip replacement, and had become a Jehovah's Witness.

Which in retrospect sounds like bull, but, I believed it at the time.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up