Has Onstad been watching Heston Blumenthal's BBC show? These are some selected highlights of his recipe for black forest gateau - I would post it
all but it is three pages long:
Special equipment 21.5cm x 31.5cm brownie tin(s), food mixer (optional), oven thermometer, 2.6-litre hard plastic container with lid (through which you have bored a small hole, using a corkscrew), microwave (if you have one), whipping-cream canister and charges (from www.creamsupplies.co.uk), vacuum-seal storage bag with one-way valve, vacuum cleaner, digital probe, 9cm x 19cm x 5cm-deep baking tin(s), piping bag, melon- baller, large cardboard box, paint gun.
AERATED CHOCOLATE LAYER
....
5 Shake the canister, then squirt the chocolate onto the base of the 2.6-litre plastic container. Put on the lid, then place the container in the vacuum storage bag. Position the storage bags valve over the hole in the containers lid. Switch on the vacuum cleaner and place the hose on the valve to suck the air out of the bag. The chocolate should rise and be riddled with small bubbles. As soon as it does so, remove the vacuum and close the valve as quickly as possible. To set the chocolate, place the box still in the vacuum bag in the fridge until required.
CHOCOLATE MOUSSE
...
8 Fill the base of the paint gun with the melted chocolate mixture and attach the nozzle. To avoid redecorating the kitchen in chocolate brown, set the large cardboard box on its side (which effectively provides a protective roof and walls to work in). Remove the gateau from the freezer. Carefully lift it out of the loaf tin and onto a plate. Remove the clingfilm and place the gateau in the cardboard box. Spray the gateau with the chocolate, turning carefully as you go. Return it to the freezer until 20 minutes before serving.
9 Use a skewer to bore a small hole 23in into the centre of the bottom of each indentation, down towards the cherry below. Agitate the skewer a little to increase the holes diameter. Pour in cherry syrup until it reaches the top of the bore-hole (but doesnt spill out into the indentation itself). Place a sour cherry, stalk end up, in each indentation, and sit a dried vanilla pod in each cherry, to make a decorative stalk. For the full effect, fill an atomiser with kirsch and squirt it round the room just before serving the gateau it will magically bring a little of the Black Forest to the dinner table.
I love how the food mixer is optional, but the vacuum cleaner is not

I think the concept of the
Fat Duck restaurant is pretty cool, but for the fact that it clearly takes them three weeks to make any one dish. I would be lying if I said that I was enough of a gastronome that only food from said restaurant could satisfy my cravings - I could make an omelette in 30 seconds that would quell my hunger pangs right now. I'd feel guilty to a) spend so much money on and then b) eat such finely crafted food.