Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Valentine's Day and V-Day  (Read 4301 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Valentine's Day and V-Day
« on: January 27, 2007, 04:13:41 am »

So as we all know, Valentine's day is coming up... rather than be bitter about yet another breakup, I'm focusing on the positive. There's the cutest babydoll t-shirt EVAR, which has a chocolate molecule on it. Talk about rad.

Anyway, the other thing that I'm reminded of after Bobby's post regarding child victimization is about V-Day. It's designed to raise awareness about violence against women and girls until the violence STOPS. Check out the site if you've got time. You could also see a production of the pu$$y Monologues by Eve Ensler, of which I am going to be a part. I'm reading a monologue about the atrocities of systematic rape as a tactic of war, specifically what happened to women in Bosnia and Kosovo. Of course, violence occurs every day, from your hometown to Darfur.

Anyway, I just wanted to make a thread about Valentine's Day and V-Day. Are any of you going to attend productions of the pu$$y Monologues in your hometown?

Logged

coldfrog

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 30
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 165
  • From Shakespeare's Lights upon Friday's Eve
    • View Profile
    • Some crappy pictures I do sometimes
Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 09:24:26 am »

I have attended three productions, and I can now say that it's a great idea, but what it comes down to this year is seeing the same play 4 times.  I like the theater, but there's only so many times I can listen to a dozen euphemisms for pu$$ys before I just don't care anymore.

I'll just donate some money or something.
Logged
Let no man put asunder what I believe is thee proper attyre for footballe.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 08:21:23 am »

I'm reading a monologue about the atrocities of systematic rape as a tactic of war, specifically what happened to women in Bosnia and Kosovo.

Does the theater have a suicide room?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 01:39:53 pm »

Can we talk about chocolate instead?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 05:06:45 pm »

Why notboth?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 05:17:10 pm »

Oh, so not clicking.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 05:52:32 pm »

Does the theater have a suicide room?

It's an unbelievable piece. It's disturbing. It makes you feel so much empathy for the victim and everything that she has gone through. It makes you cringe and hate being human because of the terrible things that humans have done to each other.

Theater is supposed to make you think. This piece is incredibly disturbing. As I stated elsewhere, it took me six weeks of daily practice before I was able to read it without crying. I hope that my performance does the piece justice.

Also, smells, I love you for posting that link. <3 I hadn't seen that before!
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 07:34:53 pm »

The first time I heard of "The pu$$y Monologues" I assumed that it involved... a giant animatronic pu$$y, maybe latex or something I don't know, the size of a person that... delivered a monologue onstage.

I'd heard about it third-hand so I didn't understand that it was a Noble and Respectable Enterprise for the Telling of Unheard Stories... I thought it was one of those fringe-art absurdist pieces by rich college kids able to waste their parents' money on giant talking Muppet pu$$ys.

Like if Andy Warhol remade "Meet The Feebles" or something.

And... now, I fear I would attend and these ladies would be saying all of these important and deep things and... I would only be able to see the thing I originally imagined the show to be about. A six-foot tall puppet pu$$y that talked.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 04:03:51 am »

Just so y'all know, my support is coming in the form of being a good dedicated family man.
Logged
We must repeat!

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 01:38:16 pm »

Which means you buy the family a lot of chocolate, right?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 02:42:18 pm »

POUNDS
Logged
We must repeat!

Muse_Of_Fire

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 27
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 210
  • Purveyor of Tomcoolery
    • View Profile
Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 02:14:43 am »

giant talking Muppet pu$$ys.


This forum is awesome for coming up with potential band names, as I believe has been mentioned copiously by others around the boards.

But back to the topic at hand...

I try to show my support daily by being a positive role model and figure of support to the young people I work with every day. As trite as that sounds, it has a cumulative effect and hopefully will make some impact in developing a generation of people who respect and protect one another.

Sometimes just being reminded that this stuff goes on is powerful by itself--it's good for us all to get out of our comfy bubbles and be reminded that most of us have it so good, we're in a position to do something about those who don't.

Good luck to you in your performance, linnea.
Logged
I'm afraid of ending up like Dugger.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 02:49:36 am »

I tried to do a good deed today.  A lady pulled out of a gas station in front of me and I saw that her gas cap, which she had left on the trunk of her car rolled off into the street.  She didn't notice.  I tried very hard to catch her to tell her this.  It's not an essential part of the vehicle, but I doubt she wants to lose it if she can help it.  And you know, I was inspired by that hero from NYC that jumped on the tracks to save a boy.  I figure if he could do that, I could help a lady get her to not lose her gas cap.  My passenger side window handle is loose so it has a habit of falling into the floorboard.  I risked life and limb giraffeing around in the floorboard trying to find it while at the same time trying not to lose this lady.  I finally caught up to her and got beside her, but can't get her attention.  She's talking on the phone, which is possibly a contributing factor in why she mislaid her gas cap.  So I am waving my hands frantically at her and finally she looks over at me.  I reach over and roll down the window and motion for her to do the same.  She puts her window down about 2 inches then thinks better of the situation and stops rolling.  She gets this 'what does this freak want' look on her face.  I yell to her, "you've lost your gas cap."  She can't hear me, she ain't rolling down her window.  I yell at her again, she can't hear me, she ain't lowering her window, she ain't putting down the phone.  So I said fuck it and let her go.  I guess she'll figure it out when she gets to wherever she is going.

So anyway, I didn't rape anyone and I tried to do a good deed for someone today.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 05:20:49 am »

When did you become a mod, Paul? Have you always been one and I just didn't notice??
Rah for good deeds.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Valentine's Day and V-Day
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 05:23:23 am »

man, I do shit like that all the time. by which I mean, when I am in a bad mood... basically so that I can feel like more of a Poor Martyr Who is Only Nice.  it bothers me how often people do not get that I am trying to help them.

For instance, early-teens kids who were for some reason at school at like 10 PM on a friday-- they did not want to borrow my cell phone, and were quite adamant that they had a ride coming.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up