Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Making money from art is not vulgar. Art is a commodity. It makes people feel something. It raises the greater sum of human happiness. It increases the gaiety of the nation. It has a value. -John Allison

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"  (Read 7648 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2007, 04:16:43 am »

We only play TP occasionally because two of our friends are way over competative. If they're on opposite teams they each take 20 minutes per question trying to work out the answer rather than give up lest the other person win. But when they're together it's even worse because then they'll both talk over each other trying to deduce the answer.

We can't do Play on Words for the same reason. They're both convinced that they have the correct letters to go out every single turn, they just need to play with their hand long enough.

This is why we default to timed games like Catchphrase, Taboo, and Celebrities.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2007, 04:33:50 am »

We're having a Super Bowl party with the two couples we usually socialize with.  We usually play some sort of game (they don't want to play TP anymore,) but the last few times we've played Encore which is kind of like musical trivia + bad karaoke (is that redundant?).

I highly recommend it.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2007, 04:38:16 am »

You should check out 1701 A.D. (or Anno 1701 in its original German).  My wife, who is a deeply devoted Civilization 4 player, is astonished that I find it entertaining to set up trade networks for little island city-states.

We've drifted a long way from sleep-chilling cartoon cats and sandwiches.

1701 is the newest one, correct?  I loved 1602 and 1503 (or is that backwards?), so I'll probably look for this one.  My strategy is to create one city where all the population is, then make farming (or mining) colonies on the other islands with the resources.  Once I figured out that you don't have to build houses to support farms and mines things really progressed.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2007, 05:13:43 am »

Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2007, 06:08:57 am »

We should set up some sort of internet Scrabble.  I want to play some competition.  Some of my buddies are half-intelligent, but on the few times board came out, it was a holocaust.  I haven't played any board game in years, now.

This suggestion is based on a loose theory that I actually will find the free time to do this.
Logged
ACHIEVE

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2007, 06:19:52 am »

I suck at scrabble so much. My little brother always beats me because he knows all those weird short words. I always get too distracted by words I can -almost- spell that would be SO AWESOME oh man guys guess what I can almost do "furniculous" which is a kind of cloud that only occurs in China on the day that a man kills his only goat so that he can use its meat as dowry for his daughter! Doesn't that remind you of how before we were talking about government-mandated family planning? I think it came up at school this one time when...

etc.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2007, 01:49:49 pm »

I suck at scrabble so much. My little brother always beats me because he knows all those weird short words. I always get too distracted by words I can -almost- spell that would be SO AWESOME oh man guys guess what I can almost do "furniculous" which is a kind of cloud that only occurs in China on the day that a man kills his only goat so that he can use its meat as dowry for his daughter! Doesn't that remind you of how before we were talking about government-mandated family planning? I think it came up at school this one time when...

etc.

I am lucky if I spell my own name correctly. Word games are not my forte.

That said Quiddler is pretty fun, especially if you're already familar with Five Crowns.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2007, 06:37:17 pm »

1701 is the newest one, correct? 

Yep.  I haven't played the earlier versions so I can't advise you much on the differences.  Something cool is that your population advances through various states of sophistication, leading up to the development of an aristocracy that craves really expensive stuff and beautiful surroundings (which are predicated on being able to mine marble, gold, gems and fashioning jewelry from same).  Also, trading with native civilizations and dodging a Black-beardy pirate (or ultimately wiping him out by invading his island, as I did recently).
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: January 30th, 2007 - "they do a really long Reuben"
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2007, 08:38:07 pm »

One of the many sadnesses of engaging in little non-online socialization is the inability to play Betrayal At The House On The Hill or Cosmic Encounter.

Cosmic Encounter Online, yo. 
http://www.cosmicencounter.com
(I have not actually played this.  Been on their mailing list for a while though.)
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up