Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What we need more of is science.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: That was uncalled for (1.31.07)  (Read 7167 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Limmo

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 40
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1166
    • View Profile
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: that was uncalled for (1.31.07)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 05:24:34 am »

food chain. get used to it.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: that was uncalled for (1.31.07)
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 05:26:05 am »

Yeah, this one is pretty good. I especially like how gangsta Ray is when he holds his glock sideways. Cow kinda looks like a spotted dog, though.

melack

  • Philippe
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 70
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 940
  • Cheer up, hamburger.
    • View Profile
    • Worst Songs, Played on Ugliest Guitars
Re: That was uncalled for (1.31.07)
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 05:28:07 am »

Also! Am I the only one who sees more than a bit or irony in a cat using the food chain as an excuse to kill a cow?

DanSC

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 79
    • View Profile
Re: That was uncalled for (1.31.07)
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 06:36:47 am »

I mean, a cat is more likely to kill a cow in the food chain than vice versa.
Logged
"If you can't have fun playin' with a toy truck, then it's time to reevaluate your life."

FutureDeadPerson

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 16
  • ARBLE GABBLE GOBBLE GREEBLE
    • View Profile
Re: That was uncalled for (1.31.07)
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 07:09:16 am »

Onstad gets an F- for that cow.  Apparently all the ugly cows are given away by farmers and sent to these classes for people to go "Hostel" on them.

I never took a class where we had to shave our heads, but I think I want to.



Logged

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: That was uncalled for (1.31.07)
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 07:10:13 am »

I mean, a cat is more likely to kill a cow in the food chain than vice versa.

A housecat's ancestors might have taken down a wounded oxen or something... maybe stolen a baby calf and eaten it...I bet that there are mountain lions that have purloined livestock before. I like the fact that 'Stad realized that Ray is not human sized in comparison to a cow, and therefore added the alt-text to describe the height difference. Isn't it funny that he draws them human-sized now, instead of cat-sized? I guess it's because their personalities have taken on human-like proportions since the early days.

I don't like this strip. It makes me sad. It reminds me of why I was veg for so many years...although animals have ALWAYS eaten other animals. It is the food chain, after all. Humans are omnivores, I guess I should get used to it.
Logged

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: That was uncalled for (1.31.07)
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 10:59:30 am »

That cow is pretty assily drawn, but this is still a great strip. Of course Ray would have to stand on a stool!
Logged

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: That was uncalled for (1.31.07)
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 11:30:46 am »

1 - The cow looks like a rotweiller that ate a barrel. Is HILARIOUS.
2 - The "cow's" startled expression when Ray shoots.
3 - "That was uncalled for".

I'm happy that a cow got shot in today's strip.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

hoborg

  • Scrambles the Dog
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 2
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 21
    • View Profile
Re: That was uncalled for (1.31.07)
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 12:29:26 pm »

It must be kind of hard to curb a mussel, you could smash someone's fingers up pretty good. Hopefully the williams-sonoma curb mat has a device that allows you to hold things in place.

I'm not sure Onstad knows what a cow is.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: That was uncalled for (1.31.07)
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 01:54:01 pm »

Between "fila" in the newsletter and "curb" in the strip it's like Onstad went out of his way to use words I wouldn't understand today.

Panel 6 is the best one. There is no argument.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: That was uncalled for (1.31.07)
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 02:07:42 pm »

Between "fila" in the newsletter and "curb" in the strip it's like Onstad went out of his way to use words I wouldn't understand today.

Panel 6 is the best one. There is no argument.

"curb" as in curb-stomp.  As in a reference to the mediocre movie "American History X."
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: That was uncalled for (1.31.07)
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 03:28:51 pm »

Is anyone else disturbed by the mental image of Ray with a shaved head? 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: That was uncalled for (1.31.07)
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 03:30:22 pm »

Is anyone else disturbed by the mental image of Ray with a shaved head? 

Couldn't be any worse than when Philippe did it.
Logged

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: That was uncalled for (1.31.07)
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007, 03:51:19 pm »

OK cort - you are the king.

I liked everything including bossy about today's one-off. I'll bet Ray didn't imagine processing his own cow though. Hella work and messy too.
Logged
We must repeat!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up