Yeah, today's strip was just beautiful, in the most complete sense of the word. I puzzled for a long time over that "D," and finally settled on it just being another way to convey the emptiness and disappointment one (who's got depression) must feel in confronting the imperfection of the world. My heart just breaks for Beef all the time; and then I'm comforted in remembering that at least he's got Molly.
I hope it's not bad form to invoke past strips in threads about current ones, but I'm gonna do it anyway.
"Toast" -- 05 December, 2006, to me, brought Beef and Molly's relationship into very sharp focus. Maybe I'm overly romantic for my own good, but IMO this is the kind of thing that people in loving relationships do for one another (althouh this was definitely expressed through the completely unique Achewood perspective).
Considering how things were portrayed in "Toast," I have hope that Molly will be understanding when Beef returns empty-handed.
And finally, I agree, the inclusion of Emeril and Spongebath was genius. Visual punctuation, definitely.