Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Have some dignity.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm just that guy, you know?  (Read 6917 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bjorn the Destroyer

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 67
  • By Odin's beard!
    • View Profile
Re: I'm just that guy, you know?
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2007, 12:18:35 am »

Well, like I said, the store isn't open yet. I don't think. You might want to call ahead and ask.

But, interesting fact, the writing centers with running stores (San Francisco and Brooklyn) get about twenty percent of their income from the retail portion.
Logged
3-6-9 12-15-18 21-24-27 30

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: I'm just that guy, you know?
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2007, 12:21:14 am »

Quote from: smick
Blind Melon and to a lesser extent, De La Soul.

I wonder if this phrase has ever been used before in the history of the English language.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: I'm just that guy, you know?
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2007, 12:33:41 am »

There's a store called Seawolf Trading Company here in Fremont that sells hell-of piratey stuff.  From Playmobil action sets to pewter tankards and swords (behind the counter).  Dunno if its a covert creative writing tutoring service.  Is this the chain store in disguise you alluded to earlier?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Bjorn the Destroyer

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 67
  • By Odin's beard!
    • View Profile
Re: I'm just that guy, you know?
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2007, 01:15:13 am »

Maybe?

I think we're probably referring to the crappy "pirate store" on giraffeerman's wharf that sells like a shirt with a skull and cross bones and San Francisco chotchka souvenirs.

Really, though, I think it's because we needed a way to distinguish ourselves in San Francisco, and we saw like five of "The Best Independent Bookstores in San Francisco" and were like really screw that. None of them can claim to be the only independent book store in San Francisco.
Logged
3-6-9 12-15-18 21-24-27 30

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: I'm just that guy, you know?
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2007, 05:07:18 am »

The other bad things about Schoolhouse rock are: 
1)  Somtimes people perform it as a play, and other people have friends involved in its production and so are obligated to see it.  In my days as a theater person I was dragged to such performances on multiple occasions.
2)  It has a song about how great manifest destiny is. 

Oh man, I'd completely forgotten about that song!  Years later, one of my high school history textbooks explained Lebensraum as meaning "elbow room."  Nobody else understood why I burst out laughing in the middle of class.

Back in elementary school we were apparently too dumb to watch any of the times table songs beyond five.  We got to see six and seven once on "Fun Friday" in lieu of a real movie like Old Yeller or Milo and Otis.  That's Georgia public education for you, though.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I'm just that guy, you know?
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2007, 05:15:27 am »

yeah, um, I was in Schoolhouse Rock.
I was proud of it for like a week, and then I realized that I had just been in the most ridiculous thing of all time.

I was in 6th grade, people. After that show I lost the ability to sing for like... I guess at this point it's been 7 years.

(wow, that feels like a creepily long time.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: I'm just that guy, you know?
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2007, 07:30:42 am »

At least you weren't in Up With People
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I'm just that guy, you know?
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2007, 07:46:52 am »

until at Least 10th grade, I had one benefit from that show-- I got an very tight red shirt with a big silver star on it. This was basically wonderful, and I wore it a few times-- including the time my first band played in a barn on new year's eve. I would have worn it all the time, except... if I washed it the star would have come off.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Alternate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 141
  • the dinosaurs died for your sins
    • View Profile
Re: I'm just that guy, you know?
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2007, 08:42:28 am »

I'm glad you said that about the star shirt, because... I didn't just get drafted to watch schoolhouse rock.  I got drafted to be the assistant director for a production of schoolhouse rock at an elementary school... seven years ago.  I'm pretty sure there were no awesome shirts with stars involved, though.  So you were almost definitely not in it.
Logged
Science fun fact:  Did you know that sharks are the awesomest of all animals?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I'm just that guy, you know?
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2007, 08:45:04 am »

oh, this was in Middle School. In North Carolina. So.

I wouldn't hold it against you, anyway.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Alternate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 141
  • the dinosaurs died for your sins
    • View Profile
Re: I'm just that guy, you know?
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2007, 08:55:19 am »

Well, that's a relief.  Although the downside is that now I know there were at least two productions of schoolhouse rock that year, and that knowledge makes the world a slightly darker place. 
Logged
Science fun fact:  Did you know that sharks are the awesomest of all animals?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: I'm just that guy, you know?
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2007, 09:06:22 am »

at least 3-- we went to see one later that year.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Alternate

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 51
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 141
  • the dinosaurs died for your sins
    • View Profile
Re: I'm just that guy, you know?
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2007, 09:09:51 am »

Dear lord.  That's like... one production of schoolhouse rock per hundred million people. 
Logged
Science fun fact:  Did you know that sharks are the awesomest of all animals?

coldfrog

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 30
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 165
  • From Shakespeare's Lights upon Friday's Eve
    • View Profile
    • Some crappy pictures I do sometimes
Re: I'm just that guy, you know?
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2007, 04:05:56 pm »

until at Least 10th grade, I had one benefit from that show-- I got an very tight red shirt with a big silver star on it.

Could this be...  the origin of Homestar Runner?  Schoolhouse Rock?  Do you think the brothers Chaps were involved in such a thing?
This could be the most important revelation of the last several hours.
Logged
Let no man put asunder what I believe is thee proper attyre for footballe.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: I'm just that guy, you know?
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2007, 04:17:52 pm »

Boo to anyone hatin' on "Three is a Magic Number."  That's a great freakin' song.

Everyone calls out "Conjunction Junction" and "Lolly Lolly Lolly Get Your Adverbs Here," but for my money, the one about pronouns is awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOaty7FpwMI
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up