Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Is eaten food technically rotting inside you? It's pretty warm in there. Technically, we all not only live in, but *are* "the danger zone."

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: (6th of February, 2007) A German who gets so bored by his haircut that he dies.  (Read 18118 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile

I had a car once that let you know it was below 1/4 tank by running out of gas.  Miscalibrated gauge, I guess.  It was also non-linear in its response - it would sprint from full to half, then slowly dwindle towards 1/4.  Not a car you want to loan to someone.  At least, not someone you like.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile

My whole family is now totally incapable of working their own door locks. My mom's last car locked all the doors when you put it into gear, then unlocked them when you put it in park. Her new car doesn't do that 2nd part, so parks the car everybody will just yank on the door handles in vain trying to be let out until the driver hits the switch. It has never once in the 2 years she's had to car occurred to anybody to just flip the manual lock themselves and hop out.

Every time I do my family thinks I'm a magician. "How did you get out? My door is still locked!"
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun

Quote
My whole family is now totally incapable of working their own door locks. My mom's last car locked all the doors when you put it into gear, then unlocked them when you put it in park. Her new car doesn't do that 2nd part, so parks the car everybody will just yank on the door handles in vain trying to be let out until the driver hits the switch. It has never once in the 2 years she's had to car occurred to anybody to just flip the manual lock themselves and hop out.

Every time I do my family thinks I'm a magician. "How did you get out? My door is still locked!"

and that is how our Alien Overlords will control us, party people.

I am thinking about how my professor discussed Chickens with their Heads Cut Off today in class.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile

I sort of hate trips down south (i.e., the Lower 48), because then I'm afraid to drive by myself late at night, and I always have to lock the doors, etc.

Here, I don't have to worry about that stuff. People made fun of me for automatically locking my car doors out of habit when I first moved here. Of course, people don't tempt fate either...people who have really nice cars lock them.

If something were to happen, my neighbors would come to help (the walls are also thin). Alternatively, I could just punch my EMS radio as a 10-69 (officer needs emergency assistance). Someone would have to be retarded to pull a big crime in a small town. Well...that and my .357 and 500 rounds of ammunition that I have. ^___^   I <3 (heart) going to the gun range.

Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile

Couldn't you just come in unnoticed and leave the same way.  Also, I bet the various crime solving equipment is worse in rural areas.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile

My scooter's gas gauge is accurate enough, I guess. When I'm down to a half a tank, it still points to F. When I'm at a quarter tank, it points at about 2/3 full. When I'm close to empty it drops down to 1/4 full, and soon after that it dies while the next gas station is in sight.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas

Quote from: linnea
Alternatively, I could just punch my EMS radio as a 10-69 (officer needs emergency assistance).

Officer needs sexy emergency assistance, it seems.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile

hahaha... different ten-codes mean different things in different parts of the world! Apparently in your world... yeah, we all know what a ten-sixty-nine means to you, lfm.

In our service, 10-68 means officer needs assistance, 10-69 means needs EMERGENCY assistance, i.e., life or death situation. A bunch of people in town have scanners, which I guess is standard entertainment in small towns everywhere. We should be switching to a plain-English format, but a lot of people just like using ten codes. We don't want to sound like doofuses on the radio, for pity's sake.

I wouldn't know about the crime solving equipment, since I'm just a firefighter/medic and therefore don't get to solve crimes. I just help cart the wounded out and try to avoid cutting through bullet holes and other basic "provide-patient-care-first-BUUUT-try-to-avoid-messing-with-potential-evidence" stuff they teach us.
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile

Wait, you are supposed to help people but also keep the evidence in mind?  That doesn't seem very cool.

You party people get alot of shootings?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

Drastic Action

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 29
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 194
  • Zounds!
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

I was going to comment on the brilliance of your cars' locking systems, and ponder why I think such a thing is brilliant (namely, because all the cars I've ever used are patently not brilliant).  It is amazing how a little extra design thought can really make the difference.

But this comment seems out of place among the 69 codes and bullet-wound comments now.  ;P
Logged
~

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

We don't want to sound like doofuses on the radio, for pity's sake.

I always used to worry about this when I worked at the zoo. I feel so much better to know that brave sexy emergency personnel also are concerned about sounding like doofuses on the radio.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile

In our service, 10-68 means officer needs assistance, 10-69 means needs EMERGENCY assistance, i.e., life or death situation. A bunch of people in town have scanners, which I guess is standard entertainment in small towns everywhere. We should be switching to a plain-English format, but a lot of people just like using ten codes. We don't want to sound like doofuses on the radio, for pity's sake.

I swear I posted this last night but I can't find it now. In Virginia they just banned the 10 codes. Recently the ATF called in a 10-50, which to them means "traffic accident." But to the local police it means "officer down."
Logged

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site

Her new car doesn't do that 2nd part, so parks the car everybody will just yank on the door handles in vain trying to be let out until the driver hits the switch. It has never once in the 2 years she's had to car occurred to anybody to just flip the manual lock themselves and hop out.

Sounds like my '98 GM.  Are they on a vertical axis where you rotate it by pulling from the side?  Apparently few humans can operate this without extensive training.
Logged
ACHIEVE

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

It's not our fault. Millennia of evolution did not fashion our brains to deal with slightly different clever locking system ideas on every car we encounter. And don't even get me started on microwave ovens. (I still only get the one at work to start by randomly punching buttons like a monkey till it miraculously turns on.)
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas

Quote from: CortJstr
But to the local police it means "officer down."

See, that's what I thought 10-69 meant...
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up