Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood My bicycle is parked in the living room. A tub of tartar sauce sits open on the counter. Truly, the evidence of a wife being away too long.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: We should bring clutch back.  (Read 16395 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bjorn the Destroyer

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 67
  • By Odin's beard!
    • View Profile
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2007, 03:40:09 am »

In working with children in middle schools, "hecka" is indeed in use, because they have not gotten over the fact that swear words are simply words that society denies because it refuses anger as a valid feeling.

Kid: Dude that's hecka lame. We bout to go dumb.

Me: What the crap.

Kids: Ooooooh, you said C-R-A-P.

Me: srsly, shut up kid.
Logged
3-6-9 12-15-18 21-24-27 30

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 04:43:04 am »

This reminds me, there are a couple of phrases I use constantly but want to replace:

1) "You guys" - I hate that I use this, especially when I apply it to a group of women.  I do it all the damn time and I hate it.  Being from Canada, y'all just doesn't work.

2) "Good stuff" - I picked this one up a couple years ago, and now I can't stop saying it.  Someone will tell me about the work they've done, I say "hey, that's cool.  Good stuff."  Basically, anyone recounts a positive anecdote, and I'm all "good stuff."  It's getting oooold.

I need help with these two.  I need to replace them, and also, need to find a method of enforcing their replacement in my brain.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Bjorn the Destroyer

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 67
  • By Odin's beard!
    • View Profile
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2007, 04:48:16 am »

I'd suggest "You fellows" stick with it when around lady-folk for the sake of irony.

Also, "Good times."
Logged
3-6-9 12-15-18 21-24-27 30

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2007, 04:52:00 am »

That's so pail.  It's bucket.

I CANNOT BROOK 'CLUTCH' BEING USED FOR ANYTHING BUT A EUPHEMISM FOR A LADY'S PINK SECRET

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2007, 05:00:08 am »

1) "You guys" - I hate that I use this, especially when I apply it to a group of women.  I do it all the damn time and I hate it.  Being from Canada, y'all just doesn't work.

I don't think there is anything to replace that with.  Over here we usually go with ya's, but that's probably a major step down.  A few days ago I heard myself on a recording and I must've not heard myself speaking for a long time because I thought, holy shit I have a New York accent.  It was so blatant it was nearly embarrassing.  I should work on that, but certainly won't.

I like to use "bad livin'" whenever I can.  Buddy loses a twenty dollar bill?  Bad livin'.  You bet money on the Chiefs?  Bad livin'.  Pulled over for broken headlight and arrested for suspended license?  You bet that's bad livin'.
Logged
ACHIEVE

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2007, 05:15:23 am »

I have recently realized the prevalence in my dialog of:

"I feel like..." when not really a feeling. Such as "I feel like we're out of milk, Matt."

saying that I feel (for something) "deep down." ie "something about sausages bothers me... deep down."

there is a third thing, but I don't remember what it is. I will soon.

also, the combination of this board and my ex girlfriend has permanently made me enjoy phrasing things in awkward ways. "That's a big one. The sandwich, I mean."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2007, 05:37:33 am »

Replace "you guys" with "youse guys".
Logged

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2007, 06:04:32 am »

I go with "right on" in any positive response mode.

I think it is just about the most positive thing a person can say.

Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2007, 01:39:23 pm »

I like to use "bad livin'" whenever I can.  Buddy loses a twenty dollar bill?  Bad livin'.

Whenever anything good happens in our lives my friends and I say "Clean livin'."  But when things are bad now we say "Mean livin'."

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2007, 02:20:39 pm »

My best buddy and I have some fun with 80's pop culture references.

When a situation is stressful, it's "sweatin' to the oldies."  As in, "oh man, when that cop pulled me over, I was totally sweatin' to the oldies."  Also, often when we need a snack, one of us will say "I'm hungry like the wolf - you wanna grab something to eat?"

Also "no worries" is a hold over from her previous days living in Australia that has permanently worked it's way into my day to day parlance.

And as for the "you guys" replacements, what about "you folks?"  Can I do that?

I like "bad livin'"  I think I'll be using that one.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Bjorn the Destroyer

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 67
  • By Odin's beard!
    • View Profile
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2007, 08:57:16 pm »

Replace "you guys" with "youse guys".

Metalocalypse is pretty brutal.
Logged
3-6-9 12-15-18 21-24-27 30

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2007, 09:28:32 pm »

2) "Good stuff" - I picked this one up a couple years ago, and now I can't stop saying it.  Someone will tell me about the work they've done, I say "hey, that's cool.  Good stuff."  Basically, anyone recounts a positive anecdote, and I'm all "good stuff."  It's getting oooold.

The only way good stuff is bad is if you always either silently or verbally add the 'Maynard'. But if you really need a substitute, 'Aces' has always worked for me.

Page 2 so I guess we are doing this again, buckle up people, the fun train has pulled into whackytown.

ALSO: you guys...you peoples
Logged
We must repeat!

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2007, 10:32:36 pm »

Metalocalypse is pretty brutal.

I don't know what that's supposed to mean. I am thinking "stereotypical gangster movie" here.
Logged

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2007, 10:38:12 pm »

Just stay up after Futurama on Cartoon Network and you'll find out.

I don't particularly endorse this, however.
Logged
We must repeat!

linnea

  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 168
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 3332
    • View Profile
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2007, 03:06:04 am »

Just stay up after Futurama on Cartoon Network and you'll find out.

I don't particularly endorse this, however.

So is the Cartoon Network a bunch of "terrists" like Dubya says, since they spurred a bomb scare in boston?
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up