Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Wife upset because I kept her up all night playing World of Snorecraft.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: We should bring clutch back.  (Read 16361 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2007, 04:29:19 am »

And as for the "you guys" replacements, what about "you folks?"  Can I do that?

Hmm.  With an all-female group, I think "folks" sounds more awkward than "guys."  Maybe it flies with a mixed group, or maybe if you wore a cowboy hat and a bolo.

You know, now that I think of it, this is a big problem with English.  The plural of 'you' is 'you?'  What the fuck is that?  Are you to supposed to use hand gestures or something?
Logged
ACHIEVE

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2007, 07:25:35 pm »

I've come to the realization that the proper gender-neutral replacement for gender-specific group terms like "you guys" or "you girls" is "party people".

"Hey, you guys but actually some ladies too, come over here... there's a screening of The Queen."

"Hey, gals plus a guy, come over here... there's a screening of An Inconvenient Truth."

OR

"Hey, party people, come over here... there's a screening of The Fog of War."

The clear difference.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

coldfrog

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 30
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 165
  • From Shakespeare's Lights upon Friday's Eve
    • View Profile
    • Some crappy pictures I do sometimes
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2007, 09:25:30 pm »

"Hey, party people, come over here... there's a screening of The Fog of War."
Come on, party people, put your hands in the air.
Come on, party people, lets watch a bunch of documentaries.

Also, the roof is on fire because it was built under a hole in the ozone layer.
Logged
Let no man put asunder what I believe is thee proper attyre for footballe.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2007, 11:41:17 pm »

Come on, party people, put your hands in the air.
Come on, party people, lets watch a bunch of documentaries.

Also, the roof is on fire because it was built under a hole in the ozone layer.

Can'd.

Apparently R2DTrousers comes from a town populated by nothing but R. Lee Ermey's and The Miz's.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2007, 02:04:01 pm »

My caledonian eyebrow hoists quizzically at your obscure cultural references.

(clarification: I have two eyebrows and both of them are caledonian)

Edit: gah Full Metal Jacket I saw that. Fair enough.

Everybody show know the genius of R. Lee Ermey. But the Miz is one of those reality show jerk-offs with a fauxhawk and he says "hoo-ra" a lot. Apparently because he either thinks he's a marine or just really wants to meet some.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2007, 02:06:50 pm »

Come on, party people, put your hands in the air.
Come on, party people, lets watch a bunch of documentaries.

Also, the roof is on fire because it was built under a hole in the ozone layer.

I keep giving you cans.  That is what I do.

Also, maybe I'll just start using vous.  Everyone round here would get it.  No.  No. Party People is definitely better.  I'll report back after a couple applications.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2007, 02:44:46 pm »

You know, now that I think of it, this is a big problem with English.  The plural of 'you' is 'you?'  What the fuck is that?  Are you to supposed to use hand gestures or something?

I thought that Spanish (in this hemispere) didn't have a plural version of you (familiar) either. Or do they just use ustedes?

Anyway. I like diznoofuses. As in "gizzizup, my diznoofuses."
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2007, 02:57:24 pm »

Anyway. I like diznoofuses. As in "gizzizup, my diznoofuses."

You just received the Phil Hartman Memorial Tiny Can of Dr. Pepper.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2007, 03:25:33 pm »

You just received the Phil Hartman Memorial Tiny Can of Dr. Pepper.

I'd like to thank August, the Academy, and the good people at Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor. And of course, Colon Blow.
Logged

Bjorn the Destroyer

  • YOUR OLD FRIEND BLISTER
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 8
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 67
  • By Odin's beard!
    • View Profile
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2007, 06:02:44 pm »

I thought that Spanish (in this hemispere) didn't have a plural version of you (familiar) either. Or do they just use ustedes?

Anyway. I like diznoofuses. As in "gizzizup, my diznoofuses."

I'm not one to speculate on the espanol. But in Brazilian Portuguese, we do have plural "you"s, but we basically don't care to use them because the Portuguese use them and we don't care much for anything from Portugal with the exception possibly of fortified wines.

Friday fun fact: Did you know that in America, they tell Polish jokes, but in Brazil, they tell jokes about people from Portugal? It's the truth!

Example: Why do Portuguese cars have windshield wipers on the inside? Because they drive their cars like this! (pantomime turning a steering wheel and making engine noises with your mouth, spraying spittle for effect as you do so.)
Logged
3-6-9 12-15-18 21-24-27 30

iron_felix

  • Lie Bot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 373
    • View Profile
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2007, 06:38:53 pm »

Having spent most of my formative years in Georgia, for about thirteen years of my life I had to consciously avoid using the word "y'all."  Now one of my friends here in Arizona has consciously adopted it as a more PC means of addressing people.  Go figure.  I'm sure there will be plenty of people who disagree with me on this, but I think society has applied "you guys" indiscriminately for long enough now to neuter it as a phrase.  I have used it myself with exclusively female groups before without it feeling awkward or anything.  I absolutely cannot abide by the possessive "you guys's," however.  I used to think that that monstrosity was confined to the script of Napoleon Dynamite, but sadly this has proven not to be the case.

I believe "hoo-rah" as a military thing is used more as a general-purpose interjection than in the manner of "hella" (is that what you meant, R2DTrousers?  As in "hoo-rah yellin' about the sex?")  I'll admit my knowledge of this is limited to my interactions with a Young-Republican-type mug back in high school and a friend of mine who recently dated a Marine.  I could be completely mistaken.
Logged

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2007, 06:40:24 pm »

In Buenos Aires, a dialect called Lumfardo is used, with the word vos meaning "you, plural" whereas in Chile they use the standard vosotros for "you, plural." The necessity is mitigated by the required conjugation of verbs into "you, plural" form.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2007, 07:09:51 pm »

The thing is, if you say 'you guys' it will get my attention, but if you say 'party people' it will never occur to me that I am being addressed.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2007, 09:33:47 pm »

Hell -yes- Chile!

*does a little dance, where the main move is Liking Chile*
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2007, 11:03:55 pm »

Where I grew up in PA people use "you guys's" as well as "yins" but it's mainly kids and low-class adults that say it.
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up