Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Hydroponic seltzer clams.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: We should bring clutch back.  (Read 16311 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

slink

  • Mod Squad
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 47
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3051
  • Слінк Ядранко
    • View Profile
    • OMD on MySpace
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2007, 10:59:00 pm »

Are there other Canadian accents besides Ont, Quebecois,  and whatever you call the variety spoken in BC (which didn't sound all that different from West Coast US to me) ?

Newfy, for one... (and most amusingly).
Logged
FOOD CHAIN! GET USED TO IT!

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2007, 11:17:18 pm »

my friend does a Quebecois accent-- as none of us have ever met a Quebecois, I assume that it is correct.

The way I will test this: When you meet a person from Quebec, do you want to punch them right in their face? Or look in their mouth for whatever it is full of?

If yes, then his accent is really good.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2007, 04:13:29 am »

Actually, according to dialecticians, where I am from  - Manitoba - is considered "accent neutral," which is why most companies who want a North American call center have one/and/or their main branch in my area.  We sound non-specifically North American here.  Back in my call center days, I'd only get caught if I said "about" or "zed."  There's loads of Canadian accents though - Quebec (ineve is right btw), Newfie, East Coast, West Coast, Northern, Rural Francophone... there's more, but these are the most distinct.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2007, 04:21:31 am »

I have been accused of saying "about" like a Canadian. Once this is pointed out, though, I start saying it the American way. So I am not sure if that is true.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2007, 06:02:53 am »

I'd only get caught if I said "about" or "zed."

Well, how often do you have to say zed, besides for, "Zed's dead, baby."?
Logged
ACHIEVE

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2007, 06:09:39 am »

I am pretty sure if someone mentions "Timbits" then they are Canadian.

Unless their boyfriend is named Tim, I suppose.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

V-Adore

  • Guest
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2007, 10:58:44 am »

Is it wrong that I want American English to pick up the use of "zed?" I consider it to be a fabulous word.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2007, 12:22:44 pm »

I taught in Canada for a year and as I remember it, the students really hated it that I didn't say 'zed' and I taunted them by saying 'zee' at every opportunity.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #68 on: February 13, 2007, 01:44:39 pm »

I taught in Canada for a year and as I remember it, the students really hated it that I didn't say 'zed' and I taunted them by saying 'zee' at every opportunity.

This is only barely related, but it bugs the crap out of me that the narrator on Mythbusters uses british rules for collective nouns. Every time he says "the build team are" I want to find him and strike him. Especially because I know in England they dub over him with another guy.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2007, 02:05:22 pm »

I taught in Canada for a year and as I remember it, the students really hated it that I didn't say 'zed' and I taunted them by saying 'zee' at every opportunity.

I dealt with the reverse for way too long.  There would be people who would fly in to a rage if I accidentally said zed instead of zee.  And I had to say it constantly because my id code (derived from my last name, and.. random numbers) had a "z" in it.  And this was what you had to give people to when they were pissed off at you.  It was hilarious to encounter people who were truly unaware of what zed meant.  I definitely remember a least a couple party people being all "zed?  What's zed?  What are you saying?  I don't understand you."  It was fantastic.  I'd also always get the "you don't say zed-bra do you?" question at least once a day.  Which, well... fuck you.  I'm married to saying "zed" - like I said, I've got one in my last name, so it's something ingrained in me from kindergarten times. 

Also, I remember one guy taunting me when I told him I was transferring him to tech support, telling him the wait "is about 3 minutes."  He said "What?  Say 'about' again.  Say it.  Say 'about.'"  "Like I said sir, the wait is approximately 3 minutes."  "No.  I want you to say it.  Say 'abooout.'  Where are you from?  You're Canadian aren't you?"  I'm pretty sure I just transferred him without a word.  This sort of thing happend all the freakin' time.

These are stories from back in dumbrella days - back then I was posting from the pit of hell that was the call center.

(Also, interesting:  Spell Check doesn't know what "zee" is, but accepts "zed.")
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2007, 03:48:46 pm »

(Also, interesting:  Spell Check doesn't know what "zee" is, but accepts "zed.")

It knows aitch, and that's what's really important.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2007, 05:30:22 pm »

I grew up in the midwest with virtually no accent whatsoever, although according to my in-laws I do say "cyalender" and "cyoopon."  Since moving south fourteen years ago - I have finally reached the point where I've spent equal time in the South and the North now -- I've adopted "y'all" as a useful substitute for "you guys" but this changes depending on the situation.  I tend to talk like whoever I'm speaking with at the time so I even develop a faint Spanish accent when I spend too much time around my mother-in-law.  When I go see my hair stylist I come out sounding like Scarlett O'Hara with a bad case of the "girl-friend"s. 

Every time I visit family in Ohio it takes me about a week to switch back to "soda" from "pop." 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Sub_Topical

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 41
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 316
  • Cog -> Machine
    • View Profile
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2007, 05:47:34 pm »

Does anyone else in the world say soda as so-der like I do? I mean, wash as warsh and tater for potato I can figger, er, figure. But who the holy-molys says soder and how did it infect me?
Logged
We must repeat!

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2007, 07:56:56 pm »

jl-- do people really say Pop there? i feel like people in Charlotte say Soda. But I suppose it -is- a bastion of Carpetbaggers.

Also: the way my friend Alison says "bag" and "flag" and such endlessly entertains me.
"So, Dan, I was listening to Black Flayg the other day..."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2007, 09:09:22 pm »

I can attest that it is indeed called "pop" in Ohio.

Here in Georgia, regardless of the brand or flavoring, it's all called "Coke."

"Hey, you want a Coke?"
"Sure."
"What kind?"
"..."
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up