Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Supporting" bacon is easy. Who's going to get on the mayonnaise bandwagon with me?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: We should bring clutch back.  (Read 16317 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

coldfrog

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 30
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 165
  • From Shakespeare's Lights upon Friday's Eve
    • View Profile
    • Some crappy pictures I do sometimes
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2007, 09:23:37 pm »

In Delaware, about half the state says wu-der instead of waw-ter and it drives me nuuuuuuuuts.  Does this occur anywhere else at all.

I think zed is sweet.  I would like to use it frequently, but there are not many places I can use it.
Logged
Let no man put asunder what I believe is thee proper attyre for footballe.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2007, 09:32:16 pm »

In what people from Manhattan call "Upstate New York" and what real human beings call "Central New York" the soda/pop divide is pretty interesting.

From just east of Syracuse and on east to Albany and New England, we uniformly call it "soda".

From Rochester west to Buffalo and the Canadian border, it is called "pop" by all.

And from east of Rochester to Syracuse, there is shaded overlap.

My theory is that it is proliferated by the Buffalo-based Wegmans grocery store chain calling its generic soda brands "pop" and advertising sodas as "pop" and... the easternmost Wegmans grocery store being in Syracuse.

I'm sure that, you know, in general "pop" is Midwestern and "soda" is Northeastern/Middle-Atlantic and the linguistic border would fall somewhere between the Buffalo metro area and the Albany metro area but...

It appears that the difference that finally sifted out was whether you lived in Price Chopper (and formerly Big M or P&C) grocery territory which used the Albany-based nomenclature or Wegman's grocery territory which used Buffalo-based nomenclature.

When it sifted out that Wegmans only penetrated as far east as Syracuse and, indeed, Price Chopper did not penetrate much further than Syracuse's western suburbs... so sifted out what people call their fizzy drinks.

That's why, being from the eastern suburbs of Utica, I use the correct word "soda".

As the power of the region chains and, indeed, regional media fade, future generations will probably be less influenced by this divide but... the difference was uniform as my parents grew up in the 60s and still prominent as I grew up in the 80s...

So my using "soda" is still an artifact of regional chains and their media influence as opposed to growing national retail and media forces which... seem to be pushing for "soda" anyway.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2007, 09:35:02 pm »

I actually prefer the term "soft drink" - as, to me, "drink" is reserved for beverages containing alcohol.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2007, 09:45:05 pm »

I can attest that it is indeed called "pop" in Ohio.

Here in Georgia, regardless of the brand or flavoring, it's all called "Coke."

"Hey, you want a Coke?"
"Sure."
"What kind?"
"..."

It was also this way where I grew up in Western Kentucky.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2007, 10:36:50 pm »

I actually prefer the term "soft drink" - as, to me, "drink" is reserved for beverages containing alcohol.

Conversational exchange:

    Curmudgeon: "...get me something to drink."
    Neophyte: "OK, I'll draw up some fresh water from the well."
    Curmudgeon: "I said something to drink!  Not something to bathe in!"

From a graphic novel that floats somewhere in my memory.  Perhaps based even on actual printed-word novels.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2007, 11:32:31 pm »

I can attest that it is indeed called "pop" in Ohio.

Here in Georgia, regardless of the brand or flavoring, it's all called "Coke."

"Hey, you want a Coke?"
"Sure."
"What kind?"
"..."

When I was a kid I would always go to restaurants and order a coke.  After I got coke I was hugely disapointed, I think I wanted Dr. Pepper.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2007, 12:15:46 am »

Does anyone else in the world say soda as so-der like I do? I mean, wash as warsh and tater for potato I can figger, er, figure. But who the holy-molys says soder and how did it infect me?

Sometimes I say "sodey," but only when I'm being flip. 

Like when I call my dad "pops." 

Sometimes I forget that the fifties are over. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2007, 12:48:28 am »

JL!

Good lord!

Ok, I am going to take a map of NC and mark it out. I just talked to the girl who lives across the hall, who is from Winston-Salem.

the map will be divided, and will somehow delineate:
Charlotte-- Soda
Raleigh-- Pop
Winston-Salem-- Coke.

WTF?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2007, 12:57:29 am »

A soda has ice cream in it. Duh
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2007, 01:43:53 am »

JL!

Good lord!

Ok, I am going to take a map of NC and mark it out. I just talked to the girl who lives across the hall, who is from Winston-Salem.

the map will be divided, and will somehow delineate:
Charlotte-- Soda
Raleigh-- Pop
Winston-Salem-- Coke.

WTF?

No, no no....Raleigh is Soda.  Sometimes Coke, but you hear that more Down East. 

Ohio is Pop.  I lived there 'til I was 14, and I sometimes regress if I've been visiting the Yank side of the family.  You'll occasionally encounter someone who says "pop" here, but that's a dead giveaway that the speaker is a transplant. 
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2007, 02:10:05 am »

oh.
huh.
I misremembered what you had said. Weirddd.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2007, 03:05:02 am »

Cort, if it's got ice cream in it, it's called a float.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

jough

  • God's Own Dick
  • Administrator
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 948
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6871
  • If you've got the time, we've got El Guapo.
    • View Profile
    • poetry archives
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2007, 04:40:44 am »

They call it "pop" in Chicago, unfortunately.

Also, everyone in Philly that I knew said "wooder" for "water." 

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2007, 03:32:21 pm »

Cort, if it's got ice cream in it, it's called a float.

That's only for root beer. Otherwise you have a cherry soda or whatever.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: We should bring clutch back.
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2007, 05:35:39 pm »

Where I was from, anything with ice cream in it became a "that soda" float.

At the ice cream stands where I grew up, Coke floats were more commonly ordered than root beer floats.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up